Hit Network

Nights build up TSL for a station traditionally as those who are listening, do it for longer.

Triple M have been doing the same forever.

2Day FM appears to be presenter-less again today.

apparently MC & Jaben don’t return until Monday next week - surprised they aren’t putting floaters in this week

Like Ellie Angel? I suppose it’s cheaper to have no presenters. Shhhh don’t tell management. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So 2DayFM are playing a more adult playlist during the day and reverting to CHR of a night. This reminds me of how 2DayFM sounded from around 1995 - 2001 (when Nova went to air 2DayFM shifted to 24/7 CHR). The 9am - 7pm shift was AC and nights were CHR and a little dance orientated.

Between those years people who wanted CHR had nowhere else to go during the day so they stayed tuned to 1041. Nowadays the CHR audience can move to Nova or KIIS during the day.

This morning I heard Matchbox 20’s “Real World” on 2DayFM and loved it. As long as they don’t repeat the same 80s and 90s hits and make the music more of a surprise I may tune in during the workday.

I sill will not be listening at breakfast. This morning at 8.55am when the team were signing off one of the male hosts said “And we will be back tomorrow morning if management lets us” and this was followed by a loud burst of “spontaneous” laughter. Ever since Kyle and Jackie O left the station the breakfast show has been ruined by a belief that lots of laughter will make the audience think that the show is genuinely funny, instead it’s seriously irritating.

3 Likes

Firstly, the show ended at 9:10am this morning not 8:55am and secondly are you ever going to look for the positives? This show is with out a doubt the best show they’ve offered since K&J, yeah it’s not perfect, but what they’ve got going at the moment it’s a start. It’ll only get better. It’s ok to be critical when it’s warranted but I think this time they’re doing alright. The laughing thing. Look, your right, Christian really needs to be removed from the air. He laughs at absolutely everything. It’s totally unnecessary.

3 Likes

Get rid of the “canned laughter” and they may have fewer people flicking to other stations at 6.35am. It’s very American but it does not work in Australia. It takes the warmth out of the show.

The other stations that offer comedy at breakfast do not have this type of forced laughter - including KIIS, Nova and, of course, 2GB.

Kate, Tim and Marty, Hughesy and Kate and Hamish and Andy all have success without the need for a laugh every 17 seconds.

Less fake laughs can move 2DayFM’s cumulative audience into a higher quarter hour shares if fewer people hit the change station switch.

it was in regards to a loose conversation they had where it got a bit risque. Try and listen to the whole break.

1 Like

OK everyone - I admit it - the 2DayFM breakfast show is hysterical.

Who is he? What does he do?

But we’ve established it’s not canned laughter but an annoying team member in the studio. With three team members there now, there should be little reason to have another team member’s microphone switched on all the time especially if he is uncontrollably laughing at everything and anything.

Not totally sure. He’s a producer of some sorts but it was very annoying during Em & Harley and it’s carried over to this show. He really doesn’t need to be there especially when he doesn’t even talk! So I’m not sure why his mic is on.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain that Christian Hull has been moved onto working on the Carrie & Tommy show now based on all his behind the scenes posts on their social accounts the past week or so.

Essentially he’s a a digital producer for the network and contributes on-air sometimes.

Also known as, Trish

1 Like

Can confirm that Christian Hull is a Digital Producer and hasn’t worked on the show since July.

The mysterious laughter in the studio is Ben Wasley, the Melbourne panel operator for the show. He was also Hamish and Andy’s first panel op- they nicknamed him Giggling Ben.

1 Like

Ah ok. My bad. Apologises to Christian. However, it doesn’t change the fact the laugh needs to go!

2 Likes

I must admit I have simplified it to “radio must be relevant to its audience, and for most people that means local and live”. I would’ve thought that applied equally to Sydneysiders and Melburnians, as to any other licence area. (I got that from a few years back when I was working in Gippsland and TRFM had an ex-soapie actor as its breakfast host. NRL state of origin was happening and the actor prattled on about for a few days - the radios at work switched to StarFM.).

Are Melburnians more demanding and tougher at assessing of relevance? - I’ll take your guidance. Clearly amping up the relevance (ie we have an ex-AFL player on our brekky crew at MelbFM) is an absolutely legitimate competitive tactic (and also is part of the game of demonstrating a competitor is not relevant to listeners). I think the major hole in the 2DAY line up, is will Sydneysiders consider a bunch of Melburnians relevant. One possibly forgivable, two maybe not.

In terms of other differences, please tell me what else, as I like your different opinions and it helps me learn. BTW I assume you are not talking agency v direct advertising (for which I assume agency portion is higher in Sydney).

2 Likes

I think a big problem 2Day FM Breakfast currently has (and did last year) is broadcasting the show from Melbourne. THEY NEED TO BROADCAST A SYDNEY BREAKFAST SHOW FROM SYDNEY!!!

You know you’re not the first to say this, right?

Yes mate I do read posts on Media Spy.