Great songs heard on radio

Oh you’ve spoiled it for me now! Here in country WA, Dave Gleeson doesn’t come on until 9pm WA time, with the “Classic 9 at 9” at 11pm! And outside of Perth, it’s on AM radio! Ridiculous I know!

But seriously, I’m tucked in bed now so wasn’t staying up anyway :grin:

1 Like

6IX seem to have the same format as 2CA- they might even share the same log?

1 Like

Using lava, it seems that they dont share the same log, but the songs played are closely similar to one another.

4 Likes

Nights with Dave Gleeson continues to serve up some classics tonight, such as “Somebody Told Me” by The Killers at 7:45pm.

5 Likes

Some more good songs coming from Nights with Dave Gleeson (topic is 9 Greatest Albums):

• “Jailbreak” by AC/DC

• “Overkill” by Men At Work

• “US Forces” by Midnight Oil

• “Life In The Fast Lane” by The Eagles

5 Likes

9 Greatest Albums? They did a very similar Classic 9 at 9 a few months ago and had Michael Jackson at Number 1! As below

Yep, just 9 Greatest Albums of all time, they do sometimes repeat the 9 at 9 topics, (IIRC they did 1979 twice with different No. 1’s).
Currently playing the live version of Surrender by Cheap Trick

1 Like

Models - Local and/or General on the SEQ Rebels this morning.

Not a song you hear often on commercial radio at all, and even more surprising to hear it in the breakfast show during my morning commute. But I guess that’s the Rebel.

5 Likes

Oh, and another I should have added that I know a few here will love

a-ha - The Living Daylights

With thanks to 94.1 FM Gold Coast this morning

5 Likes

Love A-ha…. Take On Me gets flogged mercilessly but it’s still a good song, even better as a 12 incher.

4 Likes

You’re right - love it!

3 Likes

A good track somewhat forgotten to radio on the 99.7 BridgeFM Breakfast Show:

• “Heartbeat City” by The Cars

They have played it a few times, still a great song that I will turn up if I hear it.

3 Likes

Some notable plays:

Heard on KIIS973:

• Paula Abdul - Opposites Attract (1988)

• The Trammps - Disco Inferno (1976)

Heard on 104.5 Triple M Brisbane:

• The Cars - Tonight She Comes (1985)

• Down To The Waterline - Dire Straits (1978)

Heard on 101.5FM Moreton Bay:

• Cold Chisel - Houndog (1982)

• Hammond Gamble - Doin’ What I Want (1981)

Heard on 91.1HotFM Sunshine Coast:

• Boom Crash Opera - Great Wall (1987)

• Mi-Sex - Blue Day (1983)

Heard on The Breeze 92.1 Logan:

• Billy Idol - Catch My Fall (1983)

• Mondo Rock - Cool World (1981)

5 Likes

Over the last couple of days I’ve heard

Sleeping Satellite - Tasmin Archer.
On 103.7 Bunbury (community radio)

We Close Our Eyes - Go West
On 88.5 VCA Ellenbrook (WA)

Pink Cadillac - Natalie Cole
On 6IX Perth

3 Likes

That’s another classic that I love listening to.

Was covered/remixed by a dance duo called Aurora with Naimee Coleman on vocals in 2003.

2 Likes

This is a song that shouldn’t be covered. It’s a near perfect piece of pop rock; one of my favourites from the 90s. Radio Caroline are very fond of it, too.

2 Likes

There are/were other classic songs that got remixed in the same fashion too, such as…

• “Dancing in the Moonlight” (originally by King Harvest) - Toploader covered it in 2001 and in Australia it charted very well. However it became another classic example of a “one hit wonder”. Then Jubel (a Swedish DJ) released a dance remix of the song in 2020 which also charted in Australia.
  • “The Logical Song” (originally by Supertramp) - German DJ/dance group Scooter turned it into an EDM smash hit, reaching number one in Australia in 2002.
  • “Fast Car” (originally by Tracy Chapman) - two remixes of the song came out in late-2015/early-2016 by Jonas Blue and Tibtok. The Luke Combs cover released earlier this year is IMO more faithful to the original version in terms of composition and production.
2 Likes

Some good ones there. I’m impressed Triple M played Down To The Waterline.

Might have to pop Hot 91 back on the presets too if they’re playing stuff like that.

2 Likes

According to Lava, both of those songs were played during the Australian music hour at 11pm to Midnight on weeknights (on top of their extended Sunday night slot at 10pm to Midnight that I mentioned on this thread the other day).

3 Likes

GRAHAM GOULDMAN - SUNBURN haven’t heard for a while was a nice upbeat start to Saturday morning on The Breeze.

5 Likes