General TV History

it was 1990. Don’t know the reason. Probably cost cutting, which all networks were doing at that time.

2 Likes

In those days, it was usually the female that went.

With her award yesterday, a couple of clips of Kay McGrath from her long history on Brisbane TV

Very emotional report

4 Likes

True but she was probably the more well known of the two. He was a relative unknown from interstate. And it got Seven some nice PR to have a female chief newsreader.

4 Likes

Pretty much. They decided Jen was the stronger link.

Yet kept Marie-Louise for calling her husband an A-hole :rofl:

4 Likes

On this day in 1996. TMK Seven were the original telecaster of the infamous Essendon vs St Kilda game which was interrupted by a blackout; they eventually televised the “remainder” of the match the following Tuesday.

2 Likes

What’s was TMK Seven? Whilst produced by Seven it was broadcast on Optus Vision.

TMK stands for ‘To my knowledge’.

I see. Well definitely was on Optus, but I think before the C7 era but after Sports AFL had finished producing their own coverage hence the Seven team calling and graphics. I think the follow up on Tuesdayay have been on Seven given its novelty. Stretching the memory there.

In the late 90s/early 00s how many games did 7 aired and how many games were on Optus Vision

8 Likes

Hated the warehouse presentation look that’s Channel 9 used it in 2006. This took 3 steps back from its 2004-06 look.
I would have thought that Veteran voiceover Steve Britten said ‘Thanks for watching Nine. Melbourne’s No 1.’ But actually it was Ken Sparkes.

1 Like

ABC News NSW with Leigh Sales on NYE 2000. Credit: steve rutherford

7 Likes

Aside from obviously being the night before the Centenary of Federation and the launch of Digital TV in Australia, 31/12/2000 was probably the final night for the iconic “handwriting” ABC-TV idents with a new look and the first version of the (now no longer in use, with the ABC reverting back to the classic/1975 logo in recent years) “metallic pretzel” ABC logo being launched the next day?

Obviously we all know that Leigh Sales has since moved onto bigger & better things, but I also wonder what sports presenter (now there’s something you don’t see on ABC News NSW these days) John Bell is up to these days…

3 Likes

ABC’s metallic pretzel logo was the first to be introduced in the digital age. The flat 2D logo was retired that night with the new logo launched the next day.

ABC has been re-using the 2D logo since 2014 on its website, TV and radio.

It was until Australia Day 2005 when Aunty completely revamped the news and music lasting until July 2010 to coincide with the launch of News 24.

So many things forgotten about but reminded of in the look back montage at the end. Had thought Childers had been later in the 2000’s but it was June of that year and some of the other events.

Now to revert back to the immature high school kid from 2000… hehehe… could they have said pianist any more times in that promo?

2 Likes

The whole 24 minutes was played on Tuesday

1 Like

So Channel 7’s “idea” to do Bicentennial Minutes in 1988 was done in the US over 10 years earlier

3 Likes

Lengthy 9 News Darwin promo from 2017 discussing the bulletin, with Jonathan Uptin narrating it.

1 Like