General TV History

Speaking of Sydney, here is an rare ATN7 logo from the early sixties.

ATN7%201961-64

1 Like

Nice video - though I do have to admit that while I watched the opener a few times, I then sat there for a while looping the Ten ident at the start a dozen more times.

3 Likes

Also I can’t recall ever seeing that Melbourne news set before.

4 Likes

On the day of the 20th anniversary of the original UK premiere of Who Want’s To Be A Millionaire? , one of the people that uploads full episodes of the show (mostly the US version) on to YouTube has uploaded 2 full episodes of the Australian version from November 2005!

5 Likes

Thanks! :wink:

Yes, rare find.

1 Like

I seem to remember when they added the blue tinge to that background in '91. My memory has some odd recollections!

2 Likes

Can I also say, loved the opening report from Ken Burslem. Hopefully we’ll see a return to a US bureau at TEN soon via CBS…

2 Likes

Who (over 35 at least) can forget the annual tradition that was The Wizard Of Oz.

A time before it was released on dvd or streaming and it was appointment viewing for every child and child at heart… Here’s the introduction by the iconic Ivan Hutchinson:

5 Likes

I was more into the annual tradition of Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory. Would usually be on Channel 7 at 8.30 on a Friday night :stuck_out_tongue:

For my parents it was like the annual tradition of The Sound Of Music or My Fair Lady

Back in the days when movies, even re-runs if they were good enough titles, were almost event television. Not like these days where we get the same half dozen movies cycled around every 6 weeks

4 Likes

I have a funny feeling that year’s screening, based on the movie intro before Ivan, was on the same night as a Jeff Fenech fight at Melbourne Park (research has stated this was on the 24th of November 1989), seem to recall lying on my late Grandmother’s floor at Caldwell St Glenroy watching this as a very young kid. Could stand to be corrected though as it was only a vague memory.

1 Like

Yep, all classics. I think they were the 4 big family titles that consistently rated large numbers - Oz, Wonka, Sound Of Music and My Fair Lady.

Seperately there was the more modern blockbusters like the Star Wars trilogy. I seem to recall ET not being on TV for a long time - I think TEN got it first.

But for me, The Wizard Of Oz had me checking TV Week every Monday for it’s annual broadcast.

2 Likes

RTQ7 Rockhampton turns 55 today, it began on 7 September 1963

This was RTQ7 in January 1965:

Source: TV Week

This is their 1980s logo

rtq7_1987

And in 1988 for its 25th anniversary it had this commemorative logo

rtq-25yrs

Later it became just “RTQ” then Star Television then WIN

5 Likes

Wowzers!

Seven News Adelaide 1987

4 Likes

#myfriends

3 Likes

The studios used at RTQ/WIN/Star in Dean Street have been demolished for some time now. They were last decade considering using the building as a supermarket or something similar but they ended up choosing a site further down Dean Street. Won’t be shocked if that land becomes a block of flats given it’s a decent sized plot with access to a main street on the northside of town.

2 Likes

Aired 30 Years ago today.

5 Likes

30 years ago today Brisbane was getting ready for TVQ 0 to change frequency to TVQ 10 on the 10th.

This is the mid-morning news opener for this day 30 years ago live from World Expo.

And this is the opener to the very last TVO news bulletin

6 Likes

I remember that date well, I went with a work colleague at the time to see the fight at a Sky Channel pub only to discover that Sky had blocked the live telecast to venues in Melbourne in the same way Channel 9 blacked out cricket in the city where the match is being played.

How Brisbane’s Sunday newspaper TV magazines on 4 September reported on the change to 10 the following weekend:

brisbane10 brisbane10_0001

3 Likes