Great songs heard on radio

One of my favourite songs from ‘The Boss’ don’t hear it much though

3 Likes

I heard these on The Breeze today:
The Stranglers ,”Always the Sun”
John Sebastian,* “Welcome Back “

• Theme song from the 70s TV sitcom “Welcome Back,Kotter”,starring a very young John Travolta, was one of my favourites back then,maybe his first ever role
4 Likes

Mix 106.3 is seriously channeling its inner Billy Bob today:

Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop…- Montevideo & The Cassettes
The Globe- Big Audio Dynamite
Arrow- 'Ot 'Ot 'Ot

4 Likes

Hopefully that’s a good sign that they are widening their playlist to include more rarities.

It was waay too safe and predictable when I was last there in May.
It used to be a great listen a few years ago.

1 Like

It’s part of their ‘Feel Good Friday’. Mix is one of those stations that is inoffensive to most people (but the corollary is also true; it’s impressive to no-one).

There’s a big opportunity for QBN FM- with its Canberra wide coverage- to adopt a Coast FM Gosford or SWR FM format. I’d listen in a heartbeat. But given the cosiness of the Canberra market, Capital and ARN would kick up a big stink.

1 Like

Wheels Of Love / Beatfish on Breeze. I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned this one before, but what a great and rarely played song.

2 Likes

It reached #26 on the ARIA Chart back in 1991 but it’s seldom heard now. I’m surprised it didn’t make an impression on me as a kid (I love the track now).

1 Like

The song vaguely reminds me of 106.9 Q-FM so they must have been the ones playing it mostly at the time I’d say.

3 Likes

I don’t know this one,or maybe if I hear it I might remember it

1 Like
1 Like

Yes it does sound familiar now

1 Like

Gave the 101.5fm Classic Hits show another listen, these are a few songs that stood out:

• “Round and Round (12” version)" - Spandau Ballet

• “We Are Detective” - Thompson Twins

• "I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) - Aretha Franklin & George Michael

• “The First Picture Of You” - The Lotus Eaters

• “Blame It On The Boogie (7” version) - Big Fun

• “Drama!” - Erasure

• “Street Dance (original 1984 version)” - Break Machine

• “Give It Up” - KC and The Sunshine Band

3 Likes

Giving WaveFM 96.5 a good listen, these three songs stood out

• “That Ain’t Bad” - Ratcat
  • “Change In Mood” - Kids In The Kitchen
  • “Chemistry” - Mondo Rock
4 Likes

That’s part of their weekly Australian music program that airs across ARN Regional’s Hot AC stations on Sundays from 10pm to Midnight, which includes 91.1 Hot FM on the Sunshine Coast.

However, judging by Lava, “Chemistry” wasn’t played on Hot, although the other two songs mentioned were.

2 Likes

It was played on Wave, Hot and many other stations got a few more newer songs played instead.

The Nightowls - LRB on Breeze Saturday morning
Communique - Dire Straits on Paradise Sunday afternoon

4 Likes

Heard “Harder to Breathe” by Maroon 5 at 8:20pm on Nights with Dave Gleeson tonight. This was their first song under the Maroon 5 moniker, before which the band was known as “Kara’s Flowers”.

This was followed immediately after by “Give it Away” by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2 Likes

Now playing “Money For Nothing” - Dire Straits as No. 2 of the 9 at 9 on Nights with Dave Gleeson on Triple M (topic is songs with famous backing vocalists).

They are playing the extended 12" version, with the “other f word” censored, instead of the radio edit which has the entire verse skipped over.

Followed up with “The Bitch Is Back” by Elton John for No. 1

3 Likes

Some from my trip to Western Australia so far, using Lava to jog my memory!

My main station of choice has been 6IX, also some 96FM.

96FM

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury & The Blockheads
Computer Games - Mi Sex
Compulsory Hero - 1927

6IX

Listen To What The Man Said - Paul McCartney
Jean Genie - David Bowie
Macho Man - Village People

5 Likes

Been a while since I have heard any station play a Ian Dury or a Mi-Sex track on commercials (last time I heard both those exact tracks on major radio were on Dave Gleeson’s 9 at 9, with the Ian Dury song being played with the topic of 'Advertisement Songs".

And the Mi-Sex track No. 2 on Dave Gleeson’s 9 at 9 for the year 1979, with No. 1 going to “Let’s Go” by The Cars.

3 Likes