General TV History

Some promos from 1999 - That 70s Show, Felicity, Martial Law and Home Improvement - summer programming just commencing.

3 Likes

And a set from 1996 - Witness (with Jana Wendt), Full Frontal and Better Homes and Gardens

2 Likes

Examples Peter Hitchener and Jo Hall presenting together in 2000 (New millennium), 2001 (9/11) and 2005 (Death of Kerry Packer).

9 Likes

The day when Denis Pagan joined Carlton which started the downfall of this once proud club.

has Channel Seven ever interrupted a AFL match for a news flash? the closest might have been the Port Arthur massacre or maybe Princess Diana?
edit: i know with Princess Diana’s death it was Essendon v Adelaide at the MCG. can’t remember if it was during the pregame or if it was during play.

Definitely during play, 3LO interrupted play and crossed to the news room (back when they had a local newsreader on weekend afternoons), think it may have been Rowan Forster with Peter Booth and Tim Lane doing commentary. The Port v St Kilda game was probably live into Melbourne, on HSV with the Essendon v Adelaide match highlights from 5pm. Collingwood v North might have been on C7 cable.

This was Nine’s newsflash for the death of Diana.

5 Likes

It wasn’t Channel 7 but I know that Channel 9 interrupted a Brisbane vs Bulldogs game to bring a couple of newsflashes about Beaconsfield. First was about the miners being trapped, the second was when Richard Carleton had his fatal heart attack.

1 Like

From memory Channel 9 had a scrolling ticker on the bottom of the screen announcing that she’d be in a serious car accident. Then broke to the video above

The initial news about the accident came from Jim Waley during Sunday earlier in the morning. I can remember hearing that and then later being in the kitchen that afternoon when I heard the newsbreak announcing the death.

Not the first time I’ve seen this, but what awkward wording.
“The news out of Paris on the condition of Diana is not good. She is now officially reported as dead”

3 Likes

Newsflash of the announcement that Princess Diana was seriously injured… (Video Uploaded by Dan Martin)

4 Likes

There were quite a few updates across the day. After the news flash about the death, Nine interrupted the swimming again. Seven used the CNN feed that was available. Ten had a special bulletin. ABC had an early news bulletin then a national 7pm one from London.

Nine’s line up that night (news was at 6pm)

CNN on Seven

Sky on Nine

4 Likes

Ten special bulletin

ABC 7pm bulletin from London

World

5 Likes

The Funeral Coverage by (National) Nine News: (Uploaded by me):

4 Likes

i think it was the AFL game between the Swans and Lions. i was listening to that game on Triple M via the AFL site, and was surprised that they didn’t go to the newsroom unlike Nine.

[quote=“TelevisionAU, post:167, topic:137, full:true”]

I know that Seven had NBL nationally from 1988-1991 (the Skase era) matches were shown on Sunday afternoons at 12 noon. When a Melbourne team was in the finals it was shown live. Prime had coverage of Wollongong and Canberra matches in all its NSW and Victorian (ie. Albury Wodonga) markets on Saturday nights around 10.30.pm.

Channel 7 NBL coverage theme song “Dare to Win” from 1989

1 Like

Yeah a lot of pubs mainly used to do this down in Geelong, was great for watching cricket in summer when Nine Melbourne turned off the MCG games after a couple of hours. Many pubs had the high masts with Band III antennas for Channel 6 (and later Band IV antennas for the aggregated channels) such as this:

Unfortunately Geelong is just that bit too far south/east to get reliable reception from Lookout Hill, head even a few kms west towards Winchelsea and it gets much easier. Still, some locations did manage to try and succeed despite the difficulty, though few tried given the difficulty and the relative ease of getting TV from Melbourne with its superior range of channels to Ballarat.

2 Likes

UHF antennas pointing south particularly in Western Sydney were for the same reason, to watch Cricket and other sports that didn’t air fully in Sydney. Still plenty of them around and just like Geelong, nearly every pub had the south facing antennas. There are some houses that still have the old Band 2 antennas from the days of Channel 4 out of Wollongong.

3 Likes