Hit Network

A big hit to possible succession plans and a gaping hole for a replacement.

Which Big Brother/Bachelor/MAFS contestants are looking?

5 Likes

I wonder if Dan Debuf is in the mix?

2015 anyone? :joy:

4 Likes

Unlikely. He’s in Perth and has work…

4 Likes

Traveling? Good luck with that. In all seriousness, sad to see him go!

3 Likes

They need to put someone like Neil ‘Wilko’ Wilcock in to replace Gawndy.

1 Like

It would not at all surprise me if 2DayFM/SCA were looking to dump Hughesy, Ed & Erin. Despite running a “$1 Million Alphabucks” competition (at least going by the TV ad I saw a few nights ago), there’s really limited ratings growth potential with the current brekky team.

But if it’s true that Wendy Harmer might be returning, talk about desperation! Yes, Harmer was part of an actually good 2DayFM Morning Crew…but that was in the 1990s and Early 2000s, the Sydney radio landscape has changed heaps since then especially when it comes to what people want from the FM stations!

4 Likes

Where did you hear about Harmer returning to 2Day?

1 Like

Seems to be somewhere within the “ABC Radio scrambles to replace breakfast duo” article from Annette Sharp in today’s Sunday Telegraph + The Daily Telegraph online via a paywall.

As per my comments in another thread though, what 2DayFM breakfast really needs is a couple of young gun hosts (around the Late 20s/Early 30s age range - young enough to still connect with the kids, yet mature enough to appeal to their parents) which will actually make the rival Sydney FM brekky presenters sound like daggy oldies.

4 Likes

I don’t think 2Day have any real hope, they either need to get K&J back, or wait for them for implode/split or move on from KIIS brekky.

2 Likes

I doubt K&J will ever return to 2Day. If they are waiting for a return or them to end their run, that’s an unhealthy way to run a business. They need to do their own thing.

3 Likes

Even if Harmer returns to 2Day, it’s a completely different audience these days. Many of those who grew up listening to her would’ve transitioned into K&J listeners, or would now be stuck on ABC702 regardless.

It’d be interesting to see if an audience would follow someone who has to introduce a format change (ie ABC listeners don’t want to hear Justin Bieber every 30mins).

3 Likes

Really? I’d say that the people who listened to Wendy Harmer on 2DayFM in 2001 (which didn’t follow her over to ABC Radio Sydney of course) are more likely to be Smooth/WSFM listeners in 2021!

3 Likes

Wendy without Peter is like Alan without Stephanie

4 Likes

Kyle has said repeatedly he won’t go back to SCA, so while he is on KIIS and the other existing Fm breakfast shows stay in place 2day fm has no option but music for Breakfast. Their best option is to develop their existing talent such as Tom & Olly to put into breakfast when one of the other existing shows wraps up.

No disrespect to Wendy Harmer as she is an outstanding broadcaster, but If SCA management is considering this option it is absolutely ludicrous, and they should all do a Gladys!!!

The target market that grew up listening to Wendy. Paul and Peter Moon would be in their mid 40’s or older now and would have moved to older skewing stations, they certainty would not return to 2day fm and tolerate Bieber, RnB and the mismatch of old and new music currently played on 2day fm. It simply won’t work.

If Jonesy and Amanda were to call it a day, WS fm would be the best station to get the crew back together Wendy, Paul and Moony.

If SCA is considering Wendy Harmer maybe they should also consider Doug Mulray for 2day breakfast.

Seriously 2day fm only option is music for Breakfast, they need to stop wasting their money on Breakfast shows that will only rate 2.5 or 3%. This will continue to be the case until Kyle retires or one of the other fm breakfast shows ends.

9 Likes

Exactly!

I agree, although realistically there’s probably more of a chance of Kyle & Jackie O moving to WSFM once Jonesy & Amanda call it a day (or they’re pushed out by ARN) - by which point in time K&JO will probably be too old for KIIS anyway.

…or if 2DayFM really has to have a personality-centric breakfast show, just take the cheapest possible option and relay the Hit (some of) Regional NSW brekky show into Sydney.

3 Likes

You’ve stumbled on a great idea. Alan misses dusty radio studios and time calls. SCA should sign him up and team him with Stephanie. The 2DayFM Morning Glorya Crew with Acerbic AJ and Acid Tongued Steph.

7 Likes

That show has to be rebuilt too with Gawndy leaving, some pain to come for Hit 101.3!!!

Letting Bodge go probably was not the best idea by SCA.

2 Likes

Absolutely agreed.

Gawndy IS Hit 101.3. It is an enormous loss.

2 Likes

I wonder if we’ll see Bodge & Maz in 2022?

2 Likes

and Kyle without Jackie O

The only difference is Wendy and Peter Moon hated each other, the tension between them made the show.
When Peter Moon left the show and Greg Fleet took over the show went downhill.

The same could be said when Marty left KTM.

5 Likes