Hey Hey It's Saturday

Walt Disney World approached Hey, Hey in 1995 to produce some shows from Florida to commemorate the theme park’s 25th anniversary and showcase it to Australians. That anniversary coincided with Hey Hey’s 25th anniversary in October 1996. Walt Disney World opened October 1, 1971 and Hey, Hey It’s Saturday went to air for the first time on October 9, 1971.

The Hey, Hey It’s Walt Disney World specials were broadcast in 1996 on October 19 and 26.

8 Likes

I also remember in 1991/2 they did a Movie World special on the Gold Coast.

1 Like

Fingers crossed for a reunion special on the occasion of the 50th anniversary in October 2021.

5 Likes

According to this website, a lot of the special themed episodes are up on heyhey.tv.

1 Like

That would be great. Somers made the mistake, I think, of wanting a weekly show again after the comeback specials, when he should have just been satisfied with the odd special. As a weekly show it was well past its use by date.

7 Likes

What would they call the 50 Year special though?

Hey Hey It’s 50 Years?
Hey Hey It’s the Show That Won’t Die?

1 Like

Hey Hey It’s Zimmer Frames?

Just thinking about this and I’m not even sure it could be done considering the health problems John Blackman, Molly Meldrum and Russell Gilbert have experienced in recent years. Ernie Carroll turned 90 this year so I’m fairly sure we won’t be seeing Ossie Ostrich on your screens again, at least not with Ernie’s hand up his backside.

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s probably for the best that Hey Hey It’s Saturday remains confined to Australian TV history.

2 Likes

Yes agree.

But I’m all for a new live entertainment show on Saturdays.

2 Likes

While it’d be great to see a live entertainment show on Saturday nights, I’m not sure if there’s a large enough audience out there for one these days.

1 Like

Rove apparently returning for a run very soon on Ten and WIN.

1 Like

Yep, with the show Saturday Night which was tested during Ten’s pilot week.

1 Like

They can’t get someone new to work the ostrich?

Ossie, the duck and Blackman and his characters were the funniest elements of the show. Daryl just steered the ship and became less funny as the years went on, particularly when he took over as EP. You’d need more than someone capable of just working “the ostrich” which is why Carroll wasn’t replaced when he retired in 1994. I was surprised when he came back for the reunion shows in 2009.

4 Likes

Daryl was under more pressure when he became EP.

When Ernie left, there was no-one for Daryl to bounce jokes off. The double act was gone.

Who were the Guests on those Two Shows???

There should be a one-off reunion show in 2021 to celebrate the 50th anniversary with all the cast returning with a 3 hour run for one night only.

During 2021, there could be a “Best of” segments in the lead up to the 50th anniversary reunion show.

6 Likes
2 Likes

A 50th anniversary reunion show on 9 October 2021 with a best of Hey Hey to air in primetime prior to the show.

No doubt there would be fond memories of this beloved TV show in 2 years time.

4 Likes

This is a Saturday. Nine would likely want to air it on a night where ratings are higher, i.e. Monday or Tuesday

2 Likes