General News Events - Coverage Discussion

There are now reports the Porsche driver not only fled the scene - but also took gruesome photos and uploaded them online.

1 Like
1 Like

So it appears the Porsche 911 driver fled, having failed a roadside drug test:

Two of the officers pulled over the black Porsche 911 after they clocked it speeding at 140km/h on the freeway.

I can’t help wondering what caused the large refrigerated truck to plough into police cars, which surely would’ve had their warning lights flashing.

Years ago the problems with heavy vehicles on the roads were described, particularly long-haul trucking & fatigue, yet no government action to move freight onto rail, not that it would help with traffic in cities, and of course we don’t yet know what caused this crash; it could have been so many things including a medical incident (seizure, heart attack, stroke, etc.), distracted driving, a mechanical fault with the truck…

The 41-year-old Porsch drive apparently took photos at the crash site and shared them on social media, Mr Ashton told reporters.

The man, who has an extensive criminal history, has since made contact with police and will hand himself in.

PS: Yes the CT story still says “Porsch drive”.

1 Like

It’s previously been reported that the truck driver allegedly had a medical incident, which is believed to be the cause of the crash.

1 Like

The VicPol Commissioner late yesterday said he didn’t know if the medical incident happened before or after the crash.

1 Like

Police have now said he had a medical episode AFTER the crash - some reports said he swerved into the Emergency Lane and drove for hundreds of meters before hitting the cars.

1 Like

It certainly seems hard to believe it was an accident based on what has been said so far. I wonder if the truck had its headlights on or off at the time of the collision. I don’t understand why the officers would have stood there watching a huge truck come at them at speed without dispersing.

I guess the question that police are trying to answer at the moment is whether there is any link between the driver of the truck and the driver of the Porsche.

1 Like

The nature of this accident makes the cynic in me wonder if such a bizarre link would actually be possible.

1 Like

The way the police are investigating it makes me think they suspect organised crime links.

1 Like

Some coverage from Melbourne’s major news bulletins at 5pm, 6pm and 7pm covering this devastating event.

10 News First Melbourne

Nine News Melbourne

Seven News Melbourne
Afternoon News

Evening News

ABC News Victoria

6 Likes

Sorry if this sounds rude but why were 5 images shown if only 4 officers died?

1 Like

it was all the poilice offericers who have died whiles during the duty

1 Like

Gotcha - I wasn’t watching 9 which was why I was confused. Thanks for your help.

Some simple maths shows that a vehicle travelling at 100 km/h covers 555 m in 20 seconds.
So let’s just imagine the police officers occasionally glancing at oncoming traffic, then discussing the next steps in arresting the drug driver and how far away the truck could be before suddenly swerving into the emergency/breakdown lane & killing them.

20 s isn’t long while in conversation, especially when focussed what they’re doing (the arrest).

I don’t see any reason to think that at all.

He also said on ABC Melbourne just before PM last night that witnesses have said the truck was in the right hand lane and swerved across the four lanes and finished in the emergency lane. I guess that’s what investigations are for.

1 Like

If true, my immediate question is why are trucks allowed in the right (fast) lane?
The government should require heavy vehicles to keep to the left two lanes, and police fine heavy vehicle drivers not keeping left.
They should already be fining drivers (all drivers) who don’t keep left unless overtaking.

3 Likes

I have a hunch that section trucks are banned from the rh lane. Been a while since I’ve been there.

2 Likes

The Boroondara Police Station - where the officers were from (and also my local police station) - posting a tribute on Facebook.

5 Likes

Beautiful tribute. Thoughts are with Victoria Police at this difficult time.

4 Likes

Reports that Kim Jong-un is not “gravely ill”; he’s at the beach.

2 Likes