General News Events - Coverage Discussion

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cs-oy0_oGO6/?igshid=ZjUwM2YwMzA3MA==

Is Heston Russel going to make himself the BRS spokesman? He seems to think that interview went well, posting it on his own Instagram.

1 Like

The statement was made at last year’s AGM a couple of years after the photographs came out in 2020.

2 Likes

Are we expecting a bidding war for the first interview?

Nine has an exclusive of “her first words” tonight. Perhaps an indication? Having run two 60 Minutes stories in recent years perhaps Nine might be seen as a friendly media group that contributed to the pardon.

Agree that there’ll be a bidding war of sorts, but I.don’t think Nine should be expecting any “favours” from Folbigg. I think she’ll go with the highest bidder.

Or it could be simply a reporter from Nine asking her how she feels about her freedom, and her words are “happy to be out” and not much else.

But certainly agree that there will be a bidding war for a sit down interview between Seven and NIne.

It was a bit more than that - she was speaking with supporters right after release “I’m so elated, it’s not funny”. I thought it might be significant that Nine seemed to be the only media there. We have seen in some cases where the deal is already done and the successful channel is following along from very early

2 Likes

Thanks for the response and what her words were.

Am also surprised that no other news media there, apart from Nine, given how big her story is. A deal from Nine does seem quite possible.

isn’t it illegal to pay for an interview under proceeds of crime? A pardon is not an exoneration.

I doubt we’ll see anything substantial until the investigator provides their final report to the Governor (which can be then referred to the Court of Criminal Appeal)

1 Like

Not yet, when the report into the convictions is finished (apparently in “weeks”), it will conclude that there was reasonable doubt then the Court of Appeal can look at it.

sounds like the idea of a bidding war over an interview is at least a decade away.

By which time public interest will have waned.

Looked like seven had very similar vision of her at the home. If I recall correctly, also labeled as exclusive. Maybe neither actually had the exclusive.

Seven had some video as well - looked like social media quality

You could see the camera operator for NIne’s vision

ABC:

This morning

1 Like

News Corp reporting that Seven won the bidding was and will pay more than $400,000 up to $1 million beating other offers, including from Nine for the first sit down interview that will be shown on 7News Spotlight.

Matt Doran on site at Grafton this morning.

3 Likes

News Corp were reporting last night that the vision was sold/given (it wasnt clear, I presume the former) to Seven.

Queensland budget - ABC placed follow up coverage of the NSW bush crash ahead of the state budget. Nine’s seemed part LNP political commercial.

2 Likes

The AGE/SMH have a live stream of the unfolding missing Titanic sub.

2 Likes

A large blast destroyed a suburban home north of Brisbane yesterday and it saw a scramble by Seven and Nine to get and label EXCLUSIVE footage. In the end it all looked pretty much the same.

As usual, what was the lead story on all three commercial bulletins, was pushed to 5th or 6th by ABC that commenced with a story about flu vaccination.

5 Likes

Wonder if we’ll see news delivered / covered by AI in Australia anytime soon?

Maybe not at broadcast level, maybe in a podcast or website form?

2 Likes