General TV History

Mt Gambier was (and is) a very strong VFL/AFL city. We had Channel 7 news from Melbourne, then not long after Mal Walden got the sack it was changed to 9 Adelaide.

1 Like

NTD8 went 24h from …

‘WIN SA Start Up’ from 1999.

2 Likes

Sometime after 2002, which is the most recent NT listing I have available.

Here is some information about News At Seven, circa 1984:

1 Like

Shiet… (sorry for cursing, my friends…)
You know:

1. NTD must be 24h a day when “that” happen (see the cue below, my friends)
    It’s unbelieveable that the station was still closing down every night from the “Nine Darwin” era onward.
  2. Since WIN SA only went 24/7 from Dec 2003, it’s unbelieveable that NTD8 could only began 24/7 after that point, my friends.

A Seven Nightly News Melbourne bulletin from April 10, 1994 presented by Nicole Chvastek. Pretty rare to get full bulletins from this era.

9 Likes

When did bulletins stop running credits?

I’m sure I remember seeing them into the early 2000s on GTV, but can’t pick when they stopped.

In your country UHF was born in early 80s…
In my country UHF didn’t come until late of that decade / early 90s…

I still remember one occasion in about 2000 when RTQ 0 (WIN Toowoomba) was booming into Mount Gambier. It was difficult to tell what WIN station it was until the time zones gave it away (Qld being 30 minutes BEHIND SA in summer).

There was a time in between where SES 8 broadcast the GTV 9 bulletin. The changeover to NWS 9 occurred at some point in 1991.

1 Like

TV sets started being installed with UHF tuners when colour TV started in 1975 in anticipation for UHF channels. But it was 1980 before UHF was first launched in any major capacity. From 1976 it was law that any colour TV sets being manufactured had to have a UHF tuner included or included capability to have one added – although that could be interpreted as just being able to have a UHF converter (set top box) plugged in to the aerial socket, which any set B&W or colour would have been capable of anyway.

3 Likes

I have this cap of the GTV credits from 2009, they may have disappeared not long after this?

3 Likes

Credits only aired on Sunday nights.

1 Like

I am just reminded of a milestone that I had missed yesterday.

30 years ago, 24 April 1988 marked the debut of QSTV, the satellite off-shoot of NQTV, covering the remote satellite footprint in Queensland. It mostly followed the NQTV schedule with some opt outs, particularly as NQTV later became a Ten Network affiliate, and QSTV became “Ten Satellite”.

It later expanded into the satellite footprints also occupied by Imparja and took on Seven affiliation to become Seven Central, it is now Southern Cross Television.

This is QSTV’s first week of programs:

Source: The Sunday Mail / Scene On TV

qstv

1 Like

Did that channel became “QTV” (1990), my friend?

I am not sure what happened when NQTV became QTV, whether QSTV followed suit. It possibly did become QTV as well but I can’t be sure. Someone else here might know the answer.

That’s coincidental as we got it better on the SES8 antenna than we did on the BTV6 antenna. It must have come through on the side of the antenna, I don’t know enough about that to know how it works.

Who know the structure of ABC Regional News, my friends?
Ex: New South Wales / ACT
New South Wales
Region A
Region B

ACT
Victoria
Region A
Region B

Queensland / NT
Queensland
Region A
Region B

NT
Region A

Now here’s a rare gem from regional TV. BTV-6 Ballarat “Notice Board” segment from November 1985 (I think):

Thanks to Steve Rutherford for uploading this to YouTube!

1 Like

Please, if someone have seen this reply, tell me and anyone are in this thread:
All commercial stations (both metro and Reg.) in Australia have been at least once used the clock.
Also please tell me and everyone what year did that station use, and appearance of the clock over the years, please…
PLEASE, MY FRIENDS!!!

When you can see entirely no difference (in broadcast and presentation) between BTV6 and GMV6, my friends?