Hit Network

Rebrand to 2Morrow FM? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

2Day FM has been playing more safe and predictable soft rock/country this week, so I don’t know how this is going to attract more listeners during the workday and weekends.

It looks like they are going away from edgier music and more towards a Soft AC format.

2 Likes

More like Sydney’s #12 Hit Music Station, in light of the most recent ratings results! :wink:

I know you’re joking, but “2Moro” has already been taken by an Arabic language narrowcast station on 1620AM!

3 Likes

But would probably get more ratings on 104.1 than what’s there now!

4 Likes

Maybe they might go after the Smooth audience - some of them are probably not that thrilled with the tweaks Smooth has made to its playlist in the last year or two.

2 Likes

Not quite Sydney’s Widest Variety of Music from the 80’s to Now, but near enough.

The Hits You Love From The 90s To Now

2 Likes

That reminds me of when Mix 106.5 used “Sydney’s Widest Variety of Music from the 90s to Now” as their positioner back in 2013, not long before it became KIIS.

3 Likes

Can’t really see (or more to the point, hear) these latest 2DayFM music tweaks doing much to improve their abysmal ratings.

I think “[AREA]'s Widest Variety of Music” was a fairly popular positioner for stations early last decade, as I seem to recall it being used on 2GO (and no doubt other SCA regionals) for a bit before their “Greatest Hits” phase.

3 Likes

Around the same time as Mix in Melbourne swung towards Hot AC positioned as ‘The Widest Variety of Music from 2K to Today’. Definitely not the best executed Hot AC product out - tempo was totally all over the place for instance, but I digress.

Back on topic - just heard a break on 2Day from Nic Kelly. When did the brand revert to ‘Today’ (instead of ‘Two-day’)? I’m sure it’s swung back and forth between the… two… for the last few decades.

2 Likes

I’m happy to be corrected, but I’m positive it’s never been called “two-day fm” on air. It’s always been pronounced “Today FM”.

8 Likes

Clearly having a Mandela effect moment - don’t mind me!

3 Likes

Possibly but I don’t think the ex-Smooth listeners will go across to 2Day with the music they are playing. I guess SCA are trying to fill a gap in the market by playing many of the artists they used to play before the launch of Nova in 2001 which you don’t hear much on Smooth or WSFM (B-52s, Roachford, Sheryl Crow, Jewel, Mr Big) as well as the artists you do hear on Smooth (Cher, Madonna, Santana, Shania Twain).

I think if ratings don’t improve they will likely adopt the Fox / B105 playlist in 2022. I can’t see the Mix 94.5 playlist being adopted in Sydney.

2 Likes

If (well, probably when…) 2DayFM’s ratings don’t improve with the music format changes they’ve made, then IMO there should be no choice but to totally relaunch 104.1 Sydney as a whole new station.

Yes, I’m all for giving breakfast shows and music formats a chance to resonate with the market if they’re slowly building an audience. Even a station only getting 5% overall can be considered a success if it’s a leader in key demographics, but 2DayFM just isn’t in that position - they’ve been going backwards across the board all year with no sign of any substantial improvements likely in the near future.

And sure, a completely new 104.1 mightn’t be a success overnight but is there really much for SCA to lose at this point with 2DayFM’s ratings currently hovering somewhere around 2.5% overall? Before the “breaking the network” arguments come up again, realistically any new format tried in Sydney that enjoys even moderate ratings/demographic success is likely to eventually be rolled out across the country and copied by rival networks (in some form or another) within a year or so…because that’s how Australian FM commercial radio has done things for at least the last couple of decades.

3 Likes

Or another option for them if they don’t want to go down a Dance/Urban/Soul, rhythmic CHR format, would be to adopt the Triple M Soft Rock playlist (which is very good) for 2Day FM and replace Triple M Soft Rock on DAB+ with another streaming station from LiSTNR in the Sydney market, but keep Triple M Soft Rock on DAB+ in all the other markets.

Triple M Sydney could then go to a more modern-rock type edgier format similar to 2001-2004 when Nova launched.

However, this is all just speculation and it might just be easier for 2Day FM to adopt the Fox / B105 playlist in 2022.

3 Likes

I think we need a fantasy hit network thread for all this, as that’s what it all is.

1 Like

What network is there to break? The only network left is the common shows and a tiny bit of the logo.

Otherwise it’s just like the KIIS network, 96fm and KIIS Sydney are about as far away as you could get, but they can sell the advertisers a national network so they are fine.

Mix is already different from b105, Fox is nothing like 2day. It would be indecision more than trying to keep a network together.

7 Likes

Maybe they could try and copy Star 104.5’s format? and leave Triple M for rock?

2 Likes

Why can’t 2Day, or any commercial Sydney station just play new hit music only?

Be like Triple J, but commercial.

Don’t play old school. Don’t play older hits. Just break new stuff now.

It’s today’s hit music, so it makes sense it should be heard in a station called 2Day.

4 Likes

The Edge mostly does. They have very few throwbacks.

2 Likes

Yeah because clearly whatever 2Day FM is today is working so well for them.

2 Likes