Great songs heard on radio

Yeah, I think I might have heard them in a Home Brew show on K-Rock once or twice back in the day, but certainly a rarity. They didn’t get airtime on Austereo stations after (not that they had any before) an infamous incident with Jackie O at a music festival in Darwin years ago

But yeah, very emblematic of Triple J of the 90s/early 00s. As a hypothetical, do you think these guys would get much of a run on the same station today?

I haven’t listened to the Jays in a very long time, but I gather they still heavily lean toward Aussie hip hop and electronica? Rock has definitely fallen out of favour with most of the yoof. There’s not much innovation left in rock and roll I suppose; most new rock that I come across is pretty formulaic and derivative to be brutally honest. I’m sure there are some garage bands intent on rehashing skate punk, but they likely get lost in the noise. It’s an interesting question, even if it doesn’t keep me up at night.

yes, as well as hipster folk with vocals sung in a “little girly” voice

2 Likes

Ah yes, Indie Folk. I’ve tried to like it, but it all sounds the same to me. Only the acts that channel the 80s, such as The War On Drugs, are semi-interesting.

1 Like

After midday today on WSFM:

• Level 42: Running in the Family
  • Bananarama: Cruel Summer
  • Lindsey Buckingham: Trouble
2 Likes

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir on Triple M Sydney right now [11:17]

3 Likes

"Blame it on the Rain " Milli Vanilli ,River 94.9 yesterday,I like this song even though there was controversy at the time that they didn’t really sing

1 Like

Major Tom (Völlig Losgelöst)- PETER SCHILLING. 1CMS Canberra of all stations. They seem to have a German language program on at the moment.

Way Back Wednesdays are always a good listen on River 949 but they sure are diverse - Abba’s Waterloo, one minute than Bon Jovi Livin on a Prayer the next.

2 Likes

The Most Beautiful Girl In The World by Prince this morning on Star 104.5.

While not a song I love, it has been a very long time since I’ve heard it and it was refreshing to hear it come on the radio.

I just wonder how often it is they play it as I wouldn’t want to hear it all the time!

It’s a nice song. “Diamonds and Pearls” and especially “Gold” from Prince’s 90s catalogue are better, though, and almost never played.

And “Thieves In The Tenple” or even “Batdance”.

Anything is better than hearing “1999” or “Raspberry Beret” for the zillionth time.

Don’t stress folks, it’s about this time of year he gets trotted out to tell the crowd to “LIFT THOSE CANDLES UP!”

2 Likes

Alisha’s Attic - “I Am, I Feel”

A good late 90s pop song that I haven’t heard for a while.

Heard earlier this evening on Move FM (via 99.5 from Katoomba).

2 Likes

I often remember when I first heard particular songs, and I first heard that Alisha’s Attic tune on the old Kiss 95.3 :smile:.

My Name Is Jack- MANFRED MANN
I Wonder What She’s Doing Tonight- TOMMY BOYCE & BOBBY HART

(Magic 2CH- see, it’s not all bad).

1 Like

Yes, it’s odd how you can associate songs with certain radio stations, be it when you either first heard it, or have a good memory from it.

Rattlesnakes - Lloyd Cole & The Commotions surprising heard on ABC612 today.

Cool World - Mondo Rock on 94.1 this morning.

2 Likes

Loverboy - Billy Ocean

Haven’t heard that on commercial radio for a while …

Playing right now on WSFM.

2 Likes

Runaround- BLUES TRAVELER. 2MMM, would you believe it. About as far from bogan rock as you can get.

Love Action- HUMAN LEAGUE. 2UUS-FM. Another pleasant surprise.

Stinkfist- TOOL (2MMM again). Can’t say I’ve heard the doyens of 90s progressive metal on the Ms before.

I’m Just a Singer (in a Rock n Roll Band) - Moody Blues on 4KQ right now :flushed: :smiley:

2 Likes