GWN - On-Air Presentation (1997-1999)

Idents:

Movie Opener:

Classification Warning:

PRG:

Copyright Warning:

Promo Endtags:

8 Likes

That’s when GWN’s presentation was at its best. Done locally out of Bunbury.

6 Likes

These promo enders were great. I’m pretty sure these were introduced when GWN went with full Seven affiliation, but before Prime centralised operations to Canberra. What an insult; to go from these stylish Seven inspired enders to the those old fashioned blue/yellow ones from Prime!

mp4%20-_00002 mp4%20-_00003

Thanks for the caps @Zampakid! I’ve never seen the copyright notice from this package before!

3 Likes

Some more caps:
18/3/1999

9/9/1999
Breakbumper:

Promo Endtags:

7 Likes

Super rare stuff here. Never seen caps of these promos before. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

These were capped days before WIN WA launched! Burning through some Nine movies before losing them for good.

So, GWN must have switched to Seven News/TT, and using Seven’s promo style, before they lost Nine and Ten affiliation. I thought they made the switch closer to WIN’s launch.

6 Likes

The 80’s and 90’s was the absolute zenith for the Golden West Network. Presentation was slick, news was comprehensive and commitment to localism was second to none.

3 Likes

I agree, but this era was special. It was the first time the presentation (other than idents) resembled a metro network. Seeing GWN gearing up for WIN’s arrival was exciting to watch. I remember print ads running for weeks and I reckon by the time these caps were recorded to VHS, WIN had already fired up their pre-launch loop in a lot of areas.

3 Likes

Some various clips

Copyright warning and Closedown:

Promo Montage 18/3/1999:

Promo Montage 9/9/1999:

2 Likes

That remote television services announcement! :heart_eyes: What a great logo (and animation) that was!

1 Like

Love the original This Is Where We Live theme! 60 second version there.

Some rare finds from GWN in the 90s

I wonder how they were supposed to know if you had recorded anything in order to then prosecute you?

Some of those scenes in the 60 second ID look like they’ve been lifted off Prime’s version.

GWN Bunbury - Saturday 13/6/1998
Ident:

MA Classification:

PRG:

Promo Endtags:

4 Likes

Going by the AFL matches listed in Promo Endtag #2 (which I did an online search for), I’d probably say this recording is most likely to be from Saturday June 13, 1998.

2 Likes

The big font at the top of the endtags looks really outdated for the late 90s. Looks more like something from 5 years earlier.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking when I was a kid watching this. Embarrassingly old fashioned.

5 Likes

GWN Bunbury - Saturday 9/1/1999

Albany Ident:

M Classification:

PRGs:

Promo Endtags:

8 Likes

Quite interesting to see that GWN was still running a fairly Nine-heavy schedule just over two months before the launch of WIN WA!

Then again, most of those Nine shows probably would’ve been stuff from 1998 that was held off for the Summer break…

6 Likes