ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

Though their hotel at Bowral would be affected by the travel, dining and sporting restrictions.

1 Like

Yes @littlegezzybear, I had thought of their hotels and balanced that against the rest of their diverse investments.

Let’s hope these great broadcasters and radio staff find suitable employment elsewhere. Would be good to follow them and hopefully see them move into new jobs.

2 Likes

This also relates to the Am to Fm Conversions thread. With David Stratton being made redundant from 2ST, Graham Day will now host Highlands and Shoalhaven Breakfasts. With this change, Angela Welsh is now hosting the only dedicated weekday Highlands show.

With 2ST Nowra to convert to fm soon from Cambewarra Mountain, and if further redundancies mean more combined market shows 102.9 Southern Highlands will become pointless. 2ST should just convert to 91.7 from Knights Hill with the same specs as Power fmand just cover their licence area with the one frequency.
It would be a better use of the fm spectrum.

3 Likes

power fm here in ballarat has a lot to answer for . yesterday in the courier it was reported there was campers aound lake burrumbeet . one of there announcers josh got on there instagram page and called them idiots. later it was revelved to the courier by the police that the campers were infact people who were stuck and couldnt get back to there homes due to borders being shut and they got permits by the dwelp. did power fm even say sorry after calling them idiots . no they didnt .

3 Likes

Great post @JasonF, what staffer was it?

Good on those people for camping, weather hasn’t been good.

It was the Australian Community Media journalist who reported the campers were there, and implying they were there illegally. Being a reputable news organisation it would be assumed what their reporting was correct. It wasn’t. I’d blame the ACM journalist.

3 Likes

well yes but there was no need for josh to go to power fms insta page and blast the campers as being idiots

3 Likes

i would of thought it would have been a radio presenters job to research this story furthur then to just not done any research and just did what he did

2 Likes

and he did sound like he had a vendeta against them esp when the post was saying ; this is a special message to the campers at lake burrumbett. then went on an shout a insta video saying the same thing and calling them idiots

1 Like

For decades radio programs have used newspapers as the basis of their discussions and have just accepted what has been written as accurate.

PS. I’m not excusing the guy who blasted the campers.

1 Like

Something happening with 2ST Bowral 102.9 past couple of days.
FM transmitter on, but no audio.
STL problem?

2 Likes

I’m sure that when 2ST converts its main Nowra AM service to FM & transmit out of Cambewarra Mountain, they won’t need an STL link to feed its 102.9 Bowral translator, at least during Nowra-based & network programming.

1 Like

Speaking of FM in Nowra RA1, were there any submissions made to the proposal? I couldn’t find any on the page with the proposal and due date of months ago.

The new ACMA site is more jumbled than the last.

4 Likes

From what I can gather, I don’t think any of the submissions have been made public. If they were, it would’ve been there to see for about 2 1/2 months now (submissions closed 28th February).

Also, the Nowra LAP Variation is yet to be finalised, as there’s nothing on the Federal Register of Legislation about it at this point.

1 Like

I will call ACMA on Monday in that case.

What is the best approach?

Ask how many submissions were made?

Subsequently ask if they could be emailed?

Subsequently, if not, contact the Minister’s office? (The speed of all submissions to ACMA that are eventually uploaded is far too slow and should be addressed beyond this request.)

if the Minister’s office isn’t forthcoming, FOI application?

2 Likes

Re 2ST 102.9 Bowral.
They’re now back on air.

2 Likes

They use tielines to link the studios, probably just over public internet. The connection would have dropped out. I was listening to 102.9 yesterday and heard the token “tieline glitch” a few times. Playout would be coming from Nowra.

Speaking of 2ST I’m listening to it right now via 91.7. They are doing a “songs that didn’t make the top 10” weekend. Despite also now playing newer songs their music is head and shoulders better than most station these days.

6 Likes

Yeah I agree, I tuned in recently I thought it was pretty good.

2 Likes

Isn’t it though!

I thought the last site was poor but gee the new one is a disaster that seems to actually have less information, that’s also harder to find… And it’s ugly… One of the worst new websites I’ve seen lately.

3 Likes

I’ve found using Google is the only way to find most information on the ACMA website, because the site search is useless.

3 Likes