Gogglebox Australia

I think it’s almost certain that “Melbourne returning to lockdown news” will be reviewed on this week’s episode of Gogglebox.

The big question: Will broadcast rights allow Gogglebox to review any of the Australian Open tennis? It’s to my understanding that this is the first time the AO and “Gogglebox season” have fallen at the same time (previously the tennis has finished weeks before Australia’s most famous TV viewers returned to their couches for another year) and one would imagine that the producers would like to get some form of tennis review in, especially if players like Ash Barty do well.

A few weeks too late now, I think.

Yes, I’d expect these three programs to be reviewed within the first two episodes.

1 Like

Gogglebox has returned for Season 13, caught it on Foxtel tonight.

This week they cover:

• Holey Moley
  • Brigerton
  • The Amazing Race
  • Fake Famous
  • Field Trip with Curtis Stone
4 Likes

Was there any new households?

Considering that none have been announced in the media prior to tonight, I would guess no.

No just a couple of new houses for exisiting households.

1 Like

they must be doing well for themselves

Thoughts about this which I don’t believe has been mentioned yet?

I personally think that if/when a point comes in the future that Millie and/or Holly (quite understandably) decide to part ways with Gogglebox, it’d be for the best if the show moved on from the Daltons and onto a new family.

OK, so The Jacksons were still on Gogglebox for some time after Corey moved out. But while he was good value, the dynamics didn’t really change that much (if at all) with five remaining kids alongside Grant & Stacey during the remainder of their time on the couch.

By contrast, Millie and especially Holly seem to add far more to Gogglebox than either Matt & Kate. Sure, both have their moments in the roles of “daggy mum” and “slightly conservative dad” but are Matt & Kate Dalton strong enough to work on-screen without their girls (now young women!)? Somehow, I’m not so sure about that.

Holly is the MVP on Gogglebox. Without Holly, the Daltons are boring
IMO, the show has suffered from the departure of Yvie & Angie and Adam & Symon. None of the replacements offer much.

3 Likes
1 Like

There’s no reason why the girls can’t still be a part of the show without living at home. Plenty of the other households are like this.

5 Likes

Interesting, in last night’s episode there was an extended segment on the tennis (obviously), but instead of taking various moments of Nine’s telecasts from last week, it was actually through ABC News (and a report/reporter of various matches including the lockdown night). How strange.

Wonder if there was some rights/accreditation issue, with playing footage (not in a news bulletin) in another show on another network?

Also notice Seven News are now using Nine’s footage, rather than sneaking other raw/satellite feeds of the world feed (which strategically omits Nine’s watermark).

Not really. You can’t expect the Goggleboxers to watch hours and hours of the tennis when you just want them to talk about the highlights. This has happened before.

1 Like

Presumably from the news channel rather than one of the local bulletins?

I’d imagine that if there were rights issues which prevented the use of any Australian Open footage, Gogglebox would’ve done a “due to rights issues, we can’t review any of the tennis…” spiel before moving onto another program review, similar to what they had to do for the 2018 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony!

Not surprisingly they put shit on Holey Moley cause it was a channel 7 show (they should have shown more of Rob Riggles commentary) and heaped praise on Amazing Race.

Surprised MAFS wasn’t there.

1 Like

Geez it’s good to have them back. This is literally my only appointment tv for the week at the moment (which is a sad state for free to air).

Love this show.

4 Likes

Why wouldn’t they bash Holey Moley? Watching it for the first time on Gogglebox last night and it looks awful. I can now understand why it’s flopping big time.

6 Likes
1 Like

They reviewed Holey Moley honestly, it is shit. :laughing:

6 Likes

Not particularly bold prediction: Next week’s episode of Gogglebox Australia will feature a review of “Facebook Blocks Australian News Pages” coverage!

Aside from that “Grand Reunion Event” (which aired on January 31/February 1, a bit out of date by last night), it doesn’t return for 2021 until Monday night?

1 Like

I’d be happy if MAFS didn’t feature at all. We need reactions to other shows and there are a lot more out there worth featuring.

3 Likes