Hey Hey It’s Saturday specials

Nine demonstrated what they think of their heritage when they vacated Willoughby without a proper sendoff.

6 Likes

Willoughby? Hey Hey was always filmed at Bendigo St, Richmond.

It was nice seeing John Blackman and Wilbur Wilde appear together. Blackman had a battle with skin cancer around his chin, and very briefly mentioned it.

3 Likes

this is awesome! They should bring it back full time

1 Like

The cast are way too old.

Nostalgic but I wouldn’t say awesome.

No, they should not.

1 Like

I think a hey hey like show is something that is needed on tv but Daryl would have to hand off to a younger host and it would need some modernising but without losing the charm.

1 Like

We need the genre, but not necessarily Hey Hey and certainly not with Daryl.

4 Likes

That’s why I said hey hey like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did 10 not try this with Chris and Julia’s Sunday Night Takeaway, only to flop? (From memory I quite liked the show)

2 Likes

I loved it. A fantastic celebration and tribute to 30 years of HHIS.

3 Likes

Yes but in my view it wasn’t funny at all compared to hey hey.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d love another show like this but I doubt it will happen - dare I say because of cancel culture type stuff. It would be a gold mine for people to watch to find something to be offended with while shows like Fat Pizza for example barely rate a mention because they’re more of a cult show.

Wasn’t expecting to watch the show but watched most of it tonight, was good to see what many of the people are up to now but also quite sad seeing how some of them are and knowing what’s happened also. E.g. Seeing John Blackman with his cancer issues and hearing Molly Meldrum struggling to speak a bit. Others who weren’t there were also Red and Russell who have had tough times too.

A good show, not that great for laughs for me because I remember it all from the first time round for most of them but I’m glad that it did get to air just as a what are they up to stage.

4 Likes

Surely a modern day Hey Hey would suffer the same fate because much of its humour would be deemed inappropriate / politically incorrect?

1 Like

Well, no. Key words “modern day”.

My parents always speak very highly of the show and have fond memories so it was good to see what all of the hype was about. I think Australia has moved on from live variety and sketch comedy. It does still work overseas like with SNL on NBC. At least we still have HYBPA, The Cheap Seats and Mad as Hell that while may not be live, are still very topical and relevant. I’m sure in 30 years time I will be talking fondly about a simple quiz show with comedians.

4 Likes

I hate to think how politically correct humour will be in 30 years.

4 Likes

You don’t have to be offensive to be funny.

The problem for some of the dinosaurs from the past is that they don’t often recognise what might be offensive.

2 Likes

Yes it made feel old. You forget how many years have gone by. If they were to revive it, needs young people injected in. I loved the show as child and young adult. The music was great. It replaced countdown to some extent. It was sad to hear of the health issues and people had already passed away like Jon English amongst overs, who passed away too young.

Being honest, it sort of felt like celebrating something that finished a long time of ago. Like it was stretching something. It just felt like celebrating the 50th anniversary which ended a long time ago and almost has been off air the same timeframe than the entire time span of the show (ie regular weekly show). To me an anniversary should be only aired when the show was going for most of the 50 years (on a regular basis). Anyway I still enjoyed it!

2 Likes

Don’t think that is the case at all and I’m sure If it was good people would watch which the last attempt by 10 definitely was not.