General TV History

A RARE video of the history of History of CBN8/Midstate/Prime TV in the Central West.
Dates back from 1961 to today

4 Likes

Good archives there. The 7 news logo has changed in 2004.
David Johnston’s retirement on 23 September 2005 saw the end of an era for him. Johnston was replaced by Rebecca Maddern as new anchor of 4:30PM News.

Does anyone have any archives from 2005 with Rebecca Maddern reading the 7 News at 4:30PM?

1 Like

Simone Semmens was a former Miss Victoria who went on to become a newsreader at GLV8 in Gippsland, then at Channel 7 in Brisbane and then in Melbourne (or possibly Melbourne and then Brisbane). She then became a spokesperson for Telstra.

It’s probably no accident that Seven News’ report on Ms Semmens makes no mention of her past connection to Channel 7, referring to her only as “beauty queen turned property developer” :wink:

2 Likes

I think Brisbane then Melbourne - she read at BTQ with Frank Warrick in 1988 when Kay McGrath went from TVQ-10 to ATN-7 (read the ill-fated TV-AM) before returning to Brisbane to read with Frank in 1989.

Thanks for that. AFAIK she was only a weekend newsreader at HSV.

1 Like

Yes in 1989 - ironically with Peter Mitchell.

2 Likes

Great bulletin!! One of the best!

Seem to recall Kate Dunstan then took over for a year before Mitchell went solo from ‘91? @TelevisionAU

Simone went to Telstra as a corporate spinner post-HSV.

1 Like

I don’t recall clearly enough but I would say you’re right. Definitely remember Kate Dunstan but don’t remember the timeline.

Someone uploaded the first 6 hours of the Channel 9 coverage from the 2007 Cricket World Cup Final (including ads) on to YouTube. Simon O’Donnell hosting with Mark Taylor and Ian Healy, with the latter 2 being part of the coverage for this year’s World Cup.

Credit: Bob James

3 Likes

The first Seven Early News from 14 July 2008, presented by Simon Reeve (who regularly filled in for Nat reading the news on weekday Sunrise in the noughties).

Natalie Barr was filling in for Mel on Sunrise that week. She commenced her role reading the Early News the following week.

Now I know Reeve is now based on the Gold Coast and is only committed to Weekend Sunrise these days, but it would be great for him to appear on weekday Sunrise once again.

2 Likes

A Seven News Adelaide promo from early 2002, in the early years of their ongoing dominance in the City of Churches.

Can anyone remember exactly when John Riddell replaced Greame Goodings on weeknights? Must have been sometime in 2005.

The ugly 2007 package was the worst on-air presentation in Nine’s history. It was replaced by We Heart TV in 2008 with the dots returning for the PBL O&O’ed stations.

2 Likes

Graeme left sometime in 2004 on sick leave due to bowel cancer, returned in 2005 on weekends

1 Like

This leads me to the other question - when did John Riddell step up to weeknights? Must’ve been 2005 (to my knowledge).

Clips from Channel Nine Perth: June 11, 2000

National Nine News Perth - Promo/Update:

Arresting Aussie Drama Promo:

Lineup + Ident:

2 Likes

Other way around… Mitch read alongside Kate Dunstan for about a year then with Simone… when HSV chopped Glenn Taylor for solo readers they also chopped Simone.

2 Likes

What actually happened to Glenn Taylor?

Seven dumped him and promoted Jennifer Keyte to solo newsreader. Taylor went back to Brisbane to read the news at Ten but then got sacked for being caught uttering “testicles” when he thought the microphone was off.

1 Like

Was there any reason why Seven dumped him though? Was it 1989?

Was it cost cutting?