Frayed

Frayed

ABC and Sky (UK) Announce New Comedy Frayed

Internationally-acclaimed, award-winning Australian comedian Sarah Kendall stars in the bittersweet comedy/drama Frayed , a co-commission between ABC and Sky (UK). The 6 x 45’ comedy is the first scripted collaboration between the two broadcasters and is now filming in Newcastle (NSW), Sydney, and London.

Set in 1989, Frayed follows the journey of Sammy Cooper (Sarah Kendall), a fabulously wealthy London housewife who is forced to return to the town in Australia she grew up in. In coming home, Sammy must revisit her past and the events that led her to flee as a teenager years ago.

Painfully funny and sometimes dark, Frayed is full of complex characters, dubious decisions, and unfortunate events; and at its heart is the journey of one flawed family confronting their secrets and trying to find a way back.

Creator/Star Sarah Kendall says: “ I just wanted to visit my family in Newcastle but I ended up shooting a 6 part comedy here for the ABC and Sky. I’m incredibly excited to be given this opportunity. And I also love free flights .”

Sky’s Head of Comedy Jon Mountague says: “We can all relate in some way to complex family drama, which is at the heart of this ingeniously written comedy. Sarah Kendall is an exceptional lead and I’m excited to add Frayed to Sky’s line-up of original British comedy in 2019.”

ABC Head of Comedy Rick Kalowski says: Frayed is among the funniest, but also most moving, pieces I’ve ever had the pleasure to work on. I’d been a fan of Sarah Kendall’s standup for years and am delighted to be collaborating with Sky, Sharon Horgan and Clelia Mountford’s Merman, and Kevin Whyte’s Guesswork to bring Frayed to Australian and worldwide audiences next year.”

Create NSW Acting Director Screen Investment, Engagement and Attraction Sally Regan adds: “ We’re delighted to support such a unique and comical series from Merman and Guesswork. Frayed is an engaging and topical narrative that audiences will warm to as well as generate opportunities for production in regional NSW .”

Frayed is created and written by star Kendall and produced by Merman Television ( Motherland /BBC, There She Goes /BBC, Women on the Verge /UKTV, Catastrophe C4/Amazon), the production company founded and run by award-winning duo Sharon Horgan and Clelia Mountford, in association with Australia’s Guesswork Television (ABC’s Rosehaven, Get Krack!n, Please Like Me ). Joining Sarah Kendall is an exceptional Australian and British ensemble cast to be announced soon.

Frayed will air in 2019 on ABC in Australia and Sky and streaming service NOW TV in the UK. Sky Vision will distribute Frayed internationally.

1 Like

From Wednesday 16 October at 9:05pm

6 episodes x 45 minutes

London, 1988.

Simone Burbeck’s life appears perfect. She lives in a mansion with her perfect husband and children, and her life is a merry-go-round of expensive renovations, dinner parties and school fundraisers.

There’s just one problem: it’s all lies. When her husband has a fatal heart attack in a disastrous session with a prostitute, the true state of their finances is revealed. Simone is broke, homeless and a social outcast. With no other options, and two teenage children to care for, she is forced to return to her family home in Newcastle, Australia. It turns out Simone’s past isn’t quite the story that she told everyone in London. Nothing about Simone is what it appears to be. Oh, and her real name is Sammy.

Sammy plans to cool her heels in Newcastle while she figures out a strategy to get back to London. However, the life and the people she ran away from over 20 years ago slowly pull her back in. Sammy thought she could simply shut the door on her past. But her past is about to bash that door down.

The show will debut on Sky One in UK on September 26.
https://www.chortle.co.uk/other-news/2019/08/19/44064/sky_sets_air_date_for_sarah_kendalls_frayed

Frayed has been nominated for best comedy drama in this year’s C21 International Drama Awards. The winners will be announced during an online International Drama Awards Ceremony on December 2.

UPDATE: it lost to Netflix series After Life.

F R A Y E D

SEASON 2

Sammy Cooper (Sarah Kendall) is finally back in London but lives and secrets unravel further as she and her family deal with the ramifications of season one’s explosive finale - and their Australian past insists on catching up with them.

6x45 episodes

P R O D U C T I O N C R E D I T S

Frayed Season 2 is a Merman and Guesswork Television production for the ABC and Sky (UK). Major production investment from Screen Australia in association with Screen NSW. Creator and Writer: Sarah Kendall. Producer: Nicole O’Donohue. Executive Producers: Clelia Mountford, Sharon Horgan and Kevin Whyte. ABC Executive Producer: Todd Abbott. International sales managed by NBCUniversal Global Distribution on behalf of Sky Studios.

1 Like

Season 2

Sarah Kendall returns to Australia for more laughs as filming commences on season two of Frayed

ABC TV and Screen Australia are proud to announce that a second season of the critically-acclaimed comedy series Frayed , written by and starring UK-based Australian comedian Sarah Kendall , has commenced filming in Sydney.

In the new 6-part season, we find Sammy (Kendall) and her kids, having made it out of Australia, living in a tiny London flat while she frantically tries to prove that her lawyer, Rufus ( Robert Webb ), stole her house. Barely able to make ends meet working in ‘exhaust management’ (she’s a secretary in a muffler repair shop), Sammy is desperate to find a way to reclaim her opulent London life. She must also keep her kids far away from Australia and the truth about what happened to their neighbour.

Meanwhile back down under in Newcastle, an ambitious cop heads up the missing persons case and simply does not believe Sammy’s neighbour would just disappear.

With Jim ( Ben Mingay ), Jean ( Kerry Armstrong ) and Abby ( Alexandra Jensen ) trying to keep their secret hidden, and con artist Bev ( Doris Younane ) lurking on the scene, it’s only a matter of time until Sammy is called back to be a key witness in the case.

Also reprising their roles from season one are Diane Morgan (Fiona), as well as Matt Passmore (Dan), George Houvardas (Chris), Frazer Hadfield (Lenny) and Maggie Ireland-Jones (Tess). Joining them this season are Hamish Michael ( Rosehaven, Janet King ), Jane Hall ( Wentworth, Neighbours ) and rising talent Emma Harvie ( The Letdown , Diary of an Uber Driver ) as Emily.

Frayed debuted on ABC TV in Australia and on Sky in the UK in October 2019. The series was nominated for five AACTA Awards and Kendall also garnered a BAFTA Television Award nomination for Female Performance in a Comedy Programme.

Creator, writer and star Sarah Kendall says “I’m so excited to be home making season 2 of Frayed. The last year has been pretty grim, so we’re all really grateful for this opportunity to bring back a lot of these frankly appalling characters.”

ABC TV Head of Comedy Todd Abbott says “The first season of Frayed made Australians realise that Sarah Kendall is a true triple threat: writer, performer and fashion icon. The second season promises to make her a fully-fledged national treasure, as a stellar cast and top-shelf production team bring to life the sharp, suspenseful, audacious and flat-out funny scripts she has created.”

Executive Producer for Merman, Clelia Mountford says: “We’re delighted to be working with Sarah, the ABC and Sky to bring Frayed and its wonderfully dark humour back for a second season. Sarah’s bold writing and vibrant characterisation, combined with the cast’s fantastic performances received such deserved acclaim for season one, and we’re excited for audiences to see what’s in store as the trail of destruction continues to unfold.”

Created, and written by, and starring Sarah Kendall, Frayed is produced by Merman Television ( Motherland BBC, There She Goes BBC, This Way Up C4/Hulu, Catastrophe C4/Amazon), the production company founded and run by award-winning duo Sharon Horgan and Clelia Mountford, in association with Australia’s Guesswork Television ( Rosehaven , Get Krack!n , Please Like Me ) and Sky Studios. Produced by Nicole O’Donohue & directed by Shaun Wilson. Executive Producers are Clelia Mountford, Sharon Horgan and Kevin Whyte and for ABC, Todd Abbott.

Frayed Season 2 will film in both Australia and the UK and airs later in 2021 on ABC TV and ABC iview.

Season 2

From Wednesday 29 September at 9pm

The wait is nearly over… Frayed season two launching this month

It’s time to grab the shoulder pads and head back to the 1980s once again. The highly-acclaimed, six-part comedy series Frayed , written by and starring the multi-talented Australian comedy star Sarah Kendall, is set to return to ABC TV and ABC iview from Wednesday 29 September at 9pm.

Season two kicks off in London, where the lives and secrets of the Cooper family continue to unravel as they deal with the ramifications of season one’s explosive finale, and their Australian past insists on catching up with them.

Having made it out of Australia, Sammy (Sarah Kendall) and her kids, Lenny (Frazer Hadfield) and Tess (Maggie Ireland-Jones), find themselves living in a tiny London flat, as Sammy frantically tries to prove that her lawyer, Rufus (Robert Webb), stole her house. Barely able to make ends meet working in ‘exhaust management’ (she’s a secretary in a muffler repair shop), Sammy is desperate to find a way to reclaim her opulent London life. She also needs to keep her kids far away from Australia and the truth about what happened to their neighbour, Terry.

Meanwhile back down under in Newcastle, an ambitious cop named Fairbank (Hamish Michael) has been brought in to head up the missing persons case and simply does not believe Terry would just disappear. With Jim (Ben Mingay), Jean (Kerry Armstrong) and Abby (Alexandra Jensen) trying to keep their secret hidden, and con artist Bev (Doris Younane) lurking on the scene, it’s only a matter of time before the truth catches up with Sammy.

Frayed debuted on ABC TV in Australia and on Sky in the UK in October 2019. The series was nominated for five AACTA Awards and Kendall also garnered a BAFTA Television Award nomination for Female Performance in a Comedy Programme.

Production Credits: Frayed Season 2 is a Merman and Guesswork Television production for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and Sky Studio. Major production investment from Screen Australia in association with Screen NSW. Created and Written by: Sarah Kendall. Directed by Shaun Wilson. Producer: Nicole O’Donohue. Executive Producers: Clelia Mountford, Sharon Horgan and Kevin Whyte. ABC Executive Producer: Todd Abbott. International sales managed by NBCUniversal Global Distribution on behalf of Sky Studios.

Warning spoiler:

Damn another cliffhanger

1 Like
1 Like

I hope that means we are assured a third season.

1 Like