General TV History

All this Peter Holland is reminding me of this clip (that is still just as relevant in 2018).

4 Likes

The last time Nine News Perth won a ratings year was back in 1990. I cannot remember the last time Nine News Perth won a ratings week but it was more than 2 decades ago where Seven News Perth dominated in the ratings war thanks to the two - Rick Ardon and Susannah Carr.
Channel 9 News Perth has struggled a lot in its 6pm timeslot since 2000 where it has been beaten by Seven News by more than 100k viewers. Nine News Perth finished 2nd during the early 2000s. This is being reflected in some staff changes that have happened at Channel 9 Perth since 2000.
The last time Channel 9 News Perth won a night over Seven in ratings period was back in 2012. This was thanks to the coverage of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London

4 Likes

Nine Perth Content from November 1st, 2008:

Lineups:

Promo Montage:

2 Likes

WIN trying to block the dots on 9 Perth/Adelaide was certainly one of their low points. It was particularly bad on 9HD - where they absolutely mangled the logo to try and cover it up. I dunno if I have a cap lying around but hopefully someone else does of some of those atrocities.

5 Likes

The dotless Nine in Wide World of Sports Logo was another bottom point in NWS9 Adelaide and STW9 Perth.

3 Likes

This?
stw

Image credit @ADstv

11 Likes

Yep, that’s the one. I think it’s possibly the worst bit of TV presentation I’ve seen on Australian TV.

8 Likes

An interesting story about the “Melbourne Bump” in ratings.

1 Like

Very modest New Year’s greeting from ABV2 in 1982. Announcer Graham Evans sporting a very fetching baby blue suit and giving a polite handover to 1983 followed by some (no doubt) stock footage of random fireworks. Quite different to the New Years coverage we might get these days on ABC!

YouTube: Oz TV

3 Likes

Still better and more dignified than the ABC’s diabolical 2013 NYE effort hosted by Lawrence Mooney and Stephanie Brantz.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Channel 9 Perth also had a ‘Still Local Still the One’ slogan on screen. They had the National Nine News |Nightly at 6PM. (taken from 2006)

Their program lineups from 2003-2005 was sometimes voiced by Chris Brown. Did Channel 9 Perth used other voiceovers for the program lineups like Bob Peters and Ken Sparkes?

4 Likes

I had so many videos and caps from the WIN STW era but is on my dead HDD which I still not confident about opening and trying to fix it! One day I will recover it all! Learnt that lesson the hard way and now store all new stuff on a cloud storage

A post was merged into an existing topic: TV History - Questions

A post was merged into an existing topic: TV History - Questions

Dixie Marshall and Sonia Vinci are long gone, Dennis Cometti went to 7 in 2007 but retired in 2016 and Natalia Cooper is now weather girl on Today.

Only Michael Thomson remains at STW-9 in this promo in 2005

3 Likes

Sharlyn Sarac has also left Channel Nine Perth in 2010. I know that there have been a huge amount of changes that have happened over at Nine Perth with staff leaving and departing the network.

2 Likes

Did TVW7 at any point use the Circle 7 logo from the early seventies?

This is a original song recorded for Ten Capital News’ 1996 Xmas tape that’s literally about the news team.

3 Likes

Locally produced Southern Cross Ten idents from 2011: