General TV History

Channel 7’s coverage of the 2006 Australian Open Federer Quarter Final including ads

1 Like

Saw this video recently - having not really seen any of the 1988 Olympics stuff (there’s a whole lot more of the 1984 stuff) - seems to be a fairly radical departure from the rest of the usage of that logo.

I’d have thought they’d just use their outline variation if they wanted it to be one colour.

4 Likes

That ‘Ten Capital Eyewitness News’ logo made me look to see if I could find an opener from that period - no luck (edit: found one in the related video immediately after, doesn’t mention Capital on the graphics though), but did find one from 1997 tucked away here Ten Capital News School Visit Educational Tape 1997.

The other videos are right near the end in 2001, where they are using a package very closely based on the then current Ten News, but interesting that they kept with the old theme and a seemingly totally bespoke opener.

Ten Adelaide did so as well for a while initially, keeping the Eyewitness News branding in a kind of hybrid package in this November 1995 video, but again, there’s a gap of videos so can’t find when they started taking the network package.

Perhaps there was just too much of a perception of less credibility with the pastel colours and lighter sounding theme?

Would be interested if anyone knows what the timelines were there, and if any other Ten stations held on to the old theme.

3 Likes

Some more of the Seoul Olympics coverage - just after TVO in Brisbane switched to Ten with the X logo.

2 Likes

A friend (the grandchild of the Warden of Devonport mentioned) just posted this video on their facebook which I hadn’t seen before, a celebration of TasTV News/TNT9 news with a story about the proclamation of Devonport as a city by Prince Charles. Not sure when this would have aired as it was a flash back and I’m not sure when TasTV started but I would say late 80’s maybe?

1 Like

TNT9 debuted 1962 so their 25th anniversary was in 1987

2 Likes

I really wish the uploader didn’t turn on the “avoid YouTube copyright detection” filter that makes the video go from side to side.

I think that’s youtube’s attempted video stabilisation - I don’t think I’ve ever seen a video improved by it.

There’s just the final bit of the opener in better quality video but worse audio here.

Yes, you are right, the logo never said “Capital Ten”, but for Canberrans who had called it “Capital 7” for the best part of a decade, guess what they called it? The 10 TV Australia logo cemented the “Capital Ten” moniker locally.

It was a muddle, as the only things that were “Capitalised” were the idents between about 6am and midnight and the continuity voiceovers. All promos were left at “TEN”; sort of like Prime7 today. However the Canberra news was very firmly “Ten news”.

OK, but my point wasn’t really about who bought what, it was about ownership. The same company that owned Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne ended up being the same company that owned QTV. That was the reason for the name change.

Incidentally, Southern Cross invented “Ten Victoria” around about 1994 after axing the news. They did the same thing in Canberra - with Ten Capital disappearing when the news went, replaced by the generic SC Ten.

1 Like

Yes, I can imagine the whole “Capital 7” and “Capital 10” (or "“10 Capital”) thing could have been confusing for Canberrans given that it was on VHF 7 for the wider Canberra region, but also as a relay on VHF 10 in Woden (as well as Cooma and Goulburn).

It was a bit. My grandmother called it “Channel 7” to her dying days. When I did my internship at Ten Capital, many people still called it “Capital Ten” which is never was officially.

At the time of aggregation, many people upgraded their TVs and aerials ready for UHF. By '89 you couldn’t buy sets with the old knobs, they were all preset buttons (and had been for several years). The frequencies became a bit irrelevant except for setting up the buttons and tuning in the video.

There were many discussions about what number you put “Prime” on for example. Many people set it as 2 from the RVN days, then WIN on 4 and ABC was VHF 3. So you’d have 2,3,4 then argue about 7 or 10. Though many TV sets only presets going from 0-8. The TV below was our family’s “aggregation set” in 1989. Panasonic didn’t have the preset buttons, but a very clever scroll and skip

2 Likes

Yes, we bypassed preset buttons, and went straight from a Sony with a rotary dial to a Sony with a stereo tuner, twin speakers and a remote!

We got that TV in 1989, and we put

SBS on 1 (RF Channel was UHF 45)
NBN on 3 (VHF 3)
ABC on 5 (VHF 5A).

And in 1992 when aggregation came we added in

Prime on 2 (UHF 54) and because 2 was a prime number as my Dad used to say, which made it easier for them to remember

NRTV on 4 (UHF 57).

ABC got retuned to UHF 48 in late 1991 as for some bizarre reason that had a much sharper picture, it wasn’t to do with reception, VHF 5A just had colours that looked decidedly washed out.

UHF 48 went to air from late 1991 in anticipation that NBN3 would switch to UHF 51 (just as WIN switched from VHF 4 to UHF 59 in the Illawarra). Which never happened of course, so ABC stayed on both VHF 5A and UHF 48 until analogue was switched off.

1 Like

I vaguely remember at the other holiday house in the Geelong area, we had an old CRT TV that was over 12 years old at the time and I remember that we had Seven on 6 and Nine on either 9 or 8.

I think it also received Prime Ballarat but we never watched it.

SBS was on I think either 28 or 10 IIRC, but we had preset 10 messed up with another network or it may have been the only preset that was aligned correctly. I don’t remember as this was over 10 years ago.

This was way before the issues that now occur in Geelong / Ocean Grove with interference and ducting from Tasmaina.

The TV also looked like the one that @CTC7-9-10 posted as well.

would the signal from Tasmania overlap with the one from Geelong?

Some of the posts in this area might be of interest

As per the first post my first there, TV had 12 presets. I tried to tune each to the associated VHF frequency for out-of area reception. TVO was on 1 IIRC 2,7, and 9 were as expected with Darling Downs ABDQ3 and Northern Rivers ABRN6 and RTN8. 10 was shared reception between DDQ10 and SEQ10. Channel 1 was tuned to the 12 button for SpE reception in summer. SBS ended up on 4.

I don’t think so.

8 Likes

I don’t know what it was but I remember noticing a definite difference when we first tuned to SBS on UHF. It just had a clarity to the picture that was just a bit better than VHF. I don’t know if that was an inherent quality of UHF or what. Maybe it was just a fluke.

I hadn’t realised 5A stayed on until analogue shutdown. I just guessed it had switched off when they switched to 48.

1 Like

Growing up in a metro signal area we just had the stations set to 2, 7, 9 and 10 as standard, though SBS remained on 0 even when it was UHF 28. Though I remember when we stayed out in Bairnsdale our grandparents TV was different due to the country stations - 2 was still ABC, 7 was Prime and 9 was WIN, but 3 was SBS (an interesting precursor to DTV LCNs), 8 was set as Ten Victoria from Traralgon (i.e. GLV-8) while they had the local Ten Victoria from Mt Taylor near Bairnsdale on 5 (again predating the DTV arrangements). In those days their house had a old mast with an antenna for receiving VHF from Traralgon, with a UHF antenna added on later to receive the local translators from Mt Taylor

1 Like

Our first colour TV (Pye, circa 1977) had 6 push buttons but not numbered. We just had them as 0 (ATV), 2, 7, 9, 10 (GLV) and a spare. When ATV went from 0 to 10 we just had to get used to going to the 10 button and we lost GLV (though we never watched it much so it was no loss). Then SBS came to 0. Then we tuned that spare button to 28 and we got a VCR so the 0 spot became the VCR channel.