Hit Network

Will take your comment @tommy13190 as sarcasm.

Regional markets require the same respect as metro markets. Tailor the music and programming to the specific market.

The highest audience and advertising revenue can then be extracted from the station. This applies to all markets, metro and regional.

3 Likes

Haha Lol, I will be on your side for a minute @crankymedia are you saying that the Hits and Old School format that plays in every regional market in Australia, that (H&OS) name should be differentiated in some markets just like how they did it in Adelaide (Hits with Even More Old School All Day) hit 107?

I personally think that radio stations (not just those of SCA, but all broadcasters) should be tailoring their format(s) to what best fits the market - whether it be a metropolitan or regional area.

Radio networks need to allow the individual local broadcasters need to have their format tailored to the demographics of each market and the music/content that their listeners like, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, that is how proper radio is done. SCA might not have been doing it for the last few years, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done.

Local MD in all markets, it has been done, can be done and is being done by other stations.

Bit of perspective though. There’s not as much difference between markets as many would like to think. There’s also far less difference between say Sydney & Central Coast as there is Sydney and Narrogin.

That being said, for a lot of the really regional markets, the SCA (or other network) stations are the only stations in the market, so the format doesn’t even really matter…

For many years 2DAY format was quite different to 101.3 Sea format and likewise market competitor Star.

1 Like

I do think that if they can run 3 different music formats across the various Triple M regionals, then offering regional Hit stations 2 or even 3 different logs to choose from shouldn’t be that hard?

1 Like

I think Bunbury and Kalgoorlie are quite different, yet they have exactly the same station (except ads, although I"m sure it’s all Harvery Norman anyway!)

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

4 Likes

There’s a big difference between an under performing station in the countries biggest radio market, with many competitors having different formats, and regional markets with little to no competition.

For sure there are differences between markets, particularly between those will extremely different demographics, however I’d question how much of a local influence a local MD would ad. No regional station that I know of has a dedicated MD, they always have other duties as well, so they can’t spend their whole day researching the latest music trends in their area. I’d question how much research as even been done in regional areas about what music does and doesn’t work - with or without a local MD. Does a local MD really know if the latest Ed Sheeran song is more or less popular in their local area that the national average? Without this information, how does the music log actually reflect the local area? What I’ve heard from music schedulers is that their logs (for CHR at least) are mostly based on national charts and their own personal view. While this is the case, how much different is a local log really going to be than one from halfway across the country?

For the Nova network for music Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide are classed as the same market. (Top 40) on high rotation.

Brisbane and Perth are the only ones that have their own unique music logs.

Brisbane: top 40 / alternative / Throwbacks

Perth top 40 / Variety / Throwbacks.
Perth plays the most throwbacks as they are competing with Mix 94.5

If Nova had music logs adapted to each individual market they would probably rate higher then they do now in Sydney / Melbourne / Adelaide.

2 Likes

Nova would also rate higher if they actually had their frequency ID in their sweepers

1 Like

Interestingly, Here we thought that Harley was a regular on the Weekend Breakfast show with Tanya Hennessy if not a full part of the show but i think he might have been just a weekly guest, as Tanya and Danny have just been doing the show on their own for the past three weeks

1 Like

Interesting email I received today:

Dear Killy06,
We have not met but it’s long overdue for me to introduce myself and say hello!

My name is Gemma and I am the Head of the Hit radio network and am fortunate to be working alongside a brilliant team of music directors, producers, announcers, social media whizzes, content creators and more.

I’m writing to you to say thank you for being a Hit105 fan and to ask for your help.

As a team we strive every day to play the music you love and deliver shows that keep you entertained, laughing and informed. Our events and social media feeds are all about staying connected to you and your fellow Hit105 listeners.

But who knows if we are doing a great job of it and if there are things we can do to be even better? That’s where you come in!

Radio is intimate. Radio is personal. Whether you’re listening in your car, in your home, at your desk or through your device to and from work your radio choice is personal and often a big part of your day.

It’s personal for us here at Hit105 & the Hit Network too. I’d love to hear from you if you have passionate, personal views on what we should be doing more, or even less, of.

Killy06, I’d love to know what shows you are loving and what shows are not your personal cup of tea. What music gets you going, what music does nothing for you. Please email me personally at gemma@hit.com.au.

This is your station and we want you to love it. We don’t take for granted the privilege of being part of your life – whether it’s a laugh on the way home after a crap day at work or the perfect song when you’re sad after a break up.

Sorry it’s taken me so long to say hi but I thank you for listening, and can’t wait to hear from you so we can make Hit105 even more personal for you this year.

Gemma + the Hit Network team

6 Likes

Might like to start with B105. Lipstick on a pig, the station is still a pig.

PIG 105?

Funny, I got the exact same email from The Fox

Not surprised, seems very generic in nature and I assume would’ve gone out in all markets with a hit branded station.

Melbourne Morning announcer Keegs returned to air yesterday after having a couple of weeks off

1 Like

I thought all the Nova stations were the same and played the same music everyday except for maybe Nova in Perth where it is jointly owned by ARN and NE and the music is slightly older because of the ARN influence, just like how Hit104.7 in Canberra which is another station ARN shares ownership with but this time with SCA and the Hits and Old School that plays maybe the same as every other station in the Hit Regional Network but you can tell that the sweepers are different and more daggier to all the other hit network stations because of the ARN influence

Gemma has sent another one today due to the email yesterday the servers crashed.

You might have received an email from me yesterday asking for your thoughts on the Fox - my inbox was flooded with such amazing feedback our servers went into overload!

If you sent me an email overnight and received an error message, sincere apologies. Our technical team have been hard at work getting our email system up and running again.

Matt, please re-send your feedback as I’d love to know what shows you are loving and what shows are not your personal cup of tea. What music gets you going, what music does nothing for you. Please email me personally at gemma@hit.com.au.