an early critique from molk
Well I’ve checked out the website and it seems even the clips that were once on the YouTube channel are also locked behind a paywall.
Daryl grifting until the bitter end.
More inaccuracy from Wikipedia.
Daryl and Ossie wanted to break into night time variety. They produced a Wednesday night comedy special called The Daryl and Ossie Show for GTV9 in May 1978. Although TV critics described it as “imbecilic and gauche”, the 0-10 Network was sufficiently impressed to offer Daryl and Ernie big money to switch channels in July 1978. When the 0-10 Daryl and Ossie 7pm show didn’t work out the intention was to re-tool it and produce a one hour weekly edition to air at 6.30pm on Sundays in 1979. 0-10 passed on it and Daryl entertained on the club circuit while trying to strike a deal with another network to get back on TV.
Eventually Daryl and Ossie would come back to Nine and Hey Hey returned.
I’m very curious about this now, it doesn’t appear listed in any of the magazines I have from around that time. Did it actually go to air or was it so bad it didn’t even get that far?
It went to air on May 10, 1978 in Melbourne and May 21 in Sydney.

Sydney Morning Herald, March 13, 1978.

Sydney Morning Herald, May 22, 1978.
I’ve learned something new. I wasn’t aware of this show at all. It didn’t get a mention in TV Times, which had the US series Cannon listed for 7.30 on Wednesdays on GTV9.
I think a clip of this special appeared in a montage in the final episode back in '99.
I wasn’t sure if I was going to watch this or not. 30 mins in and I’m laughing out loud.
Nobody else watching? Lol
I thought it was interesting in the Plucka segment, they didn’t play the theme song? Would that be some sort of channel 9 copyright?
Oh good. Someone else is watching haha
Sorry but I’d rather stick needles in my eyes than watch this shit.
Interview with Marty Fields was good, talking about the Great Aussie Joke with his dad Maurie Field, and about the Reunion Special.
Jane Kennedy’s first television gig was on Hey Hey. Nice interview with her too. Other mentions of “first time television gigs” on Hey Hey included Vanessa Amarossi, Cate Blanchet, Dave Hughes and The Living End guitarist.
Must be Daryl and Seven.
And that it was on Nine. It’s not part of 7s heritage.
Nah…don’t think I’d be watching this special even if it was airing on Nine out of principle.
The only thing about Hey Hey It’s 50 Years that even remotely interests me is the possibility of a review (well OK, hopefully a grilling) from Australia’s most famous TV viewers. I hope they’re watching the show with phones in hand, going through all those stories/segments from the darker side of HHIS’ history that have been omitted from tonight’s program.
Really enjoying this. Lots of great memories watching with my grandparents at their home.
I think it’s a badly constructed special. They’ve hardly spent any time showing highlights from the show.
It started off by showing some of those “on location” specials at Movie World which weren’t really the biggest part of the show. Then most of it has been about musical guests who appeared on the show over the years and music montages.
Hardly any basic clips from the show itself and what they do have, is very poor quality.
Loved seeing Jacki Mac. Raymond J Bartholomew was great.
