Gold Coast - Survey 3, 2018

Hot Tomato has maintained its position as the #1 station with a 15.3% share, followed closely by Gold FM, who scored a 14.1% share after going up 2.2% from the previous survey. Sea, on the other hand, fell further behind, going down 0.7 to land at 10.7% share. It’s also worth noting that MSR scored an asterisk, whilst Nova is the highest rating Brisbane station.

The “Other Stations” scored a 28.3% share, down from 30.6% in the previous survey.

2 Likes

Hot Tomato loosing breakfast is interesting, with Emily-Jade being on Maternity Leave listeners may not be enjoying her replacement Brooke Hansen.

Gold up in drive with the recently cancelled QLD based program.

1 Like

It’s interesting to see that Gold FM is doing well in the Gold Coast market, whereas as we saw the other day, 2GO down on the NSW Central Coast, which also has two other local commercial radio stations plus an older-skewing community station & overspill from an adjacent metro market, does poorly, even though it has the same music format, albeit Gold’s log is different from the rest of the network.

On among the older demographics, the “Other Stations” fell from previous survey, in which on among the 55-64s, it went down from 35.9% to 31.3%, whilst on the 65+, it fell from 60.5% to 52.1%. Also, it’s interesting to note that both RN & ABC Classic FM outrated 91.7 ABC Gold Coast in the 65+.

1 Like

Wow that figure for the local ABC station is pretty appalling.

I seem to remember that it used to do really well on the Gold Coast years ago.

Or did it?

1 Like

My memory is that what was 91.7 Coast FM used to rate really well when it had local music-based programs and wasn’t forced to take the metro talk programs, sport and Australia All Over.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, since Nielsen started surveying the Gold Coast market on a regular basis in 2005, the best overall share 91.7 ABC Gold Coast could get was a 7.9% share in Survey 1 of 2015.

2 Likes

More analysis later from me, on a light note, MSR rated *

1 Like

I used to love Coast FM. I reckon it was a bit of a template for Double J. It was “adult alternative” but perhaps a little more easy listening than Double J is today.

3 Likes

On the flipside it was also interesting to see that Sea FM Central Coast was within 0.1% of market Star 104.5 (and are #1 in the breakfast, afternoon & drive timeslots) while up on the Gold Coast, Sea FM is mostly well behind Gold & Hot Tomato.

There was that controversy reported by The Gold Coast Bulletin back in May about a Sea FM employee’s girlfriend winning two overseas holiday competitions in less than a year, but I’m not sure if it would’ve had much of an effect on the station’s ratings.

1 Like

Not only that, JJJ beat Sea FM in the mornings (9am-12pm weekdays) slot, and is #1 in the 18-24s, with Hot Tomato ahead of Sea in that same demographic. The only demographic where Sea outrates Hot Tomato is in the 25-39s, whilst the only demographic that Gold outrates Hot Tomato is in the 55+.

1 Like

a bit of an outlier result for Gold this one - not many 10-17s would be going from Sea to Gold - not 6 points worth anyway.

3 Likes

The only pre-Nielsen data I’ve been able to unearth for Gold Coast is from 1991:

1. Sea FM 23.3
  2. KROQ 18.1
  3. Coast 9.3
  4. 4KQ 7.9
3 Likes

The difference being that Star is closer in format to 2GO than Sea, while Hot Tomato is closer to Sea than Gold.

3 Likes