HD Broadcasting

Sorry Kevin, the only negative thing from me, is about the exclusive part last year and it turned out to be 7Flix rather than 7HD

If the AFL must be contractually in HD in the states where it’s deemed not important enough to air on 7 why can’t they just “breakaway” for the live weekend slots, therefore meaning the bulk of their own flagship programming which airs Sunday night to Wednesday night remains unaffected.

4 Likes

Or just put the AFL on the main channels in all states

3 Likes

And watch the ratings nosedive up north.

1 Like

I don’t see how. Who watches Better Homes and Gardens still anyway? And Saturday night programming on 7 is nothing to write home about

1 Like

If having the AFL on the main channel on prime time on Fri/Sat is the price to pay to have ALL of 7’s main channel programming on 7HD all year around, then I’d be prepared to cop that… As like you say there’s nothing appealing to me about 7’s Fri/Sat night schedule otherwise. Perth would be a problem still because of news.

But I REALLY hope 7 are getting something sorted out for the northern and western states before end of Jan when 7 are rumoured to be switching the main channel back to SD only up here.

3 Likes

The only problem with Seven’s logic the W.A footy team games Dockers and Eagles games are never in H.D

But it doesn’t matter, I would prefer 7mateHD then to 7 HD.

1 Like

I guess the reality is, there is no main channel anymore. Seven could shove Better Homes or whatever show on a multichannel and that audience will tune in providing they know where to find it. It’s not like back when there was an analogue simulcast and they didn’t want to upset grandma on a Saturday night.

So why not have the AFL on Seven then?

4 Likes

Since 7two is basically a lifestyle channel now 80% of the time, maybe should just move Better Homes and Gardens to that channel.

5 Likes

Seven is the channel that gets the heaviest promotion… eg it gets far more space in newspaper TV guides than what 7TWO or 7Mate does.

And Seven are never going to put a show on TWO or Mate that they think will get more viewers than what is on 7 at the same time.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. Multi-channels still don’t reach people like the main channels do.

3 Likes

The last time that regular Saturday night AFL was shown on the main channel in Brisbane was on Ten. That was at a time with fewer multichannels so that main channels tended to get a higher share than now. Even so, Ten often rated below 10% in Brisbane on those nights. Also, I don’t think that Seven would be too encouraged by last year’s games with Sydney teams that were shown on the main channel. Also worth considering the penetration of Foxtel in Sydney where the AFL can be seen in HD.

2 Likes

Is anyone else finding that there’s no “Now” and “Next” program info on 7HD (when you press the info button), yet the info is there on the EPG?

On my Samsung tv it shows “hardcore pawn” on 7 hd since the changed happen Friday morning

I have found that the NOW/Next doesn’t seem to be working on 7HD - the EPG can be displayed though.

Also of note, no Dolby 5.1 from 7HD.

1 Like

Panasonic???

Sometimes that happens with SBS Food.

Do any other channels have a similar situation to Seven with AFL and HD ? Or have they before and how have they dealt with it ?

So Seven will never be in HD all year until they lose rights to AFL? HD for regional Qld after 2020?

It’s a stupid deal certainly from 7’s point of view but arguably bad press too for AFL in states where they’re already not that popular.

The only solution I can see is at least in the states affected for 7mate SD MPEG2 to be replaced by 7mate HD MPEG4, alongside 7HD. The space would just about be there for it (although it’s tight), but it does mean a small number of viewers would lose 7mate completely unless they upgraded - but the benefits far outweigh the risks IMO, and surely the Aussie networks have got to begin transitioning more channels to HD sooner rather than later. Getting the main channels back in HD was surely the start of a process, not the end.

2 Likes

Switch 7Mate from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 would halve the ratings, so it’s not going to happen. You just have to look at the improvement in numbers that 7Flix got when it did the reverse.

1 Like

Give the networks more spectrum. How long have they been limited to the same 22Mb/s? 4k is the real deal these days how exactly are they going to be able to broadcast in 4k?

2 Likes