General News Events - Coverage Discussion

Haven’t watched much of the TV coverage but I did see this morning’s presser on Facebook but we’re trying to shelter the kids and also protect ourselves but I do have to make mention of the ABC local radio coverage.

This morning ABC Northern Tasmania breakfast had several interviews and stories but helpful ones like counselling and support and coping with grief. I believe the statewide mornings had similar coverage and then the afternoon program before the cricket coverage was meant to be the final one for the year I feel and essentially it was an unplanned afternoon. All the planning was out the window and it was made a time for people to text or call in or to choose the direction of things. I didn’t hear much but it was a slow paced program if that makes any sense but it was for empathy.

Later on my way home from work I came in halfway through an interview with a grief counsellor and I thought it was a specific one for us and was impressed but it was actually a national one in the PM program. It was all very much appreciated, while the news bulletins had the facts which are still hard to hear, the programming allowed us to grieve and to support each other/feel supported/find where to seek further support.

6 Likes

Hope you are doing ok mate @ando9185

2 Likes

Thanks, doing alright today… so far. We had a big pre-Christmas breakfast planned this morning for a few friends and we wondered yesterday if we needed to pull the pin or not but everyone wanted to do it still to keep going and to have some joy still.
We’re also off to parkrun beforehand because one of the children killed had been attending there so they’ve asked everyone to come down and dress in teal as her favourite colour so I think today life will start to feel a little easier and normal for a while as the shock is subsiding.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Seven News Content and Appearance

Absolutely insane scenes out of the Tongan tsunami this evening. Tsunami marine watch for Qld, NSW, Vic, and Tasmania issued by BoM and more serious warnings for NZ and much of the Pacific.

Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island, both Australian territories, being warned to brace for severe lowland inundation.

Will likely see little coverage until the breakfast shows in Australia, given the timing.

2 Likes

in the meantime this is already discussed in the Climate, Weather and Emergencies thread

2 Likes

This morning. a Queensland police detective was committed to stand trial this morning associated with colluding with and leaking information to the media.

“I am satisfied there is sufficient evidence upon which a jury properly instructed could convict the defendant of an indictable offence with which he is charged,” Mr Quinn said.

The three charges against Detective Swift are two counts of misconduct in public office, and one count of prohibition on communication or publication of protected information.

Detective Swift is accused of leaking to a Nine News journalist the address of the suspect - who was later charged.

Detective Sergeant Justin Suffolk said the Nine News crew’s visit to the suspect’s house, which coincided with the police media unit publicly releasing related CCTV vision, was hoped to provoke conversations between the people inside the house, which had been bugged by investigators.

1 Like

It is related to the CCC’s probe into the journalist (from November last year):

1 Like

Do you think there’ll be rolling coverage on Australian TV if Russia invades Ukraine?

1 Like

There would definitely be rolling coverage on Sky News Australia and the ABC news channel. If the other commercial networks didn’t do rolling coverage, they would probably do special bulletins and updates throughout the day. Or have a lot of coverage in their existing bulletins.

1 Like

Does the ABC have anyone on the ground in Ukraine?
Also, does Seven and Nine have a reporter in the area?

1 Like

Nine has Carrie Anne Greenback and Seven has Sarah Greenhalgh on standby in the Ukraine.

Rolling coverage will depend on what Russia does. If it just becomes fun and games at the border then probably not. That will drag out for months until further agreements come to light. Further inland and civilian deaths, then yes.

1 Like

Seven did live crosses last night during the 6pm news - Live in both AEDT and AEST.

Sydney

Brisbane

4 Likes

I think they had Steve Cannane in Ukraine a good couple of days ago. But he did a live cross from London this morning.

1 Like

This will be a conflict by one major power with another backing the other side, there will absolutely be coverage.

Whether people get bored of it and it gets treated like ongoing wars elsewhere in the world and get only a footnote, or if coverage continues is the real question.

1 Like

10 using CBS correspondent tonight.

5 Likes

Today crossed to CNN correspondent this morning.

1 Like

Makes sense to use CBS journo. No way insurance’s cover two crews for the sake of nationality

I doubt the Ten news budget could be stretched to accommodate expenses like a flak jacket for Gonzo.

2 Likes

Or… they’re making the most of the resources they have access to through their parent company?

Like Nine starting to use NBN reporters instead of sending their own and having double-ups on-location.

1 Like