Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

The above bit rates were from the first night during the NRL.

This afternoon (Ninja Warrior on main channel)

8 4.1
80 HD 5.7
81 Gem 2.0
82 Go 4.6
83 Sky 1.9
84 TVSN 1.7
85 Gold 1.0
3 Likes

You’d think they’d lock TVSN/Gold/Sky onto 1.0 and distribute more bits to their proper channels…

3 Likes

I was most surprised by 9Go’s bit rate. At times it was using more than 9HD.

7 Likes

Why is 9Gem’s bitrate nearly as low as the datacasting channels?

1 Like

Gem’s key demo can’t tell the difference

9 Likes

Was 9Gem showing a black and white programme at the time maybe?
I flicked past it this morning and some old B&W thing was airing at the time.

2 Likes

No it was colour movie.

3 Likes

[qoute]

8 6.0
80 HD 8.5 MPEG 4
81 Gem 3.1
82 Go 2.0
83 Sky 1.2 MPEG 4
84 TVSN 1.6 MPEG 4
85 Gold 1.2 MPEG 4

The above bit rates were from the first night during the NRL.

This afternoon (Ninja Warrior on main channel)

8 4.1
80 HD 5.7
81 Gem 2.0
82 Go 4.6
83 Sky 1.9
84 TVSN 1.7
85 Gold 1.0

[/quote]

Update 3 - running across several hours tonight with 9Gem running Wimbledon.

8 2.8
80 HD 4.5
81 Gem 4.6
82 Go 3.0
83 Sky 2.9
84 TVSN 1.8
85 Gold 1.5
5 Likes

Another 9Life promo

3 Likes

Poll time…

Now that we’ve had a few days to observe the changes, was this affilitation swap a good thing on the whole? (eg. no more mappy, but many markets now have less choice in local news).

• Yes
  • No
  • About the same
  • Undecided
  • Don’t care

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m sure if Grant Blakeley saw this he would answer “No”!

4 Likes

Probably yes in some ways (On-Air Presentation, addition of 10 Shake to SCA markets) no in others (reduction in local news, 9Life disappearing until August 1 in many places).

Personally I feel sorry for all those regional viewers (particularly media enthusiasts who have the unenviable task of explaining to their less media savvy family members what’s happening) who are again having to deal with an affiliation swap and very well may have to go through another one in just under two years time.

12 Likes

I’m undecided on this one. While I’m happy to see Mappy gone and I’m happy to see 10 and 9 branding but I’m sad to see regional areas get less choice of local news

4 Likes

Voted “undecided”. As a whole, I feel as though the affiliation swap was a good thing and I think it has panned out reasonably well. However, if i’m being totally honest (and I never thought I’d say this), I actually wish WIN was still the main channel brand.

3 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Future of regional affiliate branding

Imagine the meltdown if Nine rebranded, that would be something. Just too bad Bruce was never able to quite get it to that level.

3 Likes

I remember when they dropped the dots and put the “9” in a box - good times

6 Likes

It was different - but I always preferred ‘dotty’… it felt more normal when the dots were reinstated.

3 Likes

BTW, I meant to something other than Nine or 9.

1 Like