Hey Hey It’s Saturday specials

I agree but there’s plenty of shows that are out there that are offensive that don’t rate a mention for things. How commonplace were LGBT jokes even only 10-15 years ago? They were quite common, there’s still regularly jokes to offend Christians and those who are religious that still happen.

Then there’s shows like Fat Pizza, Inbetweeners, South Park, Family Guy etc… which are ignored for being offensive.

1 Like

The problem for some of the dinosaurs from the past is that they don’t often recognise what might be offensive. For example, one thing that stood out for me watching this show tonight was the way that Daryl kept referring to the women that appeared on the show over the years as “girls”.

They weren’t girls. They were women. He didn’t refer to the men as “boys”. He called them guys or blokes or men.

3 Likes

I enjoyed it. It was a bit of light relief on a Sunday night and while we’re in this seemingly endless lockdown it was just what I needed.

3 Likes

Yeah, definitely agree with that with the way that the push has been constantly from Daryl for this show and some of the comments.

I used to love Kingswood Country and it was a great show, never going to be made again though! The last attempt Bullpitt! was a shadow of itself. Some things just need to be left in the past and in the minds of those lucky enough to enjoy them in their eras.

5 Likes

I like that it ended with a photo of Daryl, Ossie, and Ernie.

2 Likes

With this special, it’s perfectly fine as a retrospective one-off program. If Daryl then decides that his ego is too big for his boots (as always) and demands a full reboot with everyone back then Seven needs to cut him loose.

Of course the chances of the above scenario happening is probably minimal but knowing Daryl and his shenanigans there’s always that lingering possibility.

9 Likes

OK, I’ll admit that there’s one other thing related to this show which will be interesting to see: The ratings, particularly in the key demographics for advertisers. ​While oldies will probably lap this stuff up, I reckon anyone under the age of 30 or 40 would be repelled by “Hey Hey It’s 50 Years” following the controversies which made news earlier this year.

Yep, I agree.

If we had a particularly strong taste for live variety/comedy, then programs like Tonightly with Tom Ballard, Sunday Night Takeaway and Saturday Night Rove very well might still be on the air in some form or another.

Indeed, even the type of humour that we enjoyed some 10-15 years ago (eg, Chris Lilley) isn’t necessarily what makes us laugh nowadays.

And I’m sure there’s stuff which is deemed acceptable now that may not be in the future. Whether we like it or not, social attitudes have changed (and will change more in the future) as society overall has/will.

No wonder most of those shows don’t get much attention, they’re largely tucked away on lower tier multichannels like 7mate and 10 Shake.

The only show out of those you have listed that was any good was tonightly and that was axed by the abc for being to controversial for the public broadcaster. Saturday Rove pilot was great but then ruined when they went to a series.

I don’t see a revival being successful. Even in its “hey day” (jk) the show was never really appointment viewing. Even then it was something to dip in and out of either prior to going out on a Saturday night or hiring a video from the local video store. I feel it would suffer even more so now with the advent of streaming services. Given the expense of local variety even when not live, it would be too expensive a format.

If it was revived in some way, with 7:30pm Sunday to Wednesday pretty much ruled out for most of the year with stripped formats and sport on Thursday to Saturday, it’s hard to see a favourable timeslot at least on Seven.

8 Likes

It was a very nice trip down the nostalgia highway. Enjoyed it.

5 Likes

Was that John Blackman on the intro? If so, brilliant to have him doing voice work again.

5 Likes

I think there’s a market for this type of program/variety entertainment television, even if it’s to air during the week at 8:30pm/9pm after the reality shows, to retain viewers into the night.

Maybe not Hey Hey type of program, but some sort of live entertainment show would be good.

I have to say the new website although redone doesn’t work very well on mobile. As well as some of the clips I have seen , The audio sync is shocking, I wouldn’t be paying for that…

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the only so-called variety shows these days here in Australia are the breakfast and morning type shows. With Rove Live being the last true variety show, that ended in 2009, nothing has been successful since then. Only a few have tried, but have failed (Chris and Julia’s Sunday Show; Saturday Night Rove; any others?)

Once-off specials may be the only exception for overseas and local stars to promote their latest movie, tv show or music album (like on a music-reality Finale, The Project “Special”, etc). Shows like Have You Been Paying Attention may be one of only a few platforms where stars can still flog their product in primetime. (Come on Working Dog, bring back The Panel. lol)

2 Likes

It’s a fairly simple thing - punch up not down.

If your act is belittling or mocking people who are powerless, marginalised or disadvantaged - you might get cheap laughs but laughing at people is never going to age well.

You can watch older comedy and there’s stuff out of place owing to different time periods and the shifting of where society is - a joke that’s fairly socially progressive at the time can end up sounding bad once society as a whole progresses, but people are smart enough to contextualise that, it’s your motivations that matter.

If you’re the show that embraces blackface in the 21st century and blames ‘cancel culture’ there’s no context that saves you.

5 Likes

Along with the aforementioned breakfast and mid-morning shows, The Project is another program currently broadcast on Australian TV that stars frequently use to plug their new music/movie/TV show broadcast by the same network/book/whatever?

Realistically, the chances of Working Dog bringing back The Panel are probably about the same as them reviving the cult classics that were Frontline and The Late Show: Very slim to none.

4 Likes

Saturday Night Rove flopped in 2019 starring Rove

I might revive Hey Hey on channel 31 and rename it. I’ll get it back on air!

4 Likes

“Hi Hi it’s Friday” has a ring to it, you should claim that. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Front Bar has been reasonably successful.

1 Like