Gold Coast - Survey 2, 2021

4 Likes

Hot Tomato scored 16.1% to remain well ahead of the other local commercial stations, down 2.4% from the previous survey, with Triple M 2nd with 11.4%, up 1.2%. JJJ was 3rd with 9.6%, up 1.9%, followed by Hit (now Sea FM as from today) with 7.8%, who fell 1.4%.

In the demos, Hot Tomato is #1 in the 10-17s & 40-54s, with JJJ topping the 18-39s, Triple M topping the 55-64s & RN #1 in the 65+.

In breakfast, Hot Tomato’s Galey, Emily Jade & Christo remains on top with 14.2%, followed by JJJ’s Bryce & Ebony with 11.8%, Triple M’s Bridge, Spida & Flan with 10.5%, and Hit/Sea’s Bianca, Dan & Ben with 8.9%. In drive, Hot Tomato’s Moyra & Baggs remains on top with 17.7%, followed by Triple M’s Molloy with 12.1%, JJJ’s Hobba & Hing with 11.2%, and Hit/Sea’s Carrie & Tommy with 9%.

The “Other Stations” ratings is at 29.8%, down from 30.8% in the previous survey.

6 Likes

Radio National is No.1 with the 65 plus (with less than a 10% share)

Triple M is No. 1 with the 55 - 64 year olds. Triple M is rocking the oldies. I am old enough to remember when it was an under 40s station. They may need to change the Triple M “whisper” to a “yell”

Triple M launched with the slogan “Because Your Ears Have Brains”. Now they can use “Because Your Ears Have Hearing Aids”

6 Likes

It’s worth noting that the “Other Stations” rate very high in those demos, with 39.2% in the 55-64s & 47.6% in the 65+, most of which would be towards 94.1FM, 4CRB, Breeze & to a lesser extent, Radio 97/104.1FM.

5 Likes

And that is the lowest number ever registered for 90.9 (by a full share,) no doubt many will be hoping the return to Sea will turn the tide.

7 Likes

Call me sceptical but I would be VERY surprised if Triple M was No 1 with 55 - 64yo’s, when there are stations like Breeze and 94.1 on the coast.

5 Likes

A lot of this is to do with the programming of the Hit network going away from their core broad 18-39 audience and becoming a 24-54 female skewed network. Fine in a metro market where the markets are bigger but they have sent the younger listeners to Triple J / Hot Tomato. The same has happened in other competitive markets, Newcastle, and a big chunk of their listeners to sister station Mix in Canberra which is not in a competitive market.

I don’t think the change of name back to Sea fm will make much of a difference ratings wise, it had minimal impact in Brisbane and Adelaide. Basically If SCA want to turn around Sea fm they need to drop the network music log and reprogram it better to compete with Hot Tomato.

3 Likes

Agree.

Number one of listed stations surveyed.

Imagine if covid testing matched radio surveys; our hospitals would be full with so many cases who weren’t noted and tested.

3 Likes
1 Like

SCA reckon Hit is No.1 with 25 - 39 years olds with a 14 share.

Only if you don’t count Triple J’s 29% share.

7 Likes

Typical marketing spin to cover shit survey results for Hit and Triple M For example Hit is #1 with crazy cat women.

Triple M is the #1 station for 54 year old males who are alcoholics and have a gambling addiction.

I don’t buy this stuff, Triple J has taken a large chunk of 18-39’s who probably would have listened to Sea / Hit fm in the past.

5 Likes

Why aren’t Rebel, Breeze and Radio 97 in the ratings?

2 Likes

I am pretty sure it’s because they don’t pay GfK the money they charge to have their stations included in the surveys.

No pay = no ratings data

2 Likes

Probably because Rebel, Breeze and Radio 97 are not officially Gold Coast stations.

No doubt a similar reason why The Edge 96.1 isn’t in the Sydney AM/FM radio ratings surveys, even though reception is possible in most of the market and ARN most certainly would have the money to have them there.

2 Likes

I’d say the commercials would also not want any more stations that were not licenced to serve the Gold Coast even if they did pay.

3 Likes

Yeah but Rebel rates quite highly on the GC especially in the last few years so many people i know listen to it. It’s particularly popular with tradies too i notice.

4 Likes

Not sure about Rebel or Breeze - probably because they’re not full blown commercial stations.

As for Radio97, they don’t participate in the ratings the same way 2SM doesn’t compete in the Sydney survey.

1 Like

It’s strange though that the Brisbane stations are allowed. They’re not licenced to the Gold Coast either. In fact Breeze and Rebel are far more local to the GC.

3 Likes

Let’s set the record straight.

ACMA Gold Coast RA1 licence area has 3 commercials serving the whole GC market; Sea, MMM, HotTom. Commercial Radio Australia rules require unanimous agreement from market survey participants to add stations that are partially or wholly out of market in the published survey result.

The Breeze & Rebel commercial radio licence area overlaps the GC market, they want to participate and are willing to pay, but have been previously refused as the GC RA1 participants don’t unanimously agree.

They choose to freely publish most Brisbane commercial stations, who have no licence area overlap with the GC market.

It’s not hard to conclude the likely reasons behind that.

4 Likes

Breeze & Rebel have been keen to commission its own independent GC survey. CRA responded by raising possible consequences for surveying the GC and publishing the results, including expulsion from CRA membership.

Many CRA/GFK markets (including the GC) survey well outside their ACMA licence area.

So would CRA actually expel Breeze & Rebel for doing what other members already do? At CRA anything is possible.

4 Likes