HD Broadcasting

Geelong is part of the Melbourne TV Licence area so I’d expect so.

1 Like

(Obviously I don’t know your parents so I’m generalising here:) A thing to remember is that vision degrades after we get past 40 years old.
I understand that sometimes the degradation is quite dramatic but other times it’s slow, so it is perfectly possible that older people’s vision/focus has reduced enough so they have difficulty seeing a difference between SD and HD at a normal viewing distance, or perhaps at all (until you get to ridiculously huge TVs and are close enough to the screen).
Also given how much the brain is involved in what we “see” we may not even be aware that/how much our vision has degraded.
(We don’t actually instantly see everything that intuitively we’d think we do; the brain is heavily involved in interpreting the visual data from our eyes, creating our ‘clear’ visual perception of the world and continuously maintaining/updating it.)

My parents seem to be aware of and use the HD channels. They watch all their TV through Foxtel and as soon as I told them that 9 would be in HD on 209 they took that on board. They even worked out Ten for themselves when they noticed the promos for Ten HD; the only question at the time was what channel was ONE to be on. It helps that they seem to refer to all the channels by number e.g. 601 instead of Sky News or 501 etc. The numbering system for HD on Foxtel is possibly a bit easier than with an antenna with 202/7/9/10 (SBS is 228).

As far as Foxtel swapping 110 for 210 etc like they do for their own channels, that would be ideal but has some problems. The main obstacle is the reliability of the FTA HD channel always being a simulcast of the SD one. We know that Nine and Ten are identical but SBS has deviated from this and shown SBS2 on the HD channel, and of course the situation with Seven would be a complete mess if the change was made in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth. Also, it would also be a problem for Gold Coast where 7HD is a simulcast of the Brisbane feed rather than the Gold Coast station.

They also can tell the difference between SD and HD.

2 Likes

So for how long will 7 keep up with this HD strategy… as long as they have rights to the AFL? Is there no other way they could do it so the main channel is in HD and Perth gets the AFL in HD?

MPEG4 both 7HD and 7bogan? But given how they changed 7flix from MPEG4 to MPEG2, it seems unlikely to happen soon.

The biggest issue for Perth is getting the local games in HD. Which we hardly did under the current arrangement. We got all the other EASTERN states gives in H.D.

If this is what Seven and AFL think is what passes as a great deal for free to air viewers - they can well go jump.

I believe this has been discussed to death. The solution would be to have breakaway programming on 7HD around the AFL match and rejoin the network after the game. Simples.

6 Likes

[quote=“Jeffmister, post:1036, topic:279”]
In addition, people who watch movies or sports regularly will prefer watching channels in HD because they showcase the advantages of HD.[/quote]

A good example of that is snooker on Fox Sports HD (not that anyone watches it). Not only does it look spectacular in HD, you can actually see the balls clearly. The difference from SD is stark.

If it is so simple why doesn’t 7 do that then?

Because it’s confusing to viewers.

A better solution under their current strategy would be put all AFL games in Perth on 7mate to show them in HD. Games that are currently shown on the main channel (local games and select other games) can still be shown on the main channel also.

The best solution would be show all games on the main channel, allowing the HD channel to be the main channel, then on Friday and Saturday nights (and whenever else there is a game that conflicts with the news etc), the news and other programming from the main channel can be on 7mate.

1 Like

That’s exactly how they used to do it.

1 Like

Look, let’s be honest, I’m just waiting for WIN to turn GOLD HD! :joy:

3 Likes

Don’t give them ideas! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
They wouldn’t want to risk requiring MPEG4 for their precious advertising channel.

Look, I was hoping for Aspire to be in UHD by June :wink:

5 Likes

I would love to see Extra in HD. Shark steammops would never look so good! :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I would like to see ABC2 SBS Viceland and Eleven in HD.

2 Likes

Definitely, especially Viceland, it will be awesome to see their content in HD.

“will be”…aren’t you the optimistic one?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Can I have Food Network in HD pls.

1 Like

Is it just me, or has the 7HD thread disappeared from MS altogether?