HD Broadcasting

The main channel has been broadcasting in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth since December 16.

2 Likes

lol were has this guy beenā€¦

And this is scheduled to continue until at least end of January. Gut feel says 7 will revert back to SD only in these markets from Feb, but I hope Iā€™m wrong.

1 Like

7HD doesnā€™t exist in regional Qld. We like to watch our 7 shows in crystal clear Standard Definition.

1 Like

Yeah we are the same in Prime Land. Too tough for HD or 7Flix. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes it has. That was my fault.

Should be back now

1 Like

Pretty sure ten HD finally showing family feud in native HD. Think it has been all week since new episodes have returned. Anyone else noticed a change?

Looks like native HD to my eyes.

Although I canā€™t believe itā€™s taken this long for Ten to air Family Feud in HD. Hot Seat and The Chase Australia have been in HD for agesā€¦

1 Like

The other day I noticed that the promo was in HD, so I think youā€™re probably right that Family Feud itself is HD.

they already do that in Melbourne, well the last hour of it anyway, during the AFL season.

Are the American shows in HD yet on Ten?

Dr. Phil is in native HD and I think Judge Judy is too.

Just a random thought, but for the areas with only the monopoly broadcaster, what would it take to have all main channels in HD?

WIN for example broadcast to the Riverland and Mount Gambier in South Australia.
They are the only commercial broadcaster in these regions.

Channel 50 is GEM in HD
Channel 66 is 7MATE in HD
They are both in MPEG2 format
Prior to the affiliation swap, GEM was downgraded to SD for WINHD to take its place
GEM was again upgraded to HD after the affilation swap, where ONE was now downgraded to SD for WINHD

Only the main channels (NINE, SEVEN, WIN and WINHD) have a Riverland feed and a Mount Gambier feed. All the other channels (GEM, GO!, 7TWO, 7MATE, ONE, ELEVEN) are one statewide SA feed even though their channel names say otherwise (eg, GEM Loxton)

Surely it wouldnā€™t cost WIN anymore to move GEM and 7MATE down to SD and move have NINE on Channel 5 and SEVEN on Channel 6 in MPEG2 HD. Unless there is something technical I am missing? From a viewers perspective the only problem I can see are people using ten year old set top boxes and TVā€™s that are SD only. The channels in theory would be kept in MPEG2 versus MPEG4.

Griffith/MIA is the same thing, canā€™t see why WIN havenā€™t got NINE and SEVEN in HD since the Griffith feeds are Griffith only.

Is Southern Cross GTS/BKN one feed for all its channels or are the main ones localised? Also the same thing there

2 Likes

The main thing it would take is for virtually 100% of households to have MPEG 4 compatible equipment.

I saw a bit of WIN News in HD in Canberra tonight

One word ā€¦ :scream:

It looked HORRIBLE!!!

It actually looks better in SDā€¦ thatā€™s saying somethingā€¦

Too many artefactsā€¦ at least SD hides that a bit more.

3 Likes

Totally agree and would like to see that happen on Nine in WA/Mildura also. It would be an effortless swap.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s 3 words (hehe), but yes, it is horrible. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Correct - but as I posted, GEM and 7MATE are currently HD in MPEG2 format, I canā€™t see (from the outside) why GEM and 7MATE canā€™t be reduced to SD quality (staying on Channels 50 and 66) and move NINE and SEVEN up to HD in MPEG2 format, staying on Channels 5 and 6

Same goes for Southern Cross GTS/BKN

Always forget about WA being a JV, but I agree as well. Again, canā€™t see why it cannot be done. Does Nine on the WA JV have one feed for the entire coverage area or multiple?

1 Like

One statewide feed of each channel. Prime is the only one that does multiple feeds.