Historic News Events

The Gulf War in 1991 saw simulcasts with US networks CNN, ABC America, CBS and NBC on our networks with 7 having full access to NBC and 10 simulcasting CNN

1 Like

Seven News’ coverage of the dust storm that blanketed Melbourne 40 years ago today.

YouTube: 7NEWS Australia

4 Likes

So Ash Wednesday was just after the 1983 Melbourne Dust Storm?

Two big events.

1 Like

Yep. I remember the day of the Dust storm. I was at school. I don’t recall it being as dark as other areas of the city had but at home we saw everything outside was being tinted in brown as the dust settled

2 Likes

I wasn’t around… but I’ve heard stories. My mother was a teacher stuck in a music classroom during the afternoon storm. It would have been a big event for the evening news that night.

2 Likes

The Sydney Lindt Cafe Siege will feature in an upcoming episode of Code One on 22 Feb. Includes content from TMS that morning and the evacuation of the news room etc.

3 Likes

Looking forward to that one, purely for the archive footage.

1 Like

There is already full CNN coverage on YouTube posted a few months ago

1 Like

Going to be fascinating to go behind the scenes on what happened at the Martin Place studios that day.

3 Likes

i remember this day well i was leaving my house to go somewhere when the news broke, was this Australia’s first terrorist incident since Russell Street in 1986?

2 Likes

I worked in the same building as Sunrise when this happened and was about 20 minutes away from going to the Lindt Cafe for a morning coffee when it all kicked off. Interesting to reflect on it now that a few years have passed.

5 Likes

Russel Street isn’t considered a terrorist incident, you may be thinking of the Turkish Consulate bombing later in 1986?

But even then there were terrorism incidents between that and Lindt Cafe.

2 Likes

Yep.

1 Like

This Thursday (February 16) marks 40 years since Ash Wednesday bushfires hit South Australia and Victoria. 47 died in Victoria and 28 died in SA.

Here is Ten News’ report of the Victorian scene at that time.

1 Like

Ash Wednesday fires were the 16/02/83.

2 Likes

According to Mal Walden’s book… this bulletin was a changing point for 10 News in the 80s. I believe they were one of the first stations to obtain actual vision on the fires for their 6pm news.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction.

There will be a commemoration ceremony at the Ash Wednesday Bushfire Education Centre at Cockatoo today.

3 Likes

The dust storm was the precursor to Ash Wednesday.

Just as the 2009 heatwave was the precursor to Black Saturday.

Both happened about a week apart from each other.

4 Likes
2 Likes

my mum immigrated here the day before, she watched it live

1 Like