ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

Still more confusing than ever.

3 Likes

Tomorrow (Tuesday 25th February), River 949 in Ipswich will mark its 30th anniversary by doing the Top 90 of 1990 from 9am.

The station was born as QFM & was later rebranded to Star 106.9 in the mid-90s before changing to its current frequency & brand in October 2001.

Source: Radioinfo

5 Likes

Since your last visit down there in 2016 (reading from your old posts), 2ST has quite dramatically changed their music format. Back then, it had a more ‘classic hits’-based format, whereas now, it has a more modern AC format with not much music from before the 80s, almost like WS really.

Still, if/when it converts to FM, particularly with the installation of its new low-power translator at Saddleback Mountain near Kiama, it would provide a decent alternative to Wave FM & i98FM in many parts of the Illawarra, particularly south of Wollongong.

5 Likes

Macka Dixon, ex-Star Mackay and Max Taree, has landed at Power FM Bega in afternoons

3 Likes
2 Likes

The two redundancies from 3BA Ballarat.

2 Likes

What a shame.

3BA has always been well resourced for local news and the bulletins were more of an effort than the usual regional rip and read heard in many other markets. Hopefully Gabrielle Hodson moves on to a bigger gig elsewhere.

Garrath Cockerell has been a breath of fresh air for that station, moving east from Mandurah after Ballarat went through a few troubled years.

4 Likes

I notice that Classic Hots Zinc 96.1 is running with 80s April

Also :smile:
image image image image

4 Likes

Missed one :wink:

3 Likes

Best part is most of those logos are straight from the 80s.

3 Likes

Do we have a list for the casualties of the redundancies that the Camerons have been doing?

It’s not like Janet and the family are down to their last dollar and cashflow is a problem. There’s enough invested beyond radio that could be used.

Ballarat:
Gabrielle Hodson, journalist.
Garrath Cockerell, PD.

Nowra:
Dave Stretton, 2ST breakfast.

I do believe 3ba have found a replacement for the hourly local.news

2 Likes

Though their hotel at Bowral would be affected by the travel, dining and sporting restrictions.

1 Like

Yes @littlegezzybear, I had thought of their hotels and balanced that against the rest of their diverse investments.

Let’s hope these great broadcasters and radio staff find suitable employment elsewhere. Would be good to follow them and hopefully see them move into new jobs.

2 Likes

This also relates to the Am to Fm Conversions thread. With David Stratton being made redundant from 2ST, Graham Day will now host Highlands and Shoalhaven Breakfasts. With this change, Angela Welsh is now hosting the only dedicated weekday Highlands show.

With 2ST Nowra to convert to fm soon from Cambewarra Mountain, and if further redundancies mean more combined market shows 102.9 Southern Highlands will become pointless. 2ST should just convert to 91.7 from Knights Hill with the same specs as Power fmand just cover their licence area with the one frequency.
It would be a better use of the fm spectrum.

3 Likes

power fm here in ballarat has a lot to answer for . yesterday in the courier it was reported there was campers aound lake burrumbeet . one of there announcers josh got on there instagram page and called them idiots. later it was revelved to the courier by the police that the campers were infact people who were stuck and couldnt get back to there homes due to borders being shut and they got permits by the dwelp. did power fm even say sorry after calling them idiots . no they didnt .

3 Likes

Great post @JasonF, what staffer was it?

Good on those people for camping, weather hasn’t been good.

It was the Australian Community Media journalist who reported the campers were there, and implying they were there illegally. Being a reputable news organisation it would be assumed what their reporting was correct. It wasn’t. I’d blame the ACM journalist.

3 Likes

well yes but there was no need for josh to go to power fms insta page and blast the campers as being idiots

3 Likes

i would of thought it would have been a radio presenters job to research this story furthur then to just not done any research and just did what he did

2 Likes