Gogglebox Australia

Admittedly, I thought exactly that after reading about how they were somehow involved with Ten’s Melbourne Cup coverage!

Either way, this viewer wouldn’t be overly surprised to see Adam Densten & Symon Lovett eventually go on an Angie Kent & Yvie Jones-esque media career path.

1 Like

That or they Block with the brother as a connection

I’m def sad to see Adam and Symon go but my first thoughts were I’m a Celeb as well.

Or Amazing Race 2020. :wink:

That didn’t take long…Adam and Symon are on radio right now on 2 day FM …the Sunday experiment

They have been for weeks.

It’s a program that rotates it’s hosts every month or so.

Adam and Symon have obviously seen the opportunities that have arisen for Yvie and Angie post Gogglebox and decided to try their luck. I hope Gogglebox doesn’t turn into another show used merely for ‘contestants’ to become famous.

2 Likes

As we saw with that other show they did about news articles they have a chance to get the cast very wrong.

Pure gossip but if it happened, there will be a backlash and it will be detrimental to the show.

1 Like

Ahh yes, Man In A Van where the two guys turned out to be a comedian and the lead performer in a local rock band. That said, most viewers didn’t really know or care about how Yvie Jones worked at Seven Melbourne’s publicity department in the mid-2000s or how The Jacksons were Nine News’ 2012 NSW Budget Report family!

My random suggestion for a new group of Goggleboxers who’ve had previous TV experience if any of the producers are reading: Ruth & Thomas from Lateline (2016) and Love On The Spectrum (a few weeks ago)!

And Angie was a publicist at Nova too.

You know that’s completely different to being a contestant on a reality show though, don’t you?

1 Like

Come to think of it, wasn’t one of Adam or Symon a contestant on Hot Seat once? Because I’ve got a vague recollection of that being referenced during an episode.

Of course. But the fact is that a number of Goggleboxers have had media experience before, even if only in spots that 99% of the general public wouldn’t remember.

People wouldn’t have a problem with a family who featured in a news story or had worked behind thd scenes in media.

They would object to reality “stars” being recruited to a show which is supposed to be about “ordinary” people and what should be their natural comments and reactions to watching television shows.

Anyway, if they were ever to do something as stupid as that, it would the beginning of the end for the show and I would stop watching.

2 Likes

Fair point. I wouldn’t like to see ex-reality stars become Goggleboxers either. But at the same time we have to acknowledge that for some participants, their time on the show is going to be used as a vehicle to boost their media profiles before hopefully going onto bigger things.

Besides, Gogglebox would probably have a considerably larger focus on news/current affairs and sport and perhaps a pinch less on reality programs if it was anywhere near reflective of what Australia actually watches on TV (if the ratings system can be trusted)!

But that’s different if they are unknowns and later want to use the exposure, to do other things. As you say, I object to anyone who already has a profile using Gogglebox just to become more “famous”.

1 Like

Gogglebox wins Mediaweek’s Best Reality TV award for the second year in a row.

An ad on the Foxtel homepage promoting “The 20% Sale” subscription offer indicates season 11 will premiere on Lifestyle and 10 at the end of February.