That’s a solid playlist! Special mentions to the following nineties tracks:

Always The Last To Know- DEL AMITRI
American Life In The Summertime- FRANCIS DUNNERY
Cornflake Girl- TORI AMOS
Break In The Weather- JENNY MORRIS
Peaches- PRESIDENTS OF THE USA

• the usual 80s gems like Matt Moffitt.
3 Likes

One rhetorical question has to be asked: Why isn’t any of the commercial FM stations in Sydney & surrounding areas (inc Central Coast & Illawarra) are doing the sort of thing that River 94.9 does every Wednesday?
C91.3 would’ve been the perfect station to do that sort of thing, but instead they’re just another CHR-skewed station for most of the time, which its format is already well covered by 4 other commercial FM stations (KIIS, Nova, 2Day, The Edge) that are well received within its licence area.

Then again, probably the reason why River has a ‘variety hits’ format is because Brisbane doesn’t have a Smooth or Pure Gold station on FM, unlike in Sydney.

1 Like

A rhetorical question with a straightforward answer: because it’s Sydney :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Billy Joel, “River of Dreams " 1993
Electric Pandas ,” Big Girls ":+1:1984
1927, “You’ll Never Know”, 1989
River 94.9
Duffy, "Mercy " 2008
Australian Crawl, "Oh No Not You Again " 1981
The Breeze today

2 Likes

Nova 96.9 and the remaining Nova’s have finally started doing Throwback Thursday’s which has been on Nova 106.9 for almost a year now.

The Throwback Thursday playlist on Nova 96.9 was heard across all Nova’s except Nova 106.9 which has their own more adventours playlist.

Picks from the National Throwback Thursday playlist-

Kids - MGMT
I like to move it - Reel 2 Reel
Billie Jean - MJ
Mr Vean - Culture Beat
Insomnia - Faithless
Jump Around - House of Pain
Regulate Warren G
It’s Tricky - Run Dmc

Nova 106.9 Throwback Thursday
Bonkers - Dizzie Rascal
Shooting Star - Bag Raiders
No Diggity - Black Street
Friends In The Field - Art v Science

The Nova 106.9 Throwback Thursday playlist was my favorite of the two. It was great to not hear the same songs repeated every two to three hours.

KIIS in Sydney was playing more old School today to counter.

Heart, "What About Love ,1986,The Breeze this morning.Havent heard that song for ages :+1:

2 Likes

50 Years- UNCANNY X-MEN
A Beat For You- PSUEDO ECHO

2GN.

3 Likes

Bustin’ Loose - Moving Pictures on 104.7 Grafton (and ZZZ FM so no doubt it was across the SRN)

1 Like

River 94.9 today:
(The late great)Prince, “Cream” 1992
Foreigner, "Say You Will " 1987 :+1:

Some from “Wayback Wednesday " on River 94.9:
Presidents of the USA, “Dune Buggy " 1996 I haven’t heard that one since the 90s😊
Men Without Hats,“Safety Dance” 1983
The Badloves, “Lost” 1993 also heard this track on the Breeze,great Aussie band from the early 90s
Billy Joel ,” Its All About Soul” 1993
Big Pig, "Breakaway " 1988👍

3 Likes

Wow, Dune Buggy! Bravo to River for hauling that one out. Ditto for The Badloves; Lost is one of the nicest pop rocksongs around.

When It’s Love- VAN HALEN (WS FM). Worth mentioning because it’s not “Jump” or “Dreams”.

4 Likes

For the egg-man:

Don’t Believe Anymore- EISHAUS. 2GN.

2 Likes

If You Could Read My Mind- GORDON LIGHTFOOT :maple_leaf: (2LT). Much better than the crap 90s disco version.

1 Like

Love And Pride - King

Right now on WSFM

I don’t think I’ve heard that on the radio since 1985!

2 Likes

Thanks mate. Underplayed gem IMO.

Isn’t it funny sometimes how when you see a rare one listed here, you happen to hear it not long after? I say this as Rebel played ‘I am an Island’ the other morning, just after I read it listed here.

Also, Gold FM cranked out Pat Benatar’s ‘Shadows of the Night’ the other day, which is another great yet underplayed track

Nobody Told Me- THE MONITORS. (2GN). I’ve only ever heard this on Rage. Sounds like a vinyl rip too :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

The Good Life- DEAR ENEMY (2GN). I’ve never heard this, period.

Juice Newton,“Queen of Hearts” 1982, on River 94.9 this arvo👍

3 Likes