General TV History

There were some exceptions when Seven carried a AFL game from SA that started at 5.45pm in the early 90s.

3 Likes

When TVW7 combined ‘Love you Perth’ and ‘Say Hello’. courtesy of FLEMISHDOG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dugYsLaAJus

1 Like

I’d forgotten how gaudy the original Welcome Home package was until I stumbled upon this…

2 Likes

Continuing the rather interesting discussion about old news promos in a more relevant thread…

If I’m not mistaken it was John Singleton Advertising which produced the original series of “Who’s Who of News” promos for Nine, the first of which was of course for TCN Sydney back in 1993.

they never really cancelled funniest home videos did they? It stopped for a bit, came back then left again with no real announcements

it ended production in 2014

To think about it, though Seven did often shift its nightly news to fit around interstate games back in the day, and the news aired at 7pm or in some cases 7.30pm.

There were two finals in Perth though, that required a longer halftime brek(25 minutes?) for the news.

Sydney television guide for 30 November 1956. ATN-7 didn’t start until two days later. Interesting that ABN-2 had 50mins coverage of the Melbourne Olympics, and TCN-9 also had highlights. All the Sydney radio stations had news summaries of the Olympics, but ABC radio station 2FC had continuous coverage from 2:00pm til 11:00pm.

3 Likes

Flashback Friday: Channel 7 promos post-Olympics schedule in 2004. 2004 was a bad year for them but they rebounded on the back of the Olympics.

1 Like

Riveting stuff - Surprise Wedding 2 and Trading Spouses, still remembered today. :smirk:

2 Likes

Ahh the memories

2 Likes

I know that the likes of Dancing With The Stars and Border Security did well for Seven in the back end of 2004 and that news/current affairs (especially in Sydney) was on the up too, but I thought 2005 was the first year that Seven really started to seriously challenge Nine in the ratings.

It was. Without the Olympics they would have been struggling for 3rd with Ten in a number of metro areas (Melbourne and Adelaide IIRC), even in Perth they were only a couple of percent away from Nine in 2004.

1 Like

Seven was third in Melbourne and Adelaide in 2004.

2 Likes

Is it any wonder? I’m kinda ashamed they got to 2nd in Brisbane, judging by the atrocious “highlights” to Seven’s schedule seen in the promo above…

Ten had Big Brother, House, Idol… a lineup that popular today would’ve been first in the ratings.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:482, topic:137”]
I thought 2005 was the first year that Seven really started to seriously challenge Nine in the ratings.
[/quote] Desperate Housewives and Lost premiered in September 2004 in the US, but since the internet wasn’t as big back then Seven could afford to hold those two titles over until 2005. The rest is history.

2 Likes

Loss of the afl had a big impact

The top 3 shows of 2004 were the Idol, Big Brother and AFL finals, all on Ten.

1 Like

In Melbourne all three channels were doing Olympic Games coverage. Even GTV9, which was still yet to officially open, was covering Olympic Games. Nine’s coverage was sponsored by Ampol, who installed TV sets in service stations, allowing customers to watch the Olympics on TV.

1 Like