Great songs heard on radio

Hammerhead - James Reyne

Playing right now on 2ST (via 91.7 FM).

I remember hearing that song on 2EC whilst down in the Sapphire Coast (Merimbula/Eden area) as part of their “Flock of 80s” program on weekday mornings back in October. On that same morning, I also heard “I Hear Motion” by The Models, as well as “Wonderful Life” by Black.

If you ask me, the South Coast has more interesting commercial music radio stations than the North Coast, mainly due to the lack of SCA & BOG/SRN stations. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Yes and no, re North vs South Coast re music.

When 2EC and 2ST do play music, I agree that they do very well, particularly when you consider it seems to be locally programmed.

However, EC/ST blot their copybook with more talkback programming than I would like to hear, particularly on weeknights. That’s where North Coast SCA take the honours, with the “Greatest Years In Music”, which really isn’t a bad program at all… They’ve played a few gems of late, as I discovered last week.

But yes, either of Grant or SCA vs BOG, it’s no contest. 2RE is the only BOG AM station I’ve heard that plays any decent music. All of the regional BOG FM stations are a mixed bag of shit, they can’t be listened to for any real length of time by anyone.

1 Like

That’s a good point, re talkback programming on weeknights (& weekend afternoons during NRL/AFL season) on 2EC/2ST ruining things on the music front. As for its CHR stations, Power FM is better than Star FM IMHO.

Re “Greatest Years In Music”, the closest station in Sydney that airs the program is 2GO on the Central Coast, which can be heard into many parts of the metropolitan area, as well as down to parts of the Illawarra, where Wave & i98 both fight it out in the Hot AC/CHR format, therefore depriving the region of a real adult music station unless one tunes to the Sydney stations. The program is also heard on Mix 106.3 in Canberra, which within its listening area, has a decent amount of ‘classic hits’ AM stations that are receivable such as 2CA, 2GN & 2XL, all of which are part of the Capital Radio Network’s “Forever Classic” group.

As for the regional BOG FM stations being a mixed bag of s**t, I would group Wave FM with them, even though they’re owned by Grant. Seeing that you pick up Wave during good tropo, would you agree with my assessment?

1 Like

I don’t think I would quite put WAVE in the same boat as the BOG… WAVE doesn’t in my experience at least, go from one music extreme to the other quite like BOG does.

And SCA does have NRL/AFL in the winter months too.

I’m well aware of the SCA stations, inc. Triple M, taking NRL/AFL in the winter months. :slight_smile:

With this in mind, it’s one of the disadvantages of going to regional areas (ie. outside of Central Coast, Wollongong, Canberra, Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast) on weekends during the winter months, by which you won’t be able to listen to the adult-formatted regional commercial music stations for any length of time if you wanted music that isn’t heavy on the current Top 40 hits that the CHR stations play. :frowning:

Caught a couple of gems driving back across the border this afternoon

Goanna - Razor’s Edge on 102.9 Hot Tomato (an absolute favourite of mine)
Charlie Daniels Band - Devil Went Down to Georgia on Rebel 99.4

To go slightly OT, the moment 99.4 came up as receivable (just after the Byron Bay turnoff for those curious) it made my listening experience a whole lot better. This trip has made me very thankful for SEQ radio (a topic I will explore at some point in further detail in the appropriate thread later)

1 Like

please remove this overplayed piece of crap from the “Great Songs” thread.

Done. :wink:

when a radio station programs that song, it’s lazy.

There’s so many other quality ACDC songs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s being safe, rather than lazy.

But they have so many other songs that sound so much better! Thunderstruck is an awful song!!

Shoot to Thrill
Hells Bells
Let There Be Rock
For Those About To Rock
Jailbreak
Dirty Deeds

To name but a few…

‘Thunderstruck’ is still a very very good song, but yes, AC/DC have a lot of other great songs also deserving of airplay too.

“Enter Sandman” - Metallica on K rock Geelong

Finally living up to their name for once!

4 Likes

Thanks to tonight’s tropo:

“You Are” Lionel Richie - “Love Song Dedications” on New FM & the Super Radio Network’s FM stations, about a few minutes ago

An unflogged classic of his that is not “All Night Long”, “Hello” or “Dancing On The Ceiling”.

Also within the same hour:

“All My Love” Led Zeppelin
"Rikki Don’t Lose That Number" Steely Dan

Both of the above were heard as part of the Greatest Years In Music’s “Mystery 9 @ 9”, which I normally get just via 2GO, but tonight can also be accessed via KO.

Lovin’ You by Minnie Riperton (live version) got airplay on Mike WIlliams overnight program on 2GB. First time I heard the song since I was a kid some 30 years ago. Having said that I wouldn’t know if this song gets regular rotation on the music/FM stations.

gets played all the time on Smooth TV on Foxtel - every time I look at her I see her daughter (Maya Rudolph) - Minnie died when Maya was just a toddler. So sad.

Song for Guy - on The Breeze.

Whigfield’s “Sexy Eyes” on 102.9 Hot Tomato. It is such a daggy song but I swear the last time I would have heard it would have been the year it was released (1995).

First post from me here for a little while…

What Have You Done For Me Lately? - Janet Jackson

Playing right now on WSFM.