General TV History

I guess I’m thinking even further back… back to the 70s. I think it was 1979 or thereabouts that Rob Gell was the first with the 4 day forecast.

This has been posted before but someone has recently uploaded a better quality version of this pretty decent NBN News promo

3 Likes

NBN News promo from 1993 showing the busy NBN newsroom in Newcastle.

3 Likes

That blue and gold rectangle as a logo got a lot of use in Australia - between Ten News in the late 80s, to NBN and Seven Nightly News in the mid-late 90s.

1 Like

Interesting Ten News Promo from the 80’s, for 2 reasons - it’s conversational and they are sending their lead newsreader on overseas assignments!

3 Likes

I don’t know why this user posted this in the Random Mocks thread, but definitely well worth a mention here I think:

Between this and the showreel clip from Velvet, it seems that there were a few elements of Nine’s 2001-02 On-Air Presentation package that never went to air. Certainly most of the music (yes, I know that the music used in these showreel/demo clips from designers isn’t always the music that’s intended to be used On-Air) was very different to what went to air anyway.

That “projector” Ident would’ve made for an absolutely fantastic Movie/Special Presentation Opener, even though the one Nine actually used back in 2001-02 was pretty good in it’s own right.

3 Likes

WIN apparently used them all.

4 Likes

Nine definitely used all of those in that WIN clip except possibly the 3rd one. (or possibly just didn’t play it a lot. It is one I don’t really recall seeing)

1 Like

I think Nine aired all those IDs in the WIN clip (but obviously with a different logo at the end) but the main green one was probably played considerably more often than the others. I wonder if WIN picked up on all those floating Nine logos that can be briefly seen at the end of the “kaleidoscope” Ident? :wink:

As well as a music change I think the IDs may have been shortened to 10 Seconds by Nine before they were aired, since the Amazonas Studios site shows 20 Second Versions of (some of) the Idents.

The music in the second clip was used for signposts at the time.

4 Likes

I don’t know why but those Nine idents from 2001-2002 always remind me of these idents Ten made in 1997.

3 Likes

Like I mentioned

Sorry, missed that.

[quote=“EyewitnessTV, post:597, topic:137, full:true”]
I’m pretty sure I have a recording of two separate closers from the early-mid '90s and an opener from the early 2000s somewhere still. When I get a chance I’ll see if I can find them.[/quote]Here’s one of the closers from 1994 I’ve got.

2 Likes

Reason why i uploaded in The mocks thread its because i haven’t find anywhere to put it in but anyway i’m new here

1 Like

Reference to Channel 10 News in this song from the 1980s. Just press play:

1 Like

Another Saturday Disney closer.

Sadly, still no openers from that era that I could find

2 Likes

[quote=“Sifon, post:804, topic:137, full:true”]Sadly, still no openers from that era that I could find[/quote]Unfortunately I haven’t been able to track down an opener yet from that era (I have another closer from that time I’ll upload soon). I know I have an opener from 2003 somewhere, but haven’t found it thus far. Such a classic tune! :slightly_smiling_face:

Indian dancer girl with a tarp remains to this day to be one of the most bizarre idents I’ve ever seen. Quite different though. Very un-Nine, especially in comparison to the fugly New Millennium Television.

[quote=“sammy123, post:796, topic:137”]
these idents Ten made in 1997.
[/quote] That look has aged much better than the brackets/Ten-in-the-corner era.

At the start of this Temptation video is an example of a Nine signpost from 2006. I didn’t know this version existed.

And this is the warehouse version.

Kudos to the uploader for leaving all the promos and presentation details around each gameshow unaffected.

3 Likes