General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Just use “alert” like they do for headlines or updates. That’s alarmist enough.

2 Likes

Regarding the state of emergency in Auckland…. Has there been any extra news coverage (from TVNZ or Newshub) for this storm event?

1 Like

Nothing what so ever. It’s barely registering for them.

1 Like

Headlining on Sunrise this morning.

2 Likes

Good to see Sunrise mentioning it. It’s been quiet on the ABC and other channels

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Matches, Hatches, Dispatches

Earthquake in Türkiye
Al Jazeera

CNN

DW news

ABC news

Trt World

France 24

Sky news uk

3 Likes

CNN, France 24, Sky News and DW still calling Turkiye Turkey.

3 Likes

Seems like the death toll is rising fast. Could be a much bigger story tomorrow.

IIRC the 2010 Haiti earthquake was not big news the day it happened but as the death toll skyrocketed over the following week it became the top story. Hopefully this is not that bad, but that can happen.

1 Like

Yeah I mean death toll well over 1,000 now, plus a 7.5-magnitude a few minutes ago - will dominate breakfast news tomorrow you’d assume

1 Like

I’ve also been recording overseas news coverage of the earthquake. Here’s a look at how Turkish and Syrian media have been documenting the earthquake:

TRT Turk:

Syria TV:

Sky News UK:

I’ve uploaded more videos onto my “World” channel.

1 Like

Have there been any Australian crews or Journos on the ground yet? Or are they still relying on other international networks?

Yes as far I know Tom Joyner he was based in Istanbul and Allyson horn for the ABC. Brett Mcleod for channel 9 and Sarah Greenhalgh channel 7.

1 Like

News last night

Tom Joyner

This morning
Allyson Horn

1 Like

2 Likes

Now also in the earthquake zone.

1 Like

Allyson Horn has also entered the quake zone and filed a report for the 7pm bulletin today.

1 Like

That was reported yesreday.

Only the 3rd time a nationwide state of emergency has been declared in New Zealand.

Lara Vella reporting livefrom NZ for Nine on Today and News (with Today mic).

For Seven, a brief mention on Sunrise only then using Newshub at 11:30

Another miss for Seven with coverage of the cyclone after Norfolk.

10 midday also using Michael Morrah

3 Likes

Seven need to get a reporter over to NZ. I’m surprised they have ignored this.