Gambling advertising

How much do they win per capita?

Slightly less

Would you accept one allowed segment with live odds before start of match/game but no advertising at any other time?

My major problem is the saturation of advertisements well outside of sporting programming on TV. You can’t watch Nine News Sydney without being shouted about SportsBet every ad break.

I’d be happy with that for games starting before 7:30. I reckon after 8pm anything goes.

Better education is the solution IMO.

Neds advertising at Woolworths petrol stations.

I saw that ad from my bus this evening being played at a Powerfuel station. I’m guessing it’s networked.

New gambling ad rules for online content service providers

The Australian Communications and Media Authority has approved new rules restricting gambling advertising during live sport streamed online.

The Broadcasting Services (Online Content Service Provider Rules) 2018 prohibit gambling advertising during live sport that is streamed online between 5.00 am and 8.30 pm. At all other times, gambling advertising is also restricted.

The ACMA developed the rules in line with the Australian Government’s policy of stronger restrictions on gambling advertising during live sport. Associated enabling legislation came into effect on 12 April 2018.

‘This is the first time that online services streaming live sport have been required to comply with gambling advertising restrictions,’ said ACMA Chair, Nerida O’Loughlin.

‘This brings online services in line with television and radio broadcasting services. It creates a safe zone for children and families to watch live sport across a variety of platforms.’

In developing the new regulatory safeguards, the ACMA conducted two rounds of consultation. The ACMA made changes to previous draft rules based on feedback and comments from stakeholders.

The new rules will come into effect on 28 September 2018. The ACMA will closely monitor operation of the new rules and, after 12 months, will consider whether to conduct a formal review of their effectiveness.

Find out more about the new rules.

Gambling websites showing live sport are exempt from the rules, and it’s possible to apply for an exemption if age verification and other restrictions are in place on a service. So it’s not a blanket restriction as ACMA infers in that press release. Horse racing, harness racing and greyhound racing are totally exempt, as they already are with the existing gambling advertising restrictions.

1 Like

Seven West Media director Jeff Kennett calls for a ban on the advertising of gambling on sport.

Tom Waterhouse is using dubious advertising to promote his bet tipping app on his Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages. Andrew Hornery has the story in the SMH.

Oz Lotto sponsored the tucker trial and the BBQ dinner in tonight’s episode of I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. This is a blatant example of gambling advertising. Even though 10 showed the warning message and the phone number for gambling help hotline on the screen prominently in both segments, I feel it may not be enough and the ACMA will have something to say later.

1 Like

Billy Birmingham: hides

Bookmakers will always try to find some loophole in the laws to promote gambling because it is a Very Profitable Business. When the big money talks, ethical principles are silent…

Seven and Nine breach gambling advertising rules

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has found that the Seven Network and Nine Network have each contravened rules around gambling advertising by showing betting promotions during sporting events.

An ACMA investigation found that throughout July and August 2021, Seven aired 49 betting promotions during its Olympic coverage on its Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide broadcasts. Seven was also found to have made gambling advertisements available on its live stream of the Olympics.

A separate investigation found that Nine broadcast a gambling advertisement at 8:21pm during the half-time break of the NRL grand final on 3 October 2021.

Broadcasters are restricted from showing gambling advertising during their coverage of live sporting events shown between 5am and 8:30pm. After 8:30pm gambling ads can be shown but are restricted to defined breaks. For long-form events, such as the Olympics, broadcasters must not show gambling advertising from 5 minutes before the start of the first event of the day until 8:30pm, and not more than once every two hours after that time. These rules also apply to live streams.

ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin said Australians are increasingly concerned about the potentially harmful nature of gambling advertising.

“These rules exist to address community concerns about excessive exposure to betting promotions. Both Seven and Nine are well aware that they have to keep these ads to certain times,” Ms O’Loughlin said.

“Many families enjoy watching sport as a shared activity and parents worry that children exposed to these ads may normalise betting as a part of sport.

“It is disappointing that both networks have failed to meet their responsibilities on such high-profile sporting events.”

Seven and Nine have each entered into court-enforceable undertakings with the ACMA, requiring them to implement systems to avoid breaking the rules again and refresh training for staff responsible for the scheduling and broadcast of gambling advertisements during sports programming. They each must also track the complaints and responses about gambling advertisements.

Additionally, Seven has been issued with a formal warning for its live stream breaches.

Both networks must report back to the ACMA on the training and the effectiveness of their new systems and practices, providing details of how they have resolved any issues that arose during that time.

The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Social Policy and Legal Affairs has recently announced a parliamentary inquiry into online gambling, including reviewing the effectiveness of current gambling advertising restrictions on limiting children’s exposure to gambling products and services. The ACMA intends to make a submission to the inquiry given its regulatory responsibilities and experience.