HD Broadcasting

I thought that the studio camera was about the only thing in HD on Media Watch. The graphics looked SD.

Studio camera yes, their on-screen graphics at the end of the programme yes, content from TV channels…I’m not so sure; it will have varied, especially given the US-centric nature of last night’s ‘fake news’ theme.

I’d say the only HD components were the studio camera, watermark and classification/caption notice.

These were the graphics and opener:

3 Likes

The graphics were HD

Programs on ABC iView will be in HD soon.

3 Likes

What does “upscaled HD” mean? Higher resolution SD?

1 Like

Upscaled HD = SD content upconverted to HD resolution.

1 Like

lol abc is a joke.

3 Likes

What the hell is the point of upscaling from SD on iView? If they’re actually doing that it’ll just waste bandwidth.
They need to make sure all the streams are available at least in 576i, then full HD for ABC1 HD. Anything else is a pathetic joke.

3 Likes

I think the word “upscaled” has been misused in the article. He probably just meant that the current less-than-SD quality will be upgraded to some form of HD.

3 Likes

Yes, I think upscaling over the Internet is a waste of bandwidth…

TVs have to scale content to fit the screen resolution anyway, so if you have a Full HD TV, everything is “upscaled” to fit that resolution, even those horrible 240p YouTube videos.

Of course, you could argue that ABC would have a better quality upscaler than what your TV has, but then I would argue you can never put back in something that was never there in the first place anyway. It’s all guesswork.

1 Like

“The Evo Upscale”: upscaling SD source to an HD file and calling it a day.

1 Like

So why bother up scaling it to HD IF THEY are not going to bother giving it full HD? Better yet fix the stream to at least a good bit rate. It’s very blocky at times. (especially when there’s fast moving scenes).

Our Aunty has failed us again…

The EPG on 7 Sydney has 7HD now mirroring 7mate, not the main channel, with the Women’s AFL to be in HD tonight.

Fortunately, the EPG is wrong!
On screen, 7HD is still the main channel, and the Women’s AFL is SD only.

Phew, but I suspect it won’t stay that way for much longer with the AFL season looming.
Hope I’m wrong.

4 Likes

Is Perth doing the same as Sydney?

Nope, Perth still using the main channel’s EPG.

Probably a glitch, because “7HD Sydney” is running EPG data for main channel programing again.

1 Like

AFL shouldn’t really complain, just wish they get over the HD thing, OK Grand Final needs to be in HD but that’s on the main channel anyway. If you really want HD then Foxtel is the way to go. Always the main channel should be given HD preference rather than a secondary channel.

6 Likes

In case anyone was wondering, I have been told that Southern Cross are set to make an announcement in regards to their main channel HD offering very soon.

Seeing as the 2017 AFL season is almost upon us, here’s hoping it’s up and running in time for the new season Thursday week.

7 Likes

Hopefully they will roll out HD in all their remaining areas. Probably too much to hope that SA and Broken Hill will get 7HD, 9HD and TENHD.