General TV History

Bet today’s presenters are glad the lapel mics have shrunk a lot!

1 Like

Ya dat was me.

Tickers were already a ‘thing’ (especially on CNBC at the time), but networks picked up the ticker for 24 hour usage in the hours after 9/11.

I wonder if anyone has ratings from that era between Roscoe and Waley. Would be interesting to see. Or even just to see what the ratings were like when Roscoe succeeded Ann Sanders and Ross Symonds - like was there an automatic rise for Seven at that point, or was it a gradual increase?

Never liked the Split 7 logo

1 Like

Tickers were a rare thing on Australia bulletins pre 2001. I think the ABC Midday News bulletin at the time may have had one for its finance report, but I think Seven lead the way when introducing one on Sunrise and its Morning/Afternoon News Bulletins. Nine soon followed.

I never liked the current one.

Split Circle 7 - great great logo imo.

Rainbow Circle 7 - classic.

Ugly Ribbon 7 - meh

@Wade I don’t have any exact details. But from what I’ve heard, Jim was beating Sanders/Symonds easily in 2003, until Roscoe began his 1st full year in 2004. National Nine News only won 27/40 weeks in 2004 with Roscoe taking up the other 13 weeks, then when Ferguson took over in 2005, National Nine News plunged into ratings free-fall with Roscoe and Juanita Philips taking 1st and 2nd places respectively.

In 2009, when Peter Overton took over, Nine News suffered its first ratings rock bottom, behind Seven, ABC and Ten News, before catching up slowly to the No.1 position by 2011, and we all know that Nine has now been No.1 in Sydney for the past 6 years…

4 Likes

The rainbow circle one has been my favourite Channel 7 logo since the 80s.

I don’t mind the other two though.

1 Like

Seven have been using the current logo since 2003. Time for a change maybe?

The logo is still working fine no issues I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

1 Like

The solid red 7 logo has been in use since 14 September 2003.

Ten changed their logo from blue and yellow to sblue with a silver ring since 2013

1 Like

It’s to my understanding that there’s been several incarnations of Ten’s current logo over the years. The original version was blue with yellow “ten” text and a grey/purple-ish border. During the mid-90s the logo was blue and white in much of the On-Air Presentation while it was a blue/yellow logo in the Ident during the “Give Me Ten” era.

I think after about 1996/97, Ten went back to a version of the logo which was closer to the original until around 2000 or so when it became blue/yellow across the entire network. For a while during the mid-2000s, Ten used an “outline” version of the logo but the blue/yellow version remained in use.

The blue/yellow Ten logo was glossed up for 2008 and while colours changed to the sky blue and white/light grey version currently in use around July 2013.

2 Likes

The Ribbon 7 was in place before the 2000 Olympics, was it not? I note it had some minor changes since

Likewise with the Ten logo, its colour has changed slightly but is otherwise the same form as the logo first introduced in the early 90s.

Nine of course put both to shame with logo longevity, if we can forget the brief period where the balls were dropped…

1 Like

I can’t remember the time but I remember reading the ribbon logo launched on January 1st 2000.

edited: I words

1 Like

Yes it was either on the evening of 31.12.1999 or early on 1.1.2000. The first I saw the logo was the watermark at about 3am on New Year’s Day.

1 Like

Would most likely be the early morning of 1/1/2000 since the old watermark appeared in the New Year’s Eve 1999 AFL game.

1 Like

what year was it when the AFL footage didn’t have the watermark on the DVDs for games?

I think it was on the stroke of midnight. I remember seeing the logo during or after the fireworks coverage.

Swapped over pretty much right on Midnight or a few minutes after.

Although the news department must have missed the memo as it still had the old 7 logo for the 6.00pm news on New Year’s Day :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes