General TV History

This was CTC’s last ID where they used the Capital 7 flag, circa late 1988.

Capital_7_1988-89

4 Likes

CTC in 1988

3 Likes

Still a great tune all these years later.

2 Likes

Before RTQ joined up with them, DDQ/SDQ was briefly known as Star Television.

Star_Television_1990

3 Likes

Some Channel Nine Perth content from 1998, 2000 and 2004:

NineLineup98

13 Likes

Some great finds. Nine Perth have come a long way since being O&O’ed by NEC in 2013.

Do you have any TVW content including Christmas Pageant and Skyworks

Great finds. I liked the way that STW9 does things a lot different. During the Summer Ratings, they got a Feel Good Summer slogan being promoted during the scene. During the lineup, I would have thought that Ken Sparkes did the voiceovers.

If I’m not mistaken, the “Feel Good Summer” branding was a network wide thing. Here’s a dreadfully edited one from NBN Central Coast (which for obvious reasons, doesn’t have the Nine logo in the sun at the start):

1 Like

Kev Kellaway was synonymous for his voiceover at NBN Television back in the days. In its 2004-06 package, most of the time Chris Brown did the voiceover for lineups in Perth. I would have thought that Ken Sparkes and Bob Peters had done a bit of voiceover for lineup shows in Perth.

1 Like

You may remember the post I made a couple of months ago when an ABC-TV promo for The Cult Of The Family included a snippet of footage from A Current Affair with Jana Wendt.

Now, it’s Seven’s turn with a bit of Anne Fulwood presenting a bulletin during an ABC-TV promo for the Walter Mikac episode of Anh’s Brush With Fame:

5 Likes

Was backyard blitz a 30min show? I thought it was 60mins, but they have postcards at 7pm

1 Like

Backyard Blitz was a half hour show for much of its run, often paired with shows like Location Location and Changing Rooms IIRC.

It’s possible that it may have been expanded to a full hour towards the end (unless I’m thinking about Domestic Blitz), but I’d have to check on that.

3 Likes

I also remember Backyard Blitz being followed at 7pm by You Are What You Eat in the early 2000s.

How did they possibly fit it all into 30 minutes (22 minutes without commercials)? The good old days when shows weren’t needlessly drawn out for 90 minutes, three times a week. Even The Block aired for one hour at 6.30pm on a Sunday night and NEVER ran over time.

8 Likes

Perth always had their own voices for lineups. Before Chris Brown it was Leo Zaza and before Leo it was Ron Steel, heard below. Ron was STW-9’s voice for about 15 years. His voice is synonmous with WA television particularly commercials. Since he left Nine, he occasionally voices on TVW-7 filling in for Fred Botica over summer.

Credit: Bergoine

3 Likes

But still lagging well behind Seven in the west.

To my knowledge, 2004 is the last time Nine won an official ratings week against Seven in Perth without the help of the Olympics, Commonwealth Games, etc.

1 Like

Speaking of Olympics, here’s some caps from 2000.

7 Likes
  • Last time nine won a ratings week in perth was back in 2006 thanks to the Melbourne Games. I seven is still winning in Perth in ratings week. It will be a miracle if nine gets a weekly win over Perth in ratings season
1 Like

Nine also won two ratings weeks in Perth during the London Olympics.

By the time those Games started, Nine News had already won the year in Sydney and Melbourne, but lost in Brisbane (that year, Seven News in that market reached the 22-week mark with 21 wins to one for Nine). Source: https://tvtonight.com.au/2012/07/nine-news-claims-the-year-in-sydney.html

One would think that Nine News in Brisbane would’ve won those two Olympic weeks, while it was a no-brainer that they also won in Sydney and Melbourne. Adelaide and Perth viewers would’ve stayed loyal to Seven News which hasn’t lost a week in either market for a very long time.

Seven News is probably so dominant in Adelaide & Perth that they’ve won the ratings every day, week and month for some time?

1 Like

In 2014, Seven News in Adelaide won every single day of the ratings year. I also can’t think of the last time they even lost an official ratings night in Perth.

2007 was the last time Seven News lost a ratings week in Adelaide; that year, Nine veteran Kevin Crease passed away after a short battle with cancer. Fair to say Nine News in that market has not been the same since.

And for good measure, Peter Waltham and Christine Parker were Nine’s newsreaders in Perth the last time it won a ratings year in that market, in 1990.

What STW should have done in 2014-15 was market Nine News as “Australia’s number one news” or something among those lines in an attempt to lure viewers to what was then the nation’s top-rating news.

1 Like