Future of regional affiliate branding

NBN has a bigger potential audience and rates higher than CTC, so I can understand why Nine has held onto NBN.

2 Likes

Hasn’t it been declining? I recall it being posted here last year that Prime7 finally won the ‘news battle’ or something

In some of the NNSW markets, yes. In the biggest one, Newcastle, it’s still NBN (IIRC). Whether or not they’re using all markets as one big number, I’m not sure.

5 Likes

It was in 2017 that Prime7 Local News had an historic ratings victory over NBN News in the Northern Rivers market.

Not sure how they went in 2018 though, although personally I suspect NBN might’ve beaten them since there was no press release issued by the Prime Media Group last year in relation to the ratings battle for local news in the Northern Rivers region (one suspects they would’ve put one out if they won two years in a row).

3 Likes

why would they?

2 Likes

9 smashed them. 2017 was a load of crap too when you read deeper into the releases.

In Lismore and Coffs, plus Tamworth and Taree, it’s game on this year. 9 is winning a lot more of those areas than they used to. And weekends absolutely smashes 7.

2 Likes

If they wanted to consolidate their resources and takeover another mainland capital city (also noting Canberra being the nations capital), but I can see there are valid points against it too

I’m sure Nine would love the opportunity to own & operate their SNSW/ACT station, but only if the price was right and absolutely not at the expense of the more populated (and higher rating overall) Northern NSW.

3 Likes

Because Seven has had such a stranglehold on regional Australia for so long (wiping the floor in all but one market), it was that market that peaked interest when it was announced Prime7 had made gains, whether it just be news or more, I’m not over the ins/outs, I don’t follow regional ratings on a daily basis and not many seem to care anyway.

So in that regard, Nine wouldn’t want to see declines or losses in Northern NSW.

It has been indicative this year with MKR for example (until a couple of weeks ago maybe) consistently beating Married, across regional Australia, by quite a bit. But it’s polar opposite in metro.

2 Likes

MAFS crushes MKR in Northern NSW too.

3 Likes

I’ve no doubt it does.

I think we’ve moved off topic here, sorry if I’m to blame! Though I was replying to a comment by Littlegezzy which was talking audience :wink:

1 Like

On another note, I would like to see WIN retain its regional branding should Ten take over the station after Bruce Gordon departs. I know its not likely, but this is what i would envisage could integrate the name within the network channels but be under the Ten brand

Rename WIN (main channel) to Ten
Rename SNOW as WIN (replacing duplicate channel 10 Bold channel 12) or possibly create a new channel and name it as WIN (noting that WIN and Ten use 7 channels as opposed to Seven/Prime and Nine/NBN/SCA using 8 channels). Rename Gold to Spree TV .

This most likely won’t happen

1 Like

Would it be fair to say that you have to be a native regional Australian to have a true affinity towards regional TV brands like WIN & Prime?

Similar deal with those 7.30pm “Kids Goodnight” segments I only really became familiar with long after exiting the target demographic, such as Prime7 Possum and NBN’s Big Dog. This Sydneysider has long found such bits of TV to be rather weird, but at the same time I wonder if many regional kids of the 1990s/2000s would be rather nostalgic for such things in a LE giraffe-like way…

8 Likes

Having lived in Sydney most of my life I have always had a soft spot for Nine. I’ve only been in Canberra for about four years and it doesn’t matter who owns the Nine station in Canberra, I really don’t care.

4 Likes

As we have lost a lot of local news. Win News being a shadow of its former self and noodle updates on Sc well below 9 news local standard. 10 shake was a bonus that few people were expecting but with the Daily Show on break now I see nothing else on it I would watch.

For local News I would like to see is SC re instroducing a Weeknights GV style program for at least some Victorian Markets at 6pm. If not Prime7 should try and get a statewide bullitins of its own to compete with Win.

Another major disappointment is Win Television channel offering. I don’t care for 9life but was hoping for 9rush. Wish they just went with mpeg4 across all channels and gave us all channels. If regional television is loosing it soul and want to rebrand to capital city station be on par with them and offer all channels

2 Likes

One could argue that we may have lost the local news regardless - the writing was kind of on the wall when SC/Nine dropped their news service during COVID and then brought back bulletins that were a lot less local.

At some point, there needs to be a realistic discussion whether localism requirements across regional broadcasting are worth retaining and what form they should take - we’re seeing another shift closer to it being just a box-ticking exercise.

I get that the economics of regional media isn’t great, but its because of that we should be talking about what the future should look like - some of what we see now doesn’t really meet any definition of fit-for-purpose, SCA & WINs “noodle” updates are simply a rehashing of something from the local paper or a press release from a local group (often Councils) and the concern that is generated when these local groups start looking at alternate ways to get their message out there often fails to recognise that it’s driven by a lack of consistently available coverage.

7 Likes

In Canberra those short rehashed news updates on SCA 10 really serve no purpose, imo, as you can get more comprehensive local news from the ABC, 2CC/2CA, The Canberra Times, The RiotACT, The Canberra Weekly, City News … and boring old WIN News.

5 Likes

They’re not there for the news/to service the viewer, they’re there for legal requirements.

3 Likes

It’s going to depend on the individual, but I think that rings true in many cases. It would be no different to if TCN-9 were to suddenly rebrand after 65 years of being known as “Channel Nine”. When generations of people grow up with a certain brand, especially one that is so synonymous to an area like WIN is with the Illawarra, you can develop an attachment to that brand over time. “Brand loyalty”, if you will. If you live in an area where that brand isn’t as prominent, such as a metropolitan city where the “Nine” brand is used instead, you’re not going to have that same attachment to it.

3 Likes

I grew up with WIN, Prime, and Southern Cross Ten. I also remember WIN news with Peter Leonard and Prime possum, and long ago I recall Ten Capital news and how good it was (my first house growing up had some nice curtains that were gifted to us from none other than Greg Robson himself).

There’s no magic left for regional viewers anymore, feels like it’s coming straight from Sydney which is a city I don’t affiliate with in any way and feels like a foreign culture.

That being said, there’s no money in regional television and it was doomed from the start (people have been saying so since the beginning of aggregation in the late 80s).

14 Likes