General TV History

I would have thought that last time nine won a ratings year in perth was back in 1994. When was the last time nine won a ratings year in Adelaide?

It also happened to be the year that Nine Adelaide has been bought by WIN.

1 Like

I think it was 1999 or 2000.

From what I can also gather, the week of March 19, 2001 was also the last time ACA won a ratings week in Adelaide.

1 Like

Today Tonight has been dominant over ACA in Perth for 25 years

In fact I don’t think TT has ever lost a week in Perth.

Also, 2000 was the last time [National] Nine News won a ratings year in Adelaide.

And that year Channel Nine started off very strongly thanks to Millionaire, Friends, Backyard Blitz, Spin City, NRL and Sale of the Century. However, in September, Nine was hit hard by Seven thanks to Sydney Olympic Games. Seven won 2000 in terms of primetime shares (except Melbourne which fell to Nine by 0.1% share). Sydney was the strongest market followed by Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne. Nine won the number of weeks in 2000 ratings year. How many weeks has Seven won in 2000 in ratings year?

1 Like

In Sydney it was only a 31.8% share, the lowest of the five markets. Perth led the way with 34.5. Sydney was also Nine’s second-weakest market, only ahead of Perth. Source: List of Australian television ratings for 2000 - Wikipedia

In 2007, Seven won all five markets, including Melbourne for the first time since the late 1970s.

Obviously the Sydney Olympics was the main reason why Seven won the ratings in most markets during 2000, but wasn’t Popstars another big hit for the network earlier that year?

If that page is to be trusted though, Seven only managed to beat Nine in the Sydney market by 0.5% in 2000.

One suspects that if Weeks 38-41 (ie, when the Olympics were on) are excluded from the picture, Nine won the 2000 ratings year in Sydney.

Yeah I remember Popstars rating its socks off for Seven in the early part of 2000. Around that time, The Mole became the first reality TV show to air in Australia.

But sadly both shows deteriorated in popularity in the ensuing seasons. Popstars Live in 2004 was a massive flop, while The Mole revivals in 2005 and 2013 did not rate well.

That being said, I highly doubt Seven would revive Beauty and the Geek Australia (a friend of mine featured in the second season) in the near future.

1 Like

The previous year Nine just won the ratings year (by a fraction) in terms of primetime shares thanks to the Melbourne Games and the AFL/NRL. Seven won the number of weeks in 2006. Had Seven got the Melbourne 2006 Games, Seven would have won by a huge margin over Nine. Even Seven Melbourne would have beaten Nine if they had the games.
In 2007, Seven took out the ratings year in terms of primetime shares and number of weeks. Nine won 2 weeks in 2007. Channel Seven’s win was thanks to AFL, a new lineup and the slogan. This marked the end of Still the One for Nine, which has been used for more than 30 years.

1 Like

2011 was a dominant year for Seven as they won all 40 weeks (in fact, it won the final nine weeks of 2010, and then won the first eight weeks of 2012, for a total of 57 consecutive weeks won between September 2010 and April 2012), and also won all five markets (though Nine was strongest in the two league cities, Sydney and Brisbane).

After Week 31 of 2010, Nine led the ratings year by 16 weeks; Seven had won 14 weeks and Ten won one week. But the second season of Beauty and the Geek Australia helped Seven get over the finish line.

The week of April 16, 2012 saw Nine end the Seven dominance thanks mostly to The Voice.

I would have thought that was due to the success of MasterChef Australia. Even MasterChef AUstralia drew 4 million metro viewers during that year.
2009 was an interesting year for Perth. Traditionally, Channel SEven was a strong market in Perth followed by Nine and 10. but during that year, Channel 10 finished 2nd in Perth, which pushes Nine to 3rd place. This was thanks to the big success of the first season of MasterChef Australia and AFL on 10.
When was last time that Channel 10 finished 2nd nationally?

1 Like

No idea, though they may have been second in Melbourne during the early noughties when the network had the AFL. Seven’s fortunes suffered significantly during this period when it had no winter sport (the Wallabies Internationals aside), though in 2002 they did cover the Commonwealth Games in Manchester which was to be their last coverage of the event until Gold Coast last year.

I would have thought that 10 finished 2nd in 2004 thanks to Big Brother and Australian Idol which was a huge success. Channel Seven didn’t win a week in 2004 (IIRC).
Australian Idol Finale had 3.34 million viewers in 2004.
AFL Grand Final 2005 had 3.4 million metro viewers.
2006 AFL grand Final had 3.14 million metro viewers.

Also. Channel 7 had the Athens 2004 Games, Torino 2006 Winter Games.

1 Like

Don’t forget the AFL as well. That year, Port Adelaide defeated the Brisbane Lions in the first non-Victorian Grand Final in the game’s history.

The rebuilding at Seven started in 2005 when Lleyton Hewitt reached the final of the Australian Open, while also purchasing US heavyweight shows Desperate Housewives and Lost. Unfortunately they lost steam towards the end of that year and Nine again took out that ratings year.

In late 2005 (During the summer ratings), media tycoon, Kerry Packer died aged 68. Since New Years Day 2006, this began the downfall of Channel Nine (although Nine still used the 7-days colour package presentation). In late January 2006, Nine relaunched the presentation which removes the dots and replaced as a standalone Nine logo.
Channel Nine had a lot of flops in 2006, with Magda’s Funny Bits, Clever, Dancing on Ice, Big Questions, Two Twisted and other shows. Jessica Rowe hosting with Karl Stefanovic on Today show saw Nine losing to Seven by a huge margin. The Price is Right was being replaced by Bert’s family Feud which struggled against Deal or No Deal and TEN News at Five.

2 Likes

But they still won 2006 thanks to the Commonwealth Games (much like Seven won 2000 thanks to the Sydney Olympics).

2007 was the annus horribilis for Nine, not winning a week until about three months into the ratings season (the week of May 21, 2007), thanks to State of Origin.

But while they didn’t win a week in 2011, it wasn’t all that bad compared to 2007 because 1) they had the highest-rating program of the year (The Block finale) and 2) its Sydney news service, under third-year presenter Peter Overton, took the ratings crown back from Seven after six years.

In 2010, Seven News just won the news battle in Sydney, winning 21-18-1. The week that was tied was the first week of that year’s ratings (both drew an average of 314K that week).

2 Likes

Channel Nine started off the 2011 ratings year terribly due to the flops of $#*! My Dad Says, Mike and Molly, Ben Elton Live from Planet Earth, Top design, Million Dollar Drop, Eddie McGuire hosting This is Your Life, THe Joy of Sets and the Between the Lines. However in the 2nd half, saw Nine steadily pick up steam with The Block and Rugby World Cup 2011 in NZ, NRL, State of Origin, Two and a Half Men.
TEN had a few flops like the TEN News Revolution (which was very expensive to produce), The Renovators. 6:30 with George Negus failed to fire in ratings.
However, Nine finished 2nd and TEN finished 3rd in ratings year. TEN just finished 3rd in Perth due to AFL, MasterChef and TEN News at Five.

2 Likes

2011 also saw the end of Ten Late News and Sports Tonight, though the Late News returned in a new format in mid-2012 before disappearing for good five years ago tomorrow (May 23, 2014 was the final bulletin).

Nightline disappeared in July 2008, then Nine revived a late night news bulletin in May 2009 before rebranding it as Nightline six months later, but without the iconic music. Then it disappeared for good in June 2010.

3 Likes

2011 saw the end of Video Hits due to financial costs (IIRC). The final song being played was Every teardrop is a waterfall by Coldplay.
Tomorrow five years ago, Wake Up, TEN Eyewitness News Early and Morning bulletins have been axed due to expensive production. Wake UP show was beaten heavily by Sunrise and Today, ABC News and even a children’s show on ABC1. Wake UP was very expensive as it was produced via Manly. I find this show to be unviable. More than 100 people at TEN lost their jobs and some had redundancies. this started the downfall of TEN at this point. Following the axing of Wake Up, TEN revamped its daytime schedules with cooking shows and US programming. these rated much higher than the morning news.
second half of 2014 saw TEN fight back hard thanks to MasterChef and Glasgow Games.

2 Likes