Gladiators

I would disagree, the original was just as camp.

This one?

Or this one?

250px-Australian_Gladiators_series_3

300px-Gladiators-original

1 Like

I mean, can’t disagree they’ve hammed up the costumes a little more with this new version.

I guess it’s just a case of the times. Back in the 90s those photo’s would have felt a bit camp too. I’m guessing having too much hyper masculinity in a cast shot wouldn’t market well. Personally I think it looks great. They’ve glammed them up a bit which makes it a bit more fun and appealing IMO.

1 Like

They’re not wearing capes and face makeup back then lol

They are a bit more “out there” these days but I think you’ll find they would have all been wearing make up for the television appearances and photo shoots back then too.

I think they’re trying to appeal to the Marvel generation and make them look like superheroes.

2 Likes

Looks interesting .

Here are the identities of the 12 new gladiators but their nicknames will be revealed later.

2 Likes

Gladiators Ready To Disrupt Summer Viewing.

The Gladiators Are Ready To Conquer Summer Audiences When Entertainment Meets Sports Meets Comedy Viewing For Families.

Building on the buzz from the announcement of the impressive Gladiators set to rule the arena, the format is also flexing its muscles as a major contender for entertaining, superhuman and hilarious summer viewing for families.

Rod Prosser, Chief Sales Officer, Paramount Australia and New Zealand (ANZ) said the juggernaut format from the 90s was tapping into a current zeitgeist and passion for nostalgia.

“Gen Z are leading a 90s revival at the moment with a recent report showing 61% agreed they loved the nostalgia of 90s TV, so Gladiators is primed to capitalise on this trend and we’re ready to reimagine the format for today,” said Rod.

Australian viewers also lean into competitions, relish the contest and celebrate superhuman feats with challenge-based reality formats, like Gladiators, consistently the top viewed shows each year.

“Gladiators sits in a genre that regularly tops TV viewing such as Australian Survivor that’s in the top 5 regular series of 2023 in 25 to 54s and 16 to 39s, and I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! that’s in the top 10.

“And just like these shows, Gladiators holds huge family appeal and we’re experts in delivering this type of entertainment with more of our primetime programs watched by co-viewers than our competitors,” added Rod.

Gladiators will supercharge summer entertainment as a strong contender and alternative to sport offering appointment viewing for families to enjoy the ultimate test of speed and strength with just a dash of comedy.

“Gladiators is big, brash, bold and noisy offering alternative summer entertainment for Australian families.

“And Aussies love a hero so with Beau and Liz at the helm, both icons in their sports, and a cast of well-known, athletic Gladiators, from former Olympians to Insta-famous personal trainers, there’s a hero for everyone in the family to barrack for this summer,” said Rod.

The muscle and strategic minds behind the fierce costumes include athlete and coach Harriet Roberts (Arrow), bodybuilder Jaymi-Lee Morris (Chaos), athlete and TED speaker Damien Gilbert Rider (Cobra), two-time Ninja Warrior Tatyanna Pogonza-Dumas (Comet), fitness coach Blessings Chilufya (Cyclone), Commonwealth Games athlete and CrossFit games athlete Alethea Boon (Elektra), stuntwoman and MMA fighter Chanique Greyling (Halo), bodybuilder Kwame Duah (Maximus), former NRL player Sandor Earl (Phoenix), CrossFit Games athlete and former Australian hockey player Katelin Marks (Raven), CrossFit Games athlete Khan Porter (Spartan) and Australian ironman Jett Kenny (Viking).

Gladiators is made for Network 10 by Warner Bros. International Television Production and executive produced by Johnny C. Ferraro and Barry Poznick. The original Gladiators series was created by Johnny C. Ferraro and Dan Carr and produced in association with Flor-Jon Films. Gladiators is distributed by Amazon MGM Studios Distribution.

Meet The Gladiators.

Arrow, Chaos, Cobra, Comet, Cyclone, Elektra, Halo, Maximus, Phoenix, Raven, Spartan And Viking Are Coming To 10 And 10 Play In 2024.

Twelve Gladiators have their sights set on ruling the brand-new gladiatorial arena. A mix of disciplined warriors, mischievous rule breakers and gruff fighters known as the Gladiators will take on Contenders from all walks of life in the ultimate David vs Goliath battle.

The muscle and strategic minds behind the fierce costumes include athlete and coach Harriet Roberts (Arrow), bodybuilder Jaymi-Lee Morris (Chaos), athlete and TED speaker Damien Gilbert Rider (Cobra), two-time Ninja Warrior Tatyanna Pogonza-Dumas (Comet), fitness coach Blessings Chilufya (Cyclone), Commonwealth Games athlete and CrossFit games athlete Alethea Boon (Elektra), stuntwoman and MMA fighter Chanique Greyling (Halo), bodybuilder Kwame Duah (Maximus), former NRL player Sandor Earl (Phoenix), CrossFit Games athlete and former Australian hockey player Katelin Marks (Raven), CrossFit Games athlete Khan Porter (Spartan) and Australian ironman Jett Kenny (Viking).

Their years of training, competing and dedication has led them to gain superhuman-like status, and they will not be intimidated by mere mortals.

Watch with bated breath as the Gladiators and Contenders are put through their paces in a series of iconic events made famous in the original series, along with brand-new challenges. With the Contenders playing for the ultimate money-can’t-buy-prize – joining as a Gladiator in the next season – they won’t go down without a fight of epic proportions.

Gladiators will be hosted by iconic sports stars Liz Ellis and Beau Ryan.

In a Gladiators vs Contenders combat of epic proportions, who will be victorious?

Gladiators is made for Network 10 by Warner Bros. International Television Production and executive produced by Johnny C. Ferraro and Barry Poznick. The original Gladiators series was created by Johnny C. Ferraro and Dan Carr and produced in association with Flor-Jon Films. Gladiators is distributed by Amazon MGM Studios Distribution.

2 Likes

So it’s coming in summer and touted as an alternative to sports, is this their answer for early January since The Bachelors didn’t set the world on fire after Celebrity was bumped to later in the year?

They are doing another season of The Bachelors though and I can only see that as being a summer show again - so it sounds like these shows could run together in January.

Perhaps you’re right there, but I get the impression The Bachelors will air this year rather than early next.

It was also included in the promo for everything still to come in 2023 back in mid July and touted as “coming soon” - which I realise is fairly ambiguous.

Going into October Ch10 still have most of the season of The Masked Singer to air, The Amazing Race: Celebrity Edition and Dessert Masters to come. I’m not sure how much time these shows will fill but I was assuming they were leaving Dessert Masters for the tail end November/early December.

I just don’t know if Gladiators will work as a multi-night a week show, which makes me feel like it might go Sunday/Mondays and then the Bachelors Tuesday-Thursdays in Jan. I guess it’s possible they could pair Bachelors with Dessert Masters though (if DM is a short number of episodes).

4 Likes
1 Like

From Upfronts

Bursting out of the blocks in 2024 is a show that is the very definition of family entertainment. Gladiators is one of the world’s most exciting sports entertainment game shows and it’s all set for a triumphant return to Australian screens early in the new year.

A team of 21st century superhumans are relishing the chance to challenge a new breed of brave, everyday Aussie contenders in the ultimate test of speed, strength, stamina, agility and power. Hosted by sporting legends Liz Ellis and Beau Ryan, Gladiators will unquestionably get the thumbs up from viewers this summer.

With final logo revealed

1 Like

Don’t worry like anything on 10 it won’t rate and will so be quickly forgotten as well as Deal or No Deal.

Seriously though I agree with you , gladiators worked well as a weekly format . The 2008 version was a dull cheap knock off as will Mullet TVs version.

RIP Gladiators.

Not sure I’ve seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but Gladiators is slated for Sunday 7 Jan.

1 Like

Surely the show must start filming soon, given the time needed for post production. I still haven’t been able to find out details about audience tickets.

I am surprised to see a sport-oriented show be pitched as 10’s big alternative to sport.

Surely, Gladiators could work better against other programming.

Hell, if it was produced, it would be perfect right now, as it would be up against the generally female-skewing love shows that are overrepresented over the next few months (My Mum & Your Dad, Love Island, Big Brother: Love House).

Filming wrapped a few weeks back in Sydney. Audience was closed to people connected to cast & crew.

3 Likes