General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Reporting from Kyiv in six languages.

9 Likes

I’ve got to say that’s pretty impressive and guaranteed to get him the big jobs around the place although not sure I’d be wanting to go into a potential war zone at any time.

Off topic, but how does this go for stations that send their staff over (not so much freelancers) to dangerous zones like this in terms of insurance and duty of care for future lawsuits etc… if anything goes wrong? I know in the past things have happened, but with the world changing and now it’s a case of getting as close to the action as possible it’s only a matter of time before another incident occurs and these people generally have families back home etc… Is it still a case of “well that’s what you signed up for with the job” or is there a lot more to it now? Thinking about networks like CNN and Seven etc… who have all sent over reporters just for this.

Generally the networks are pretty rigid on what happens and while travel insurances you or I could get don’t cover terrorism, war etc… the exorbitant premiums the network pays do.

I know of at least one network that has 24x7 access to a private international security agency that responds to all manner of possibilities:

• lost/stolen/seized visas and passports
  • access to consular/embassy resources for kidnapping, life threatening incidents in country
  • ability to organise next available passenger flights to anywhere away from the danger zone.

Etc.

This sort of thing has been - pardon the pun - wargamed for decades, and modified to suit the times (terrorism being a notable addition.)

The reason there wasn’t a lot of front line msm coverage of Syria and Afghanistan was because of an inability to guarantee exit strategies for crews that went in.

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the explanation there. I knew there’d have to be something at that makes sense… geez their premiums would be high though!

Channel Nine? Would’ve been useful for that 60 Minutes story a few years ago. :joy:

2 Likes

Ha. One other thing I forgot to include is that those contracts and policies don’t just cover war… but all international travel, and even things as petty theft, emergency cash etc.

2 Likes

Flooding in Queensland looks serious. Coverage on local stations

4 Likes

Nine Queensland will air a local news at 5pm today.

2 Likes

Small window showing media conference waiting for the PM. Worked out that the 4 monitors are ABC News, Seven, Nine and 10 local broadcasts.

Worth noting that today the media were asked to not show people playing / enjoying themselves in the flood waters.

2 Likes

This morning just after 10am an update from SES HQ was given. The Premier’s address featured on all networks with other officials that followed also covered.

Inexplicably half way through the briefings when the Transport Minister was detailing road closures etc the Prime Minister began a “competing” media conference. 10 later showed come of the conference.

Nine close to go with that rather than the local information that.

2 Likes

Questionable story selection on ABC Radio’s PM program tonight. Flooding situation in Lismore got top billing, plenty of coverage, then just one report on the flooding in Brisbane and SEQ. Then onto Ukraine.

Happy to be wrong, but it did strike me as a NSW-centric editorial decision.

Wonder if they used the time difference to flip it for the Brisbane audience. I think they can do that.

1 Like

The little-used giraffe measurement system. :wink:

Much more relatable than the boulder measurement system.

2 Likes

Syd/Bri

4 Likes

Queen’s Birthday Honours 2022

The 2022 Queen’s Birthday Honours list recognises 992 Australians, including 669 in the General Division of the Order of Australia, and awards for meritorious, distinguished and conspicuous service.

These included the following with associated with media.

OFFICER (AO) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION

Professor Mary-Louise McLAWS

NSW
For distinguished service to medical research, particularly to epidemiology and infection prevention, to tertiary education, and to health administration.

The late Mr Shane Keith WARNE

Formerly of VIC
For distinguished service to cricket as a player, role model and commentator, to the community through charitable initiatives, and for philanthropic contributions.

MEMBER (AM) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION

Mrs Alison Jean ANDREWS

Longford TAS 7301
For significant service to the print media, and to the community.

Ms Margaret Helen DENCE

Northbridge NSW 2063
For significant service to the performing arts as an actor.

The late Mr David John LECKIE

Formerly of Robertson NSW 2577
For significant service to the broadcast media through executive roles.

Ms Joanne Maree McCARTHY

NSW
For significant service to the print media as a journalist.

Mr Philip QUAST

NSW
For significant service to the arts as a performer, mentor and educator.

Ms Carol RAYE

NSW
For significant service to the performing arts as an actor and producer.

The late Ms Christine Josephine SHARP

Formerly of Bronte NSW 2024
For significant service to arts administration in a range of roles.

Mrs Helen Elizabeth SJOQUIST

Wahroonga NSW 2076
For significant service to the performing arts, and to youth.

MEDAL (OAM) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION

Mr Billy BAXTER

Mornington VIC 3931
For service to the performing arts, and to radio.

Mr Alexander Graham BELL

Coffs Harbour NSW 2450
For service to community radio, and to country music.

Mr Andrew David BELLAIRS

VIC

Mrs Marilyn BENNET

Castlemaine VIC 3450
For service to radio, and to the community.

Mr Greg CHAMPION

VIC

Mrs Florence FORBES

Bagshot VIC 3551
For service to country music, and to radio presentation.

Mr Terence Roland GALLAWAY

Colyton NSW 2760
For service to the broadcast news media.

Mr John Christopher GATFIELD

Lindfield NSW 2070
For service to veterans, and to broadcast media.

Ms Donna HAY

NSW
For service to the food and hospitality sector as a cook and author.

Mr Jeffrey Daniel McGEE

VIC

Mr Matthew MORAN

NSW
For significant service to the tourism and hospitality industries, and to charitable organisations.

Ms Maeve Catherine O’MEARA

Mosman NSW 2088
For service to the food media industry.

Mr Jeff RICHARDSON

Clifton Hill VIC 3068

Ms Dorothy WEST

Broome WA 6725
For service to first nations media and communications.

David Leckie’s posthumous award was probably the most notable

2 Likes

Almost every current member of the Coodabeen Champions has been awarded in the Queen’s Birthday honours list, including:

Mr Ian James Cover
Barwon Heads VIC 3227
For service to the community through a range of roles.

Also honoured were Maeve O’Meara (Food Safari), Matt Moran (The Great Australian Bake Off), and Donna Hay.

UPDATE 19/6: according to Sunday Herald Sun, Coodabeens co-founder Simon Whelan was missing from this year’s Queen’s Birthday honours list. Jon Anderson reckons Whelan might have been overlooked as he has only returned to the group after taking a long break working as a Supreme Court judge.

1 Like

Graphics for the Queensland budget. The treasurer appeared on all bulletins except Nine.

No graphics on regional news

3 Likes

NSW Budget graphics

2 Likes

Does anyone else find it beyond belief that Chris Reason was the only Australian TV reporter in Kyiv with the new prime minister.

Like talk about a major story. Where was ABC? Reporting from Paris.

Not sure what happened to 9, 10 or Sky. But seriously. Pretty big story don’t you think?

Or am I overreacting?

1 Like

So it goes with foreign war zone coverage while the government is footing the bill.