HD Broadcasting

Nine and Seven would probably need to be available in SD as well, given some people are probably still using SD only equipment.

You could argue that high rating content like AFL and NRL are exclusive on the current MPEG-2 HD multichannels. It seems like the “SD-only household” argument is getting less relevant these days. The markets are small, too.

The last “digital ready” survey published prior to the analogue switch off had HD penetration in Perth at about 98-99% IIRC ie access to at least one HD source in the household.

1 Like

Over the few weeks, I’ve been to a few places like homes, cafes etc, and have been talking to People and I bring up HD channels, and it seems not many people know about them or don’t really care.
So is having a HD varient necessary?

They just haven’t seen the light. It took me a few months to convince my ex that HD was superior. Then one day she was watching Gem and commented at how much better it looked. Now everything SD is noticably inferior. Give it time I reckon.

4 Likes

As I said earlier, yes SD only viewers are a problem but just how many are there. It’s not as if they would be putting NINE and SEVEN in MPEG4 leaving viewers with GEM, GO!, 7TWO and 7MATE but not have access to their main channels

WINs mux for example is pretty full and they wouldn’t run an SD and HD version of the other networks main channels[quote=“WAtvVideos, post:1089, topic:279”]
The markets are small, too
[/quote]

Correct. WIN Riverland and Mount Gambier have a combined potential viewer audience of <130,000. Same for Griffith and Mildura combined

If WIN is your broadcaster then yes! PQ hasn’t gotten any better since the affiliation swap, just look at WIN SD. Except its the same for these other channels in SD. Difference is viewers in these regions would get a HD version of the main channels only and no SD simulcast

2 Likes

I must admit to being one of those who doesn’t see a lot of difference between HD and SD. However, last night when flicking between the two tennis matches on 70 band 72 the HD version was far superior.

It could just be me, but Nine SD via WIN looks worse than 9Go!, WIN SD, One and Eleven where I am.

1 Like

I seriously do not understand this – I have vision issues and I can hardly read any graphics on standard definition because of the blurry image. HD is far, far, far superior

3 Likes

With the shitty compression it sometimes is a bit hard to tell them apart depending on the content.

1 Like

Nine HD and seven HD definetly can see the picture in much better quality . Ten HD is a by and miss I have to admit. I have noticed that family fued is in HD

My vision isn’t that great but I do notice myself.

1 Like

Monocular vision here, maybe that’s the problem, I’ve tired switching between SD and HD of the same thing and had trouble seeing much difference. Last night, same sport, same tournament but different pictures made it noticeable. Mtor racing I also find better in HD, especially the tiny graphics they use.

1 Like

I find the differences between SD and HD very easy to see.

The text at the bottom of the screen is unreadable on SD, whereas it’s clear and easy to see on the HD channels.

6 Likes

I think some confusion arises when upconverted shows are seen. Anyone watching local Nine News in Queensland across several hours each day would probably be wondering about the benefits of HD given the quality is comparable to a VHS tape.

4 Likes

But fortunately in the case of QLD, it’s one of the few occasions that this would arise.

Other posts in the Nine News threads have indicated Nine News Brisbane will go HD soon anyhow,

1 Like

As time goes by I’m sure there will be fewer up conversions on all channels. Hopefully they also ditch the 4:3 aspect movies from the library.

1 Like

Which is why the slow return of ABC HD was so bad. Here was an opportunity to show the biggest group of doubters (older demos) that HD is superior and all it showed for weeks was upconverted content. At least it’s all in the past and ABC HD looks magnificent now.

2 Likes

44 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven HD

I hope they don’t. The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca and other classic movies were filmed in 4:3 as they were made before widescreen was around, but they are available in high definition.

1 Like

I wonder if they will ever crop those 4:3 movies to make them widescreen?

Hopefully not, they did this with Seinfeld and I didn’t like it as I knew I wasn’t seeing the full picture.

1 Like