General News Events - Coverage Discussion

No doubt the Daily Telegraph’s motivations are racial and vile…but we’ve had MERS, Spanish flu, Asian flu, Hong Kong flu, Russian flu etc before so is Chinese virus/flu really that bad?

In most circles the current outbreak is being labelled the Wuhan coronavirus, it’s just a name that relates to the origin point.

4 Likes

I think this newspaper article is disgusting and offensive by News Corp.

2 Likes

I think it’s actually the Herald Sun who’s using the “Chinese virus/flu” tagline on their front page, although I certainly wouldn’t put it past The Daily Telegraph to follow suit!

2 Likes

Media Bites covers some of it with Monday’s Media Watch being a bush fire special.

2 Likes

Though SBS also called it the “Chinese virus”,

as have numerous other news outlets around the world including:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uae-confirms-4-cases-of-new-chinese-virus-the-first-in-middle-east/

5 Likes

Well they’re not wrong. Did originate from China.

3 Likes

Spanish flu, German measles, Ebola virus, etc…

It’s a virus… that originated in China… of course they’re going to say “Chinese virus”. Yes they probably could’ve said “virus from China” or just say “corona virus” but I think they’re making a mountain out of a molehill.

If, for example, someone’s horse has been moved from Scotland to another country you’d say it’s a “Scottish horse”. If your friend has a family member visiting from Germany you’d say the relative is a “German (person)”. If a serial killer from Britain made international news he’d be referred to as a “British serial killer”. “Chinese virus” is no different a descriptor than these.

4 Likes
2 Likes

The United Kingdom has officially left the European Union.

5 Likes

Seven News’ Chris Reason has been given an exclusive tour of the Christmas Island detention centre which will be used to keep the Australians returning from Wuhan in quarantine.

His report is here:

Also, people who are not Australian citizens and permanent residents and who have left or transited through mainland China will be barred from entry to Australia from today until further notice.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong I have no doubt that the virus originated from China and in that sense the descriptor is somewhat appropriate. However, this is exactly the type of headlines that will fuel those who are xenophobic or racist to move on and attack and bully the Chinese people because of the virus. I’ve heard from friends and other news reports where Chinese people have been attacked and discriminated by members of the public because of the coronavirus which isn’t exactly the fault of those bullied. In that sense, those headlines are basically pushing for unnecessary xenophobia and also creating an unnecessary amount of fear amongst Australians.

When the Ebola virus outbreak occurred, they didn’t call it the ‘African’ Virus, when the H1N1 flu occurred they called it that so I don’t see why they couldn’t call it the 2019 novel coronavirus instead of ‘Chinese virus’.

In addition, if headlines such as Spanish Flu or African virus was written today it would (and should) be rightly hounded by the public and would also be considered inappropriate (just as I consider this Herald Sun headline to be inappropriate).

Anyway I hope that the virus is eradicated soon and that those who are responsible (people selling wildlife) are brought to justice.

7 Likes

i have subscried to south china morning post based in hong kong on youtube and they did had a video about the xenophic and racists attack’s by people around the world and the people of wuhan are apprently getting atttcked by the rest of china

3 Likes

Only just catching up on MS a bit more after time away. How is your dad now? Hopefully fully recovered.

2 Likes

I think he is ok, but he cannot go to work until 11 Feb. He will still be in an isolated room for another 9 days.

3 Likes

Public memorial service for Kobe Bryant will be held on Tuesday February 24 at Staples Center which will be the early hours of February 25 in Australia.

Expect Sunrise and Today to provide coverage that morning.

3 Likes
6 Likes

The coronavirus which caused more than 1000 deaths worldwide, now has a name.

2 Likes

There was more than the usual amount of tragic news at the top of Queensland bulletins tonight beginning with three children, killed in a burning car that set alight by their father. He is also dead with the mother in serious condition in hospital.

10 News ended their report with the following slide.

While Seven had the following (though it might have been difficult for many to know what it referred to).

2 Likes

Seven is really the only commercial network covering this news event. This is where having a late night bulletin pays off.

Edit: Seven News Perth also broke the news in their 6pm edition.

7 Likes

Nine News on Facebook

Nine really need to bring back Nightline.

3 Likes