Hey Hey It's Saturday

So what’s the relationship between that ad and the guy’s nickname, outside the same name which I presume is coincidental?

The soundbite “this… is Lucky Phil”, taken from the drink driving ad, was played on HHIS as a nickname for Phil.

Might have to see if there’s video online, I’m not getting it, in terms of the intention and context on HHIS.

scroll up a couple of posts

No, it’s use on HHIS.

whenever there was a mention of Phil (as a crew member) on the show, the soundbite would be played.

2 Likes

I know, that was said a few posts earlier, I meant the context on HHIS, I’m trying to figure out Frankie’s POV.

Edit: Probably because he is actually dead now, yes now I understand both sides of the argument.

Although the ad was produced for the Roads and Traffic Authority of Victoria, I do recall seeing it as a child in NSW. I’m almost certain the ad wasn’t used in a NSW RTA drink driving campaign. Hey Hey was known to send up ads but I’m not sure if the “Lucky Phil” ad was one of them. I have a feeling it may have been with Phil Lambert playing the role of the driver and that’s where I recall it from but can’t find evidence of it.

The Drink Driving ad below was famously sent up and ran on Hey Hey when it was still a children’s show on Saturday morning.

4 Likes

Being from 1982, would that send-up not have been on The Daryl Somers Show?

1 Like

Don’t think so.

I remember the parody but don’t recall specifically which show I saw it on. It was most probably HHIS as I’d have been in bed by the time The Daryl Somers Show came on and I would never have watched that. But having said that, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was played on both shows.

3 Likes

I just thought it a tad crass that the famous soundbite had been changed to the past tense as quoted above so soon after the man’s death.

1 Like

Missed that, I actually read it as “is”, maybe reading too fast, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Herald Sun are speculating that Seven may be the home for a Hey Hey 50th anniversary celebration show which Daryl Sommers is working on putting together.

Apparently, Sommers made a call out on Facebook earlier this week asking for people to suggest bits they want to see again and segment ideas for an anniversary show.

3 Likes

lets hope not

5 Likes

Agreed. Especially after all the controversies about how Kamahl was treated by Hey Hey back in the day which made news earlier this year, it’s probably for the best if this show remains left in the past.

Sure, there was that revival attempt over a decade ago but for the most part Australia has since moved on from wanting live variety programs on their screens. The most recent episodes of Hey Hey only received about 700k metro viewers IIRC, nowadays it’d probably be lucky to receive half that!

It also has to be stressed that HHIS crafted its legacy in Australian television (good, bad, whatever - even with the stuff in 2009/10) at a studio which no longer exists. It’d be for the best if that wasn’t completely ruined by a special which undoubtedly would be produced somewhere which isn’t Studio 9.

2 Likes

I thought Daryl wanted to put the anniversary shows on the website?

That would be the fallback plan if no network wants to back it. The Reunion specials in 2009 were huge for Nine, rating over 2 million from memory. Nine might have been scared off by the PC movement in relation to the Michael Jackson blackface and Kamahl racism scandals.

1 Like

Is Daryl hosting Dancing with the Stars again?

Good lord. Time to put this show to bed permanently.

3 Likes